Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo X Hemi **JUNK**

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-11, 09:54 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I worked for Nissan and BMW a quart in a 1000 miles was when we replaced the engine.
Old 04-07-11, 03:12 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Anybody else own the new/current gen JGC?
I just got a new 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, but it has the Pentastar V6, not the Hemi. Only 700 miles so far (only had it 1 week). I've been researching and following the Grand Cherokee forums since the new style (WK2) came out last June/July and I find the Grand Cherokee to be an amazingly solid all around vehicle.

I really wanted to like the new 4Runner (I had a previous 2003 4Runner) but after driving them back to back, the new Grand Cherokee was much more luxurious and had way more features for the money. I felt that it wasn't even close in competition between the two. The Jeep Grand Cherokee's suspension and ride is well balanced and very "european" in flavor.

In reference to the OP's problems. I don't have any of the electrical or mechanical or efficiency issues so far that he had. I also have a different engine though. My dealer is also first rate in terms of how I'm treated so that could play a role later as well.

Overall I'm very impressed with the Grand Cherokee, it's my first American vehicle and I've had over 10 vehicles in the past 12 years.
Old 04-07-11, 04:06 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pbm317 - Thanks for your input on 1st 700 miles of ownership of JGC. I've driven 2 of the new JGC's w/Penstar V6 and was impressed with both rigs (in terms of refined power, ride/handling, quietness, comfort, styling, roominess, etc.). Keep us posted on your observations over time please, many of us have SUV's as 2nd or 3rd vehicles.
Old 04-07-11, 04:09 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
lol wut? German car does well in German survey. Wow (paging CDN Rockies)
TUV rated ML around 60th place for 2010... which is rather ok for MB, they used to be much worse.

but of course... there are 60 other cars in front of it :-)
Old 04-07-11, 05:06 PM
BLUEGXLVCR
Driver

Originally Posted by COOLIS
The press gives the NEW American cars rave reviews. They start off good, but over time they fall apart. This is where the Japanese pull ahead. I think you made the right choice getting rid of the Jeep, but you bought a Mercedes ML? The ML is notorious for having issues. I hope you got a factory warranty with the car. You said its a 2009, so i'm sure its still in effect. I would contact Mercedes and see if you have the option to extend the warranty because you will need it. I'm in no way trying to put you down, but the ML is know in the auto industry as being troublesome. Its built in Alabama, so that could be the issue.
I agree with you on the first gen, they were problematic in a big way. The current gen has no relation to Chrysler, no Daimler/Chysler on the door. It was built in Alabama though. Which I was concerned with honestly.

From what I could tell, Chrysler drug Mercedes into the toilet and they (mercedes) are working hard to get out of that hole. I did get the extended warranty for four years or 75K miles. I didn't pay extra for it but was given to me as I asked many of the same questions that are coming up on this forum.

Originally Posted by nixx621
Uhh I may be mistaken but isn't Mercedes owned by Chrysler? From what I've heard and some my friends have exp it sounds like you traded one junker for another. Just my 2 cents...
We'll see. Chrysler does not own Mercedes any longer.

I do feel I ended up with a lemon and it's the lack of service or concern that drove me over the edge to get rid of it. I have owned way to many cars to admit and none of them burned oil, including one with 400K+ miles. Of course, I did do a few headgaskets on that one.

For me, I'm finished with GM and Chrylser. I may give Ford a shot as I've never owned one but I have had ZERO success with GM and Chrylser. Maybe my expectations are too high as all the rest have been Toyotas and Lexus? We'll see about Mercedes. Never owned one before but so far it's very nice.
Old 04-07-11, 07:58 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
I had a car with the 3.0l Ford duratec and it consumed (not burned, not oil smoke, exhaust clean as whistle) 1qt every 3000 miles from day one and continued to do so till I sold it 7.5 years later with 120,000miles on it.
Originally Posted by IS-SV
Many of the earlier Ford "modular" SOHC (2 value per cylinder) V8's did the same. The later versions (06-10 for example) typically use minimal oil between 5-7K mile oil change intervals.
true enough IS-SV! i had my explorer V8 (3v 4.6L) oil changed today and the service ticket said 'no oil used' about the old oil and i had not added any since the last oil change about 5-6k ago (synthetic).
Old 04-07-11, 08:57 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by BLUEGXLVCR
I agree with you on the first gen, they were problematic in a big way. The current gen has no relation to Chrysler, no Daimler/Chysler on the door. It was built in Alabama though. Which I was concerned with honestly.

From what I could tell, Chrysler drug Mercedes into the toilet and they (mercedes) are working hard to get out of that hole. I did get the extended warranty for four years or 75K miles. I didn't pay extra for it but was given to me as I asked many of the same questions that are coming up on this forum.

We'll see. Chrysler does not own Mercedes any longer.

I do feel I ended up with a lemon and it's the lack of service or concern that drove me over the edge to get rid of it. I have owned way to many cars to admit and none of them burned oil, including one with 400K+ miles. Of course, I did do a few headgaskets on that one.

For me, I'm finished with GM and Chrylser. I may give Ford a shot as I've never owned one but I have had ZERO success with GM and Chrylser. Maybe my expectations are too high as all the rest have been Toyotas and Lexus? We'll see about Mercedes. Never owned one before but so far it's very nice.
Uhh that is not what happened. Chrysler was doing well sitting in billions in cash in the late 1990s. Benz was hurting. The merger of equals was an acquisition. Mercedes raped chrysler of its resources, invested in Mercedes and gave Chrysler some old German parts/platforms. Mercedes put all their big wigs in charge. Look at how Benz expanded while Chrysler was given crap to work with.

Benz then sold them an still hold 20%. Its a shame really.

Old 04-07-11, 09:01 PM
ggravant
Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Uhh that is not what happened. Chrysler was doing well sitting in billions in cash in the late 1990s. Benz was hurting. The merger of equals was an acquisition. Mercedes raped chrysler of its resources, invested in Mercedes and gave Chrysler some old German parts/platforms. Mercedes put all their big wigs in charge. Look at how Benz expanded while Chrysler was given crap to work with.

Benz then sold them an still hold 20%. Its a shame really.
^This is accurate