Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti Etherea Concept

Old 02-14-11, 12:18 PM
dsnowgs4
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by speedflex
As expected this Infiniti doesn't go over well here. But considering that the production car will likely go head to head with the Lexus CT I think it has definite appeal for those with less conventional taste.

[/CENTER]

[/CENTER]

By rnelson at 2011-02-14
Interesting...

I never noticed the size and proportion similarities... Actually somewhat close with the rear door/C pillar area.

I am sure the production car may lose some of its funky lines and the crazy rear window.

But by comparison the Lexus CT has been cleaned up to help it stay a more mainstream design.
Old 02-14-11, 12:21 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dsnowgs4
Interesting...

I never noticed the size and proportion similarities... Actually somewhat close with the rear door/C pillar area.

I am sure the production car may lose some of its funky lines and the crazy rear window.

But by comparison the Lexus CT has been cleaned up to help it stay a more mainstream design.
I think they will be competitors. The Infiniti concept is a hybrid too.
Old 02-14-11, 12:35 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by speedflex
As expected this Infiniti doesn't go over well here. But considering that the production car will likely go head to head with the Lexus CT I think it has definite appeal for those with less conventional taste.
Actually no one seems to like it much looking at other sites (including Nissan) and auto news comments. I guess ugly is "less conventional"

This will be a Benz engine, Renault platform, Infiniti designed car. No thanks. I want my Japanese luxury cars to be Japanese.

To be fair compare concept to concept, not concept to production

INFINITI NAMES ITS GENEVA CONCEPT

ROLLE, Switzerland (February 14, 2011) – Infiniti today releases the first images of its concept car for the Geneva Motor Show in March. Called ETHEREA, it is a compact luxury model that previews how a future entry-level Infiniti could look.

The pictures show an evolving Infiniti identity along with a profile distinctly different from anything currently available in the premium compact class.

"ETHEREA is about a new type of luxury for younger buyers," said Toru Saito, Corporate Vice President and Leader of the Global Infiniti Business Unit. "It is not just a smaller version of a typically conservative and traditional luxury car."

Designed under the direction of Senior Vice President of Design Shiro Nakamura, ETHEREA blends elements of coupé, sedan, hatchback and even crossover in one highly sculptural, near-mono volume form.

At 4.4m it is highly compact but at the same time it is space efficient and practical thanks to a new mechanical layout and innovative access arrangements.

Among its surprises are high-tech new interpretations of traditional Japanese materials and finishes, and several design cues set to make their mark on future production models – including the highly distinctive crescent-shaped C-pillar first seen on the Essence concept.

The ETHEREA makes its world debut on the Infiniti stand (Hall 1, Booth 1030) at 12:15 CET on Tuesday 1 March 2011.
So whereas the CT was designed as being only a hatch, this is supposed to be a blend of coupe, sedan, hatch, SUV. That worked real well with the EX....

Last edited by LexFather; 02-14-11 at 03:38 PM.

Old 02-14-11, 12:43 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Actually no one seems to like it much looking at other sites (including Nissan) and auto news comments. I guess ugly is "less conventional"

This will be a Benz engine, Renault platform, Infiniti designed car. No thanks. I want my Japanese luxury cars to be Japanese.

So whereas the CT was designed as being only a hatch, this is supposed to be a blend of coupe, sedan, hatch, SUV. That worked real well with the EX....
I'm not making value judgments either way. Just that it's a different take on a similar product and that in itself is noteworthy. I rarely use the term ugly in a conclusive way since it's totally subjective (I happen to find Julia Roberts to be ugly but that's not correct if the fashion mainstream is to be taken seriously).

Last edited by LexFather; 02-14-11 at 03:37 PM.
Old 02-14-11, 02:15 PM
dsnowgs4
Pole Position

Maybe its my computer but the CT pics are not showing up....

And you are right about the EX but what I am amazed with is that they are NOT discounting the EX here in town..

When I got my car they had a few at the dealer and wanted the same price as the G35/37s were going for. Its amazing. The car is smaller gets worse mileage and is the same price.

Even the GS450h has been discounted around here where they are in the low 30's with min miles. VS the GS350 awds being in the mid to high 30's
Old 02-14-11, 02:17 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Hahaha, I literally laughed upon my first glimpse of the pics. There is a terrible trend going on in the automotive industry to make cars look like cartoon characters.

This looks like a Mazda, combined with a BMW, combined with Nissan's new ugly styling themes. Overall looks like a disaster.
Old 02-14-11, 02:34 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I thought the front end looked like Stewie.

I think we're not ready to accept a car with this kind of styling yet.

Seeing the evolution of automotive design, we may be ready to accept this in 10 years. But not now.

baby steps.
Old 02-14-11, 02:41 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dunnojack
I thought the front end looked like Stewie.

I think we're not ready to accept a car with this kind of styling yet.

Seeing the evolution of automotive design, we may be ready to accept this in 10 years. But not now.

baby steps.

Fair enough. I can see that.
Old 02-14-11, 03:28 PM
GS3Tek

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by lex-phil
Infiniti designers must be playing too much Angry Birds...
yeah, I saw a white angry bird too

however, the stupid name sounds like something will be happening after you eat at a taco bell
Old 02-14-11, 03:28 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Actually quite strong resemblance to the M, you can tell right away they're related ...
yeah, ugly sisters.

This will be a Benz engine, Renault platform, Infiniti designed car.
what could possibly go wrong?
Old 02-14-11, 03:38 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by dsnowgs4
Maybe its my computer but the CT pics are not showing up....

And you are right about the EX but what I am amazed with is that they are NOT discounting the EX here in town..

When I got my car they had a few at the dealer and wanted the same price as the G35/37s were going for. Its amazing. The car is smaller gets worse mileage and is the same price.

Even the GS450h has been discounted around here where they are in the low 30's with min miles. VS the GS350 awds being in the mid to high 30's
Not sure what any of this has to do with the Infiniti Uretha?

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
yeah, ugly sisters.

what could possibly go wrong?
Nothing!

Old 02-14-11, 04:14 PM
dsnowgs4
Pole Position

I can totally see the stewie likeness... The headlights along with the grill give it an almost Evil scowl... The car looks like it should be a character in the movie Cars....lol

Not sure what any of this has to do with the Infiniti Uretha?
It is appears that you run into various misunderstandings with my posts.

No one else seems confused with what I say... But I will try to be more clear in the future.
Old 02-14-11, 04:20 PM
metalgear
Lexus Champion

That thing is hideous!
Old 02-14-11, 05:44 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
however, the stupid name sounds like something will be happening after you eat at a taco bell

I get watery etherea sometimes.
Old 02-14-11, 07:24 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks like it has owl eyes!! (and tail lights). I can see the funky relation of this to the Juke. They're definitely giving Acura a run for the money in the styling department.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Infiniti Etherea Concept