Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Camaro Convertible has arrived

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-11, 06:53 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i think it's an ugly car, with ugly guages, and the most worthless rear seats possible.

it will sell though...
Ever seen SC430 back seats?

It boggles my mind why some cars even have back seats. In the case of SC430, because of the back seat you couldn't have the seat all the way back and reclined. If you wanted the seat reclined, it would automatically move forward, and if you moved all the way back, it would automatically go into upright position - so if you're no 40" tall there's no way to get comfortable inside it. I really wanted to get SC430 a few years back, but since I'm not 40" tall I could barely fit in the seat, and the metal pillar? on top of the windshield was right at my eye level.

That combined with no ventilated seats and still no AUX, I had to pass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kbdyg7xxZ6g

Last edited by Och; 03-18-11 at 06:58 AM.
Old 03-18-11, 10:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
No need to remember, because most Car Chat (being knowledgeable) members know that these casual observations/common knowledge about extra weight/reinforcements added to stiffen the car, insignificant changes in CG and thicker appearing windshield pillars were not intended to increase rollover safety. All these additional stiffeners were designed to stiffen the chassis and the net result is still less chassis rigiity (and a less capable chassis) than the coupe version. As I simply stated, the Camaro convertible has no rollover protection and GM isn't attempting to design-in or claim any such protection (the car is exempt from US rollover regs, so GM decided to not address the safety issue). Not that this is uncommon in convertibles, including Corvette and Mustang both very popular convertibles for example and the incident of rollerovers should not be any higher than equivalent coupes.
You may (?) have missed my point. I agree that less weight in the ragtop and more weight underneath in chassis stiffening won't necessarily prevent rollovers...nor is it designed solely for occupant-protection. But, from the laws of physics, it does make rollovers less-likely. That's all I was saying.
Old 03-18-11, 10:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

i think it's an ugly car, with ugly guages, and the most worthless rear seats possible.

Originally Posted by Och
Ever seen SC430 back seats?
I have to agree...the SC430's rear seats are among the most worthless I've ever encountered.....except maybe on the old Mazda MX-3 coupe of the early 90's.

But, let's be honest....are there ANY small or smallish convertibles out there that have seats fit for adults? Outside of the Chrysler Sebring ragtop and possibly the now-discontinued Solara convertible, I haven't seen any....and the Solara and Sebring ragtops were done off mid-sized platforms, not a pony-car like a Camaro.
Old 03-18-11, 10:41 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You may (?) have missed my point. I agree that less weight in the ragtop and more weight underneath in chassis stiffening won't necessarily prevent rollovers...nor is it designed solely for occupant-protection. But, from the laws of physics, it does make rollovers less-likely. That's all I was saying.
We know that, even without the fake physics lesson (mainly an assumption about decreased chance of rollover due to insignificant assumed changes in CG, not taking into account the decreased capabilities of the chassis that could actually increase the chance of rollover which just adds to the guessing) . Nobody missed your point.

None of above changes the fact that Camaro convertible has no rollover protection by design. It's that simple.
Old 03-18-11, 10:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

None of above changes the fact that Camaro convertible has no rollover protection by design. It's that simple.
Yes, true, but the Camaro does meet NHTSA convertible-safety standards...or else it wouldn't be on sale in the U.S. Are you saying, then, that NHTSA/DOT needs to toughen up the convertible-rollover standards to require pop-up rollover devices like on Porsches, or a fixed U-Bar like on the PT Cruiser ragtop? If so, then I understand your point.
Old 03-18-11, 10:49 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I have to agree...the SC430's rear seats are among the most worthless I've ever encountered.....except maybe on the old Mazda MX-3 coupe of the early 90's.

And the Porsche 911 simulated back seats too.
Old 03-18-11, 10:56 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, true, but the Camaro does meet NHTSA convertible-safety standards...or else it wouldn't be on sale in the U.S. Are you saying, then, that NHTSA/DOT needs to toughen up the convertible-rollover standards to require pop-up rollover devices like on Porsches, or a fixed U-Bar like on the PT Cruiser ragtop? If so, then I understand your point.
No, convertibles are exempt from rollover safety regs in the United States, so from a rollover safety standpoint, nothing to comply with.

The US government does not tell or require Porsche, BMW, Mercedes to achieve rollover safety with convertibles (being responsible and safety-oriented they figure it out on their own and use both fixed roll bars and pop up roll bars depending on model and configuration). For example, the Porsche Boxster rollover safety mechanisms (windshield frame and fixed roll hoops specifically) are designed to support 2.5 times the cars weight.
Old 03-18-11, 11:05 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The US government does not tell or require Porsche, BMW, Mercedes to achieve rollover safety with convertibles (being responsible and safety-oriented they figure it out on their own and use both fixed roll bars and pop up roll bars depending on model and configuration).
I understand that. My question, though, is if that is what you yourself were advocating....stricter government standards for convertible rolllovers? If so, you are not alone in that desire.

Anyhow, back to the specific Camaro convertible. Now that both the Mustang and Camaro have born-again retro ragtops, it will be interesting to see if the Challenger follows suit. I remember the purple (Dodge....Plum Crazy/Plymouth....In-Violet) Challenger and Barracuda convertibles from 1970....they were especially neat-looking with the white-vinyl interior.
Old 03-18-11, 11:17 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I understand that. My question, though, is if that is what you yourself were advocating....stricter government standards for convertible rolllovers? If so, you are not alone in that desire.

Anyhow, back to the specific Camaro convertible. Now that both the Mustang and Camaro have born-again retro ragtops, it will be interesting to see if the Challenger follows suit. I remember the purple (Dodge....Plum Crazy/Plymouth....In-Violet) Challenger and Barracuda convertibles from 1970....they were especially neat-looking with the white-vinyl interior.
Not so much an question of advocating, just increasing the awareness with factual info for convertible shoppers here at CL. CL convertible shoppers have many choices and this is one important safety aspect to be aware of. I know many car shoppers do consider safety as part of the buying decision.

Yes, we have discussed the white interiors for convertibles on Car Chat threads before. Personally after owning several convertibles, I find a very light colored interior (especially white) to be hard to keep clean.
Old 03-18-11, 11:42 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, we have discussed the white interiors for convertibles on Car Chat threads before. Personally after owning several convertibles, I find a very light colored interior (especially white) to be hard to keep clean.
I think light-colored convertible interiors were done for when the car is out in the sun with the top down. Dark colored-vinyl or leather, sitting in a high sun, is a good formula for burnt legs, especially with short pants on.

Light-colored seats, with a little care, are generally easier to care for than carpeting (I know, I have an Outback with very light-beige seats and carpet). If you don't eat/drink or smoke in the car, and you get in and out with clean dry clothes on, the seats will generally stay nice a long time. But light carpeting definitely needs protection, especially in wet weather or dirty shoes. The best way to do that is with all-rubber floor mats, care in where you place your feet, and occasional scrubbing around the edges.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-18-11 at 08:27 PM.
Old 03-18-11, 02:31 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by caddyowner
^^^
I recall that GM said the convertible would be coming at a later date. There was some fear that it would be cancelled due to the company's problems.
At first they said no convertible. Then they announced at a later date there would be one.
Old 03-18-11, 02:53 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I happy to hear that the drop top is coming. I loved the super sport I rented for a week in Hawaii last year and I know that the loss of the roof is only going to make that motor sound that much sweeter. I can imagine one dropped on a set of 22's with an exhaust. DAMN!!! that would be cool to drive
Old 03-18-11, 05:00 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks good in black/black.
Old 03-18-11, 07:09 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

and the most worthless rear seats possible.
wrong, they work damn good at throwing a bag or two of groceries back there

and I like the gauges....!!

but I would never, ever buy a ragtop.....hardtop FTW!
Old 03-18-11, 08:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

and the most worthless rear seats possible.
Originally Posted by bagwell
wrong, they work damn good at throwing a bag or two of groceries back there

True, they aren't necessarily worthless as a package shelf (I mentioned that in one of my earlier posts), but bitkahuna is right....................you can pretty forget about putting adult-sized humans back there. As credible car seats, they are pretty much worthless.