Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

my friend wrecked his nissan gtr up

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-11, 10:42 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
Well i guess if you can afford to buy the car, afford the gas, and the insurance, you probably don't sweat about maintenance cost too much lol
Yes, except maintenance for the GT-R is quite high as a percentage of it's MSRP .

A 911 Turbo has roughly similar maintenance costs to a GT-R, yet costs much more.
Old 02-17-11, 05:58 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Your friend must of really been moving, lucky he did not do more damage
Old 02-17-11, 10:33 AM
Turbinator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Of course, it depends on a variety of factors (Age, record, deductible choice, coverage, area of living, etc)

When my 23 year old friend was thinking of getting one insurance quoted him $4700 a year for full coverage 0_0

But one of my relatives (~40) was interested in getting one and his insurance is only quoting it at $1600 a year full coverage - not bad at all for a car that is crazy expensive to mod/repair. Im sure it helped that he was 40, no accidents or tickets, and has 3 other cars and a home and boat insured lol
Thank you for the estimates. As a comparison, I pay about ~$300 a year to cover a Honda Accord daily driver, so a jump to $1600 or $4700 would be extreme for me (personally). However, for what the car is, I can see why the insurance is that much.

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Even at $4700 a year, insurance should be the least of anyone's worries if they are planning to get an R35 GT-R. Cost of maintenance is the biggest thing to worry about on that car.
It's still a Nissan - would it need anything special in maintenance? Granted, it's high performance, but .. ?

Well i guess if you can afford to buy the car, afford the gas, and the insurance, you probably don't sweat about maintenance cost too much lol
Maybe. I've shopped for cars just for fun, and while I can afford the outright purchase price of a car, I usually don't think about insurance and maintenance, two factors that would probably price a lot of cars out of my personal reach if I took the time to consider those factors. But the outright purchase price of a car? No problem, I am guessing most of us wouldn't have a problem buying something expensive. Keeping it, ok, that's another story...

Turby
Old 02-17-11, 10:38 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MiiK350
Isn't this one of the best handling cars on the road? Just saying.
Hmm........I was thinking that even with all the safety equipment in the world (4WD/AWD, ABS, TRC, VSC, VDC, ETC.), sometimes the laws of physics will always come into play
Old 02-17-11, 10:49 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Of course, it depends on a variety of factors (Age, record, deductible choice, coverage, area of living, etc)

When my 23 year old friend was thinking of getting one insurance quoted him $4700 a year for full coverage 0_0

But one of my relatives (~40) was interested in getting one and his insurance is only quoting it at $1600 a year full coverage - not bad at all for a car that is crazy expensive to mod/repair. Im sure it helped that he was 40, no accidents or tickets, and has 3 other cars and a home and boat insured lol
The term "full coverage" doesn't mean anything. It implies your liability limits meet state requirements, but this is a state-by-state basis.
Old 02-17-11, 11:00 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Infra
The term "full coverage" doesn't mean anything. It implies your liability limits meet state requirements, but this is a state-by-state basis.

Yes it does.

"Liability" = Meets state minimum requirements. Usually every state mandates that your insurance covers bodily injury and property damage to anyone you hit. Usually measured in 3 numbers (like 30,000/60,000/100,000) First number means coverage per injury, second means maximum coverage for all injuries in one accident, and last means property damage (other persons car, home, etc whatever you hit). No coverage for your car in terms of damage.

"Full coverage" = Liability + comprehensive + collision. You get the liability coverage (at atleast the state mandated minimum) plus coverage for your car in the event of a collision, and in the event of fire/theft/vandalism..etc.

No state that i know of mandates you have comprehensive + collision, they only mandate that you have liability insurance and at a state-mandated level. So full coverage is actually at least the min. state mandated coverage + collision + comprehensive.
Old 02-17-11, 12:27 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Unless he's car poor and doesn't have the matching $1million house and mutiple whips, lol.
Old 02-17-11, 12:32 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Hmm........I was thinking that even with all the safety equipment in the world (4WD/AWD, ABS, TRC, VSC, VDC, ETC.), sometimes the laws of physics will always come into play

The laws of Stupidity overrides ALL......
Old 02-17-11, 02:51 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

If he was street racing, it was his fault. If he wasn't, the damage looks pretty severe.
Old 02-17-11, 03:12 PM
600rr05
Lexus Champion

dang that sucks glad your friend is okay....have a feeling the insurance is gonna takes its time on this one.
Old 02-17-11, 03:46 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Accident happens regardless of what car it is.
Old 02-17-11, 04:34 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Insurance is not going to react positively to this, especially since the GT-R is one of the most expensive cars to insure...
This could be a "one and done" regardless of his record of claims...
Old 02-17-11, 04:56 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Turbinator

It's still a Nissan - would it need anything special in maintenance? Granted, it's high performance, but .. ?
Yes it's still a Nissan, and a very expensive one at that to maintain. You can call a few dealers and check the prices for a brake job or oil change on an R35 GT-R .
Old 02-17-11, 07:03 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Thought the GT-R was impossible to crash.....

Old 02-17-11, 08:53 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

that'll buff right out

Quick Reply: my friend wrecked his nissan gtr up