Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti stuggles in Europe, names new Marketing Expert

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-11, 06:31 AM
LexFather

Post Infiniti stuggles in Europe, names new Marketing Expert

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...110219880/1399

Nissan marketing expert to run Infiniti's European sales

James R. Crate
Automotive News Europe -- February 18, 2011 06:01 CET

>> Send us a Letter to the Editor

Guillaume Pelletreau joined Nissan in 2005 and became chief marketing manager for passenger cars in 2010.

Nissan has brought in Guillaume Pelletreau to run European sales for its Infiniti luxury division.

Pelletreau will head Infiniti's sales activities at a critical time in the brand's European development.

As well as working on expanding the network of 41 dealers across Europe, he will need to oversee sales development for a widening range of cars.
Infiniti has added the new M sedan to its European lineup alongside the existing G-range of sedan, coupe and convertible models, the crossover EX and flagship FX SUV models, and the M35 and M37. This spring, an M35h hybrid will join the range.

"It is the most exciting time possible to be spearheading Infiniti sales in Europe," Pelletreau said in a statement. "Times are still tough and there is a great deal more to be achieved, but now the Infiniti range in Europe is stronger than ever."
Pelletreau succeeds Philippe Saillard, who has been transferred to Nissan's sales organization for central and eastern Europe in Budapest.

The 40-year-old Pelletreau, a graduate of France's EMLYON Business School, worked for eight years as a consultant at Roland Berger in Paris before joining Nissan in 2005 as sales and marketing strategy manager.
The following year, he was appointed marketing director of Nissan West Europe and held the post until 2010, when he became chief marketing manager for passenger cars at Nissan Europe.

Infiniti has been struggling to gain a foothold in Europe. It sold 2,519 vehicles in Europe last year, up 91 percent from 1,319 in 2009, according to UK-based market researcher JATO Dynamics.

Meanwhile, Infiniti sold 4,674 cars and SUVs in Russia last year, up 1 percent from 4,630, according to the Association of European Businesses in Russia.

Infiniti's five-year goal for western European sales (not including Russia) is 25,000 units.

Executive Edition

Sponsored by

Old 02-24-11, 06:55 AM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I doubt a marketing "expert" is what they needed. It's like hiring a bucket guy when your ship is leaking water.
Old 02-24-11, 10:36 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

infiniti has decent buy way too expensive lineup in Europe... cheapest car begins where most europeans have mid to high range vehicles.
Old 02-24-11, 11:10 AM
madmax2k1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Europeans look down on Japanese luxury cars; marketing is not going to solve this perception issue.
Old 02-24-11, 11:21 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree, it wont work. When i mention how i liked the G35 coupe to my friends from Europe they look at me like im crazy lol apparently Infiniti = viewed as crap in Europe. They are all about VW's tho! lol
Old 02-24-11, 04:28 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

i dont think we see infiniti as bad brand, but they have 41 dealer in complete europe... that means most countries have single dealer and they have just started.

plus pricing wise, cheapest G is considerably more expensive than 3 series (depending on country, between 30% and 50%).

EX is even worse, it is close to price of FX (very close)... I think their best seller is FX.
Old 02-24-11, 04:35 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I saw a ton of FX's in France. I think they are some sort of a fleet vehicle.
Old 02-24-11, 08:51 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remembered some people were commenting when they said Infiniti was mentally-sick when they launched in Europe without a diesel engine. Heck, part of the launch lineup was an FX50

But they did make some priorities for the Euro market (like the 7-speed auto for the G35 was launched there as well as the G37 coupe)

Right now, it looks like they're doing okay (or at least I think they are).

I saw a ton of FX's in France. I think they are some sort of a fleet vehicle.
Hmm......if so, then that's good. The diesel engine as well as the relationship with one of the top three car makers in France is starting to work for Infiniti.

Still, the challenges they face are still present. I think Lexus also faces that problem as well in that in general, Europeans will root for the home team by purchasing European brands. Any outsiders are treated as secondary.

Still I wish Infiniti the best because personally I would choose a euro-spec Infiniti G37 over a BMW 320d auto anyday

P.S.
Oh and I have faith that the M30d will sell in Euroland
Old 02-25-11, 10:24 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Same error as Lexus; no small engines and no stripped models. That's how you get your sales if numbers are your priority.

But I think they should have launched in Japan first and then went to Europe. I know they all wanna go to there because that's where the money is spent on luxury vehicles besides US and China but I think people are more traditional in premium car purchases over there because of great dominance of domestic luxury and that's a very hard thing to crack.
Old 02-25-11, 11:13 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
i dont think we see infiniti as bad brand, but they have 41 dealer in complete europe... that means most countries have single dealer and they have just started.
That's pretty significant. The issue will be how to entice more dealers to open Infiniti franchises.
Old 02-25-11, 11:52 AM
dsnowgs4
Pole Position

Asian Car + High Price + BAD Gas Mileage = FAIL in Europe.
Old 02-25-11, 01:49 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

never been in Europe & but from all the movie and take place there. 90% of the car are crappy little junk....mini cooper size, old, & ugly.

Notice the gas price in Europe are higher, main reason infiniti is not selling good is their bad MPG...........I lover my G35x except the MPG part. I would definitely buy another Infiniti, was planning to sell my G35x for an FX.
Old 02-25-11, 02:22 PM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by grabber2
never been in Europe & but from all the movie and take place there. 90% of the car are crappy little junk....mini cooper size, old, & ugly.
Which pretty much makes your comment worthless.

Infiniti are always going to struggle in Europe when there are better places to put your money. Models from BMW, Mercedes and Audi are going to hold their values better, and with much lower CO2 outputs, going to cost much less to run and cost less in tax.
Old 02-25-11, 02:37 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Andy
Which pretty much makes your comment worthless.

Infiniti are always going to struggle in Europe when there are better places to put your money. Models from BMW, Mercedes and Audi are going to hold their values better, and with much lower CO2 outputs, going to cost much less to run and cost less in tax.
Ok, so how much does your comment worth??
Old 02-25-11, 02:42 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

how many "experts" have they hired in the last few years ?

Quick Reply: Infiniti stuggles in Europe, names new Marketing Expert