Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Report: Fiat raises Chrysler ownership to 30%

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-11, 09:34 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Report: Fiat raises Chrysler ownership to 30%

Report: Fiat raises Chrysler ownership to 30%

Last week ,we told you that Fiat had plans to increase its stake in Chrysler within the next couple of weeks, and the automaker is apparently running ahead of schedule. The Detroit News reports that the Italian concern has officially purchased an additional five percent of the Auburn Hills, MI-based automaker, bringing the total to 30 percent. It's the second ownership increase for Fiat in 2011, as the automaker only announced that it was increasing its stake to 25 percent in January.

The second five percent comes after met a condition stipulating that Fiat sell a Chrysler product in 90 percent of dealerships in Brazil while also achieving $1.5 billion in revenue outside of North America. The automaker reportedly struggled to reach an agreement with dealers in Brazil to sell Chrysler-badged vehicles, so a second stipulation was rewritten to account for Chrysler vehicles re-badged as a Fiat. That vehicle is the Fiat Freemont shown above, which is essentially a Dodge Journey with a Fiat badge.

The Detroit News says Fiat likely won't hit its final bogey of achieving 35 percent ownership until the fourth quarter, when a Fiat-based Dodge hits the market. That vehicle will need to hit 40 miles per gallon in highway driving, which suggests the vehicle may be based on the Fiat 500.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/04/12/r...nership-to-30/
Old 04-13-11, 02:46 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

is there any small hatchback that gets 40mpg on highway? Nope.

Why? Because they use smaller engines who are not as efficient at highway speeds and because their overall shape is not that aerodynamic.

so there is no way that Dodge would be 500 based... Dodge does not need such car at all. It needs to be small sedan with 1.8l engine.
Old 04-13-11, 03:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
is there any small hatchback that gets 40mpg on highway? Nope.
In the American market, with EPA ratings, among non-hybrids, some versions of the Ford Focus, Fiesta, Hyundai Elantra hatchbacks do....so does the VW Golf TDI diesel. There may be some others too, but I don't have time to individually check each one. Small Hybrid hatchbacks like the Honda Insight and Toyota Prius, of course, do even better.

Why? Because they use smaller engines who are not as efficient at highway speeds and because their overall shape is not that aerodynamic.
Gearing also plays a factor. In general, unless it is down to the point where the engine is lugging from too-low RPM, taller gearing will give you better mileage, fewer RPMs and less wear on the engine, and shorter gearing will give you more RPMs, lower mileage, and more wear on the engine.

so there is no way that Dodge would be 500 based... Dodge does not need such car at all. It needs to be small sedan with 1.8l engine.
The Detroit News says Fiat likely won't hit its final bogey of achieving 35 percent ownership until the fourth quarter, when a Fiat-based Dodge hits the market. That vehicle will need to hit 40 miles per gallon in highway driving, which suggests the vehicle may be based on the Fiat 500.
I don't see, though, what an arbitrary figure like 40 MPG (or any other EPA figure) has to do with Fiat's percentage-stake stake in Chrysler.
Old 04-13-11, 05:40 AM
JessePS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Someone down the street from my work has a Fiat 500. I had to stop and look at it. I am actually surprised they are already for sale in Canada.
Old 04-13-11, 07:04 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the 500s are also available here in Socal. Dealerships are starting to take shape and some dealers have already taken delivery--even if the dealership itself isn't open yet.
Old 04-13-11, 07:38 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
In the American market, with EPA ratings, among non-hybrids, some versions of the Ford Focus, Fiesta, Hyundai Elantra hatchbacks do....so does the VW Golf TDI diesel. There may be some others too, but I don't have time to individually check each one. Small Hybrid hatchbacks like the Honda Insight and Toyota Prius, of course, do even better.

Gearing also plays a factor. In general, unless it is down to the point where the engine is lugging from too-low RPM, taller gearing will give you better mileage, fewer RPMs and less wear on the engine, and shorter gearing will give you more RPMs, lower mileage, and more wear on the engine.

I don't see, though, what an arbitrary figure like 40 MPG (or any other EPA figure) has to do with Fiat's percentage-stake stake in Chrysler.
Fiat 500 is car significantly smaller than Focus, Fiesta, even Yaris.
Old 04-13-11, 09:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
Fiat 500 is car significantly smaller than Focus, Fiesta, even Yaris.
Like I said in the earler post, could be the gearing. Shorter gearing, which is sometimes necessary with smaller engines to overcome the lack of torque (especially with us big, heavy Americans on board), can contribue to lower mileage, even on a smaller car. The U.S.-spec Fiat 500 engine is only 1.4L.....and has less than 100 ft-lbs. of torque. That means that a fair amount of throttle pressure, and short gearing, may be needed to help it keep up with traffic.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-13-11 at 09:56 AM.
Old 04-13-11, 10:11 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Like I said in the earler post, could be the gearing. Shorter gearing, which is sometimes necessary with smaller engines to overcome the lack of torque (especially with us big, heavy Americans on board), can contribue to lower mileage, even on a smaller car. The U.S.-spec Fiat 500 engine is only 1.4L.....and has less than 100 ft-lbs. of torque. That means that a fair amount of throttle pressure, and short gearing, may be needed to help it keep up with traffic.
Some facts (for a change) about the Fiat 500:

6 speed tranny setup: 4:03 rear end with .672 top gear
5 speed tranny (manual) setup: 3.73 rear end with .766 top gear
Old 04-13-11, 10:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Some facts (for a change) about the Fiat 500:

6 speed tranny setup: 4:03 rear end with .672 top gear
5 speed tranny (manual) setup: 3.73 rear end with .766 top gear
What I said about the Fiat 500's U.S.-spec 1.4L engine was a fact.....it has only 101 HP and 98 ft-lbs. of torque. My statement on the gearing was part speculation and part fact.
Old 04-13-11, 10:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Last week ,we told you that Fiat had plans to increase its stake in Chrysler within the next couple of weeks, and the automaker is apparently running ahead of schedule. The Detroit News reports that the Italian concern has officially purchased an additional five percent of the Auburn Hills, MI-based automaker, bringing the total to 30 percent.
Wonder if Uncle Sam is getting any of that money from Fiat. The U.S. government holds part of Chrysler's present shares, and if Fiat is buying up more of them, then someone else has to own less...and pocket from the sales.
Old 04-13-11, 10:38 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

What I said about the Fiat 500's U.S.-spec 1.4L engine was a fact.....it has only 101 HP and 98 ft-lbs. of torque. My statement on the gearing was part speculation and part fact.
Here we go again with the part speculation and part fact, not that anybody cares. Because nobody cares.

All I did was bring more facts into the disucussion on gearing.
Old 04-13-11, 10:38 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Wonder if Uncle Sam is getting any of that money from Fiat. The U.S. government holds part of Chrysler's present shares, and if Fiat is buying up more of them, then someone else has to own less...and pocket from the sales.
I was wondering the same thing, good question on the exit strategy for US.