Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

First Drive: 2012 Acura TL

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-11, 04:24 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by whoster
So where does the TL fit in? Is it an E-segment vehicle like the 5/E/GS/A6?
I believe it's in the same class as the ES350, although it use to compete with the 3-series and C-class. It grew too big which I think is a big mistake. If you want a bigger car, make another one and name it something else. I really hate it when the manufacturers intentionally increase the size of the car. This generation Civic is roomer than the Accord of a few generation back. If I wanted a bigger car, I would have bought an Accord.
Old 03-10-11, 05:28 PM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This TL remains a car I will never touch.... It's ugly from its bones so any cosmetic changes are wasting money...
Old 03-11-11, 01:26 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
I believe it's in the same class as the ES350, although it use to compete with the 3-series and C-class. It grew too big which I think is a big mistake. If you want a bigger car, make another one and name it something else. I really hate it when the manufacturers intentionally increase the size of the car. This generation Civic is roomer than the Accord of a few generation back. If I wanted a bigger car, I would have bought an Accord.
so, if you were shopping for 15k Civic or Corolla, you would have purchased 20k Accord?

Besides, there is now smaller fit, which is still a bit smaller than old Civic but has more space.
Old 03-11-11, 05:34 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by spwolf
so, if you were shopping for 15k Civic or Corolla, you would have purchased 20k Accord?
Yes I would be willing to pay more to get more.
Old 03-11-11, 08:02 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
Yes I would be willing to pay more to get more.
not sure what that means... you have Fit now at the price and size of old Civic.
So you have same or even more choice today in that size category.

and most people buying 15k cars dont have money for 20k ones.
Old 03-11-11, 08:20 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Good point. Let me go to my local Honda dealership and look for a Fit in Sedan/Coupe form. Oh right, there are none..
Old 03-11-11, 08:59 AM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

This is something I would actually consider now. I plan on stopping by an Acura dealer when I get the chance to check this one out.
Old 03-11-11, 09:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Those statements are completely false. Have you ever even sat in and drove a TL, TSX, and Accord? A TL is not just a accord with badges and SH-AWD(not all TLs even have awd) TSX is not just a 4 banger Accord, they are very different cars. The TSX is very close to a Euro Accord but the Euro Accord and US Accord are very different cars intended for different types of buyers. TLs have completely different interiors then Accords that are higher in quality, have more hp, have more standard features and more options, they don't share any body panels, the TL has a more solid sporty ride with more sound insulation, etc. TSX is smaller, more focused, and sportier then the US Accord with a nicer interior.

Just because a car shares the same basic platform does not mean it is going to be the same car and can't be executed differently. If you are going to say that then a ES is just a Camry with different badges, A RX is just a highlander with different badges, a LX is just a Landcruiser with different badges, a Bently Continental is just a Pheaton with different badges, a Rolls Royce Ghost is just a 7 series with different badges, a G35 is just a 350Z, a SC300 was just a Supra with different badges, etc. Most Acuras, Infinits, and Lexus were or are also sold as Toyota, Honda, and Nissan models in Japan and other markets.

As far as choosing a Volvo over a TL have fun with Volvo's notorious poor reliability and high maintenance prices and not having the resale value of Acuras. If I am going to get a pricey unreliable European car I would at least get one with rwd and a prestigious badge like a BMW or Mercedes.
Good post, UDel. You are mostly correct......although some Volvos have been improving therir reliability lately.
Old 03-11-11, 10:28 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

it's an improvement.

it is still not a beauty.

it will sell better.
Old 03-11-11, 11:27 AM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you ever even sat in and drove a TL, TSX, and Accord?
I used to own a TSX 05 and a MDX 05 so I know Acura. The TSX is ok. Its a nice commuter and it did me good. Over time though it started to **** me off.

A TL is not just a accord with badges and SH-AWD(not all TLs even have awd) TSX is not just a 4 banger Accord, they are very different cars. The TSX is very close to a Euro Accord but the Euro Accord and US Accord are very different cars intended for different types of buyers.
Being a part of a TSX owners club for awhile many TSX owners envy the Euro (ACCORD). The cars are not different at all except the engine and in 06 the Euro got the dog 2.4. You know what was not an Accord clone. 08 TL-S.

TLs have completely different interiors then Accords

NOPE...... hell no. Looks the same to me.

have more hp
TL: 280-hp, 3.5-liter, VTEC®, V-6 engine
2010 Accord: 271, VTEC®, V-6 engine

Owwww 9 hp difference. Most people get the TL 3.5

TL SH-AWD: 305-hp, 3.7-liter, VTEC®, V-6 engine

have more standard features and more options, they don't share any body panels, the TL has a more solid sporty ride with more sound insulation, etc.
Yeah you right.

TSX is smaller, more focused, and sportier then the US Accord with a nicer interior.
My experience with an 05 TSX 6speed

1. ****ty 2.4 and not enough power for a 3500lb sedan in 3 series price range. Got tired of revving to 7.5k to merge into traffic.
2. TSX ride was stiff as stiff as my Mazda 3.
3. The TSX handles avg. at best. FWD 3500lb didn't help. The TSX is not sporty.
4. Interior was just like my coworkers accord 06 v6. I could not tell a huge OMG difference even the heated switches where in the same place.
5. SLOW
6. SLOW
7 Got tired of people calling it an Accord.

As far as choosing a Volvo over a TL have fun with Volvo's notorious poor reliability and high maintenance prices and not having the resale value of Acuras. If I am going to get a pricey unreliable European car I would at least get one with rwd and a prestigious badge like a BMW or Mercedes.
Why you hate on Volvo.

I got warranty for reliability. The UGLY TL can't be fixed It needs a new design from scratch.

Volvo has a more prestigious look then any Acura 2009 and up.

VOLVO AND LEXUS FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!
Old 03-11-11, 12:42 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

LOL @ ugly can't be fixed

QFTMFT!!!
Old 03-11-11, 12:50 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by lexmenow
... On another note they copied the s60 r design front bottom.

Volvo is FIRE!

Would defiantly buy a Volvo over a tl any day
Originally Posted by lexmenow
I used to own a TSX 05 and a MDX 05 so I know Acura. The TSX is ok. Its a nice commuter and it did me good. Over time though it started to **** me off. ...

NOPE...... hell no. Looks the same to me.
if you think those 2 cars of those two interiors are alike, i suggest a visit to an optometrist.

My experience with an 05 TSX 6speed
05 is not much like the current TSX, but yeah, we get it, you didn't like it.

Why you hate on Volvo.
i've found volvos to be solid, and pretty quick, but they have such a confused message and pricing... somewhat luxurious but still pretty spartan inside. they have some hotter engines but the handling tends to be terrible. they've had wagons with tiny rubber band tires which make no sense. they used to be boxy, now they're not much different than anyone else. in summary: nothing special.

Volvo has a more prestigious look then any Acura 2009 and up.
must be why volvo sells like marmite in this country.
Old 03-11-11, 02:24 PM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
if you think those 2 cars of those two interiors are alike, i suggest a visit to an optometrist.

05 is not much like the current TSX, but yeah, we get it, you didn't like it.

i've found volvos to be solid, and pretty quick, but they have such a confused message and pricing... somewhat luxurious but still pretty spartan inside. they have some hotter engines but the handling tends to be terrible. they've had wagons with tiny rubber band tires which make no sense. they used to be boxy, now they're not much different than anyone else. in summary: nothing special.

must be why volvo sells like marmite in this country.
Go test drive the new s60 its FIRE!!!!!! I love my s60r and what the heck is marmite LOL.
Old 03-11-11, 03:34 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

[QUOTE=lexmenow;6215980]

"NOPE...... hell no. Looks the same to me."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not sure how you get they look the same. That picture proves they are not the same or don't even really look alike. They look very different to me. I have never heard anyone say a TL interior looks the same as Accord. They might have some slight design execution similarities but that can be also apply to other brands. Overall it is a different design, the materials are more solid and high quality in Acura's also.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"TL: 280-hp, 3.5-liter, VTEC®, V-6 engine
2010 Accord: 271, VTEC®, V-6 engine

Owwww 9 hp difference. Most people get the TL 3.5

TL SH-AWD: 305-hp, 3.7-liter, VTEC®, V-6 engine"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Camry has 268hp and the ES350 has 268-272, is that also a big problem. What about the IS250, HS, CT compared to Toyota's?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"My experience with an 05 TSX 6speed

1. ****ty 2.4 and not enough power for a 3500lb sedan in 3 series price range. Got tired of revving to 7.5k to merge into traffic.
2. TSX ride was stiff as stiff as my Mazda 3.
3. The TSX handles avg. at best. FWD 3500lb didn't help. The TSX is not sporty.
4. Interior was just like my coworkers accord 06 v6. I could not tell a huge OMG difference even the heated switches where in the same place.
5. SLOW
6. SLOW
7 Got tired of people calling it an Accord."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.The 05 TSX was a little over 3300lbs, the 3 series was quicker but much more expensive when you added similar options, actually the prices were not even really close between the sub 30K 05 TSX and a optioned E46 BMW 3 series. I never had to rev to 7.5k just to merge into traffic or pass someone when I drove a TSX or with my 4 cylinder cars that had less hp then the TSX.
2.The TSX has a crisp ride but I would not call it punishing or stiff unless your used to very floaty cars.
3.The 05 TSX is known for its handling and being driver focused, much more then most Lexus or Volvo models. All car reviews said it was a sporty good handling driver focused car.
4. The interior may be similar but it is still not the same, both cars had nice interiors, sharing of some bits and pieces is what happens when your luxury brand is part of a larger company
5 and 6. The manual 05 TSX was a 7 sec or low 7 sec 0-60 car that has more of its power higher in the redline then most cars, the current TSX 4 cylinder manual can do 0-60 in 6.7 sec which is pretty good for a NA 4 cylinder, it is quicker then the IS250 manual. I can see if your used to turbo engines, v6 or v8s you may not like that kind of power band but many do.
7. Who cares if some people called your Acura a Honda, some people also call Lexus Toyotas, Infiniti's Nissans, Audi's and Porches VWs. I car about the merits of the car not what other people think or call it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Why you hate on Volvo."
I don't hate Volvo, they are decent but pricey cars, just not really a fan of them and have had some bad experiences with them reliability wise.

"I got warranty for reliability. The UGLY TL can't be fixed It needs a new design from scratch."
I will not buy a car I am most likely going to have a bunch of issues with even if it is under warranty and I want something I am not scared to keep out of warranty. I don't find the new TL ugly, it is mainly in the big beak where the looks issue lies and that can be remedied by painting it or a aftermarket grill. Other then the grill it is pretty edgy looking car from most angles, I will take edgy over very bland like the G37 and new M37.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Volvo has a more prestigious look then any Acura 2009 and up."
I don't find the look of Volvo's prestigious, they more or less just look safe and bland. The sportier models look less bland but I would not say they are great lookers, I would not trust a high performance Volvo powerplant either. Previous high performance Volvo's are known to be extremely trouble prone.

Last edited by UDel; 03-11-11 at 03:42 PM.
Old 03-11-11, 05:57 PM
GSteg
Rookie

As far as the TL and Accord, the only similar resemblance is the swooping curve on the dash. Everything else from the gauge cluster, shifter, arm rest, etc looks different. I honestly don't see any similarities between the two.

Quick Reply: First Drive: 2012 Acura TL