Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Review: 2011 Hyundai Equus

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-11, 06:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default MM Review: 2011 Hyundai Equus

By CL request, a Review of the all-new 2011 Hyundai Equus.

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/equus/experience/

IN A NUTSHELL: One of South Korea's premier vehicles; almost a Lexus LS460 for 10-15K less money, but why only four paint colors?

I've been waiting a long time to review and test-drive Hyundai's new flagship Equus.....and, of course, I've had a number of CL-member requests for it also. This car has been rumored, planned, un-planned, and then re-planned and changed, over and over again. Hyundai first displayed a past-generation model at the D.C. Auto Show 7 or 8 years ago, then cancelled its plans to bring it stateside. Later, it was planned again...and postponed. Apparantly, Hyundai wanted to see how the Genesis sedan did here before launchung an even larger, more expensive car like the Equus. So, finally, the Equus is here....and, to some extent, it was worth the wait (my recent surgery, of course, set me back even further). Since Hyundai is aiming and marketing this car straight at the Lexus LS460,(and makes no bones about it), I reviewed the Equus primarily with the intention, myself, of comparing it to the LS460.....so, of course, I also have a lot of LS460 references in my write-up. The LS460 is one of the world's premier luxury cars, well-known for its smooth refined character, superb fit/finish, silky drivetrain, easy-relaxed driving manners, tomb-like silence, and tank-like reliability, so the Equus will obviously have its work cut out for it trying to compete. And DOES it compete? IMO, Yes.....and No. I'll get into that, of course, in more detail later, though only time will tell how reliable the Equus will turn out to be. But it does have, of course, the superb Hyundai 10/100 Drivetrain and 5/60 Bumper-to-Bumper Warranties....and, in addition, unlike any other U.S.-market Hyundai, a 5-year Free-Maintenance Plan....that, of course, will be a help for it vs. the BMW 7-series and BMW's Free-Maintenance plan.

Hyundai has had a long and tumultuous record, since the mid-1980s, in the American market. They started out with the Excel, a rather poorly-built, unreliable compact car that was, in fact, a rebadged version of the Mitsubishi Precis. I won't go into the whole history here...many of you know already know it, and I've covered it extensively in other threads and posts. The company (and its corporate-sister Kia) was known, for years, for building and selling junk. But along about 2000 or so (actually about 1997 for the Tiburon), things began to change, and Hyundai and Kia became more and more respected in the automotive world. Today, of course, Hyundai markets several upmarket, sophisticated models, including the Azera, Genesis sedan, and now the Equus. And the Sonata is following more and more in the footsteps of the Toyota Camry and Honda Accord as a sizable contender in the mid-sized family-sedan market.

For 2011, the Equus, in the American market, is offered in two basic versions.....the Signature and Ultimate. Signature models start at $58,000, and Ultimate models at $64,500. Both share the same 4.6L Tau 32-valve V8, with 385 HP and 333 Ft-lbs. of torque, and a silky-smooth 6-speed auto-manual transmission. A formal Limosine model is offered in some markets, but it is unclear if it will be offered here in America....Hyundai does not include it in the Equus brochure. And, unlike the LS460, Hyundai does not (as yet) offer an AWD version.......more and more luxury/upmarket car buyers are expecting AWD as an option, particularly in bad-weather areas.

I saw a couple of Equus displays at the Washington, D.C. Auto Show last week.....Hyundai (wisely) had them out on the floor, unlocked.....and popular wasn't the word for them. As I put down in my report on the show, the Equus and Chevy Volt seemed to draw more interested onlookers than just about any other vehicles there. In fact, one of the show-display Equus models ended up at the Hyundai dealership I was at today (and was the one I test-drove).......more on that in a second. But, in general, Equus models are not, as of this writing, readily in stock at local D.C.-area dealerships. And part of that is Hyundai's marketing strategy for the Equus. Unlike the LS460, which, of course, is sold at all Lexus dealeships, Hyundai only outlets the Equus at some of its dealerships, which means that some of its shops won't get to carry it at all. Fortunately, a Hyundai shop not too far from my house had two of them in stock today, and I decided to go ahead and look at them and do a test-drive while I could...so it was into my Outback and on my way. They were somewhat restrictive with them, though, which, under the circumstances, was perhaps not surprising....I'll get into that in a second. Hyundai also has a marketing campaign for the Equus which, if desired, a Hyundai rep will bring the car to your house for a test-drive, but I didn't want to go that route. For one thing, I wanted to look at both of the Equus models (again) together at the dealership.

For the review, I looked over both models the dealer had in stock....a Black Signature and a Platinum-Metallic Ultimate. Since the Ultimate model was already outside and ready to go (the Signature was in the showroom), I picked the Ultimate for the test-drive. This particular one I drove (the Ultimate) was the Equus that the dealership had just picked up from the Auto Show (as I stated, it was quite popular there). They didn't let me put quite as many miles on it, over different road surfaces, as I would have normally liked for a full-review, but I did get to drive it long enough to give it a reasonable write-up....and a general comparison to the LS460. Details coming up.

MODEL REVIEWED: 2011 Hyundai Equus Signature, Ultimate

BASE PRICE: $58,000, $64,500

OPTIONS: None

DESTINATION/FREIGHT: $900 (slightly more than average)

LIST PRICE AS REVIEWED: $58,900, $65,400

DRIVETRAIN: RWD, Longitudionally-mounted 4.6L DOHC Tau V8, 385 HP @ 6500 RPM, Torque 333 Ft-lbs. @ 3500 RPM,
6-speed automatic transmission with manual Sport-Shift.

EPA MILEAGE RATING: 16 City / 24 Highway

EXRERIOR COLOR: Black Noir Pearl, Platinum Metallic

INTERIOR: Jet Black Leather, Saddle-Brown Leather

PLUSSES (+):

FINALLY.....the car is here in America to start with.

Close to the LS460 in execution and performance, at a somewhat lower price.

Tomb-quiet idle.

Quiet, but not tomb-quiet ride.

Silky-smooth 6-speed automatic transmission.

Relatively good handling/steering response for a luxury car of this type.

Relatively handsome (IMO) exterior styling.

Excellent-to-superb exterior paint job.

Superb interior trim and fit/finish.

Subaru-style windshield wiper de-icer.

Roomy interior for tall persons.

Killer stereo sound...but not quite the Lexus LS460 Mark Levinson unit.

Clear, easy-to-read, backlit gauges.

Choice of three different seat-leather colors.

Nice seat-leather quality.

Good-to-excellent interior hardware.

Smoothed/Polished-to-Perfection (and heated) wood steering wheel.

Power-adjustable rear seats (in fact, power-adjustable almost everything).

Rear-seat pull-down cooler-compartment for drinks.

Relatively roomy, roomy, richly carpeted cargo area.

Superb Hyundai 10/100 and 5/60 warranties.

5-year Free-Maintenance Plan, in addition to the superb Hyundai warranty.

Can run on either regular or premium gas.

Yes...a REAL oil dipstick.

MINUSES (-):

Engine torque good, but falls short of HP rating.

Poorly-located brake pedal (for my big shoe).

Slightly spongy brakes.

Quiet ride, but does not quite equal the tomb-like LS460.

Only four exterior paint-color choices (absurd for a car of this caliber).

No exterior body-side mouldings for parking-lot protection.

Relatively poor underhood layout.

Relatively complex electronic stereo/climate buttons.

Wide D-pillars and small rear-quarter windows impair rear vision slightly.

No hood ornament for American-market models.

Temporary spare tire.....but includes an (unfinished) alloy wheel.

No AWD or limo options (American market) as of yet.

Only sold/serviced at certain Hyundai dealerships.

Not readily in stock (as I write this).

EXTERIOR:

As you first walk up to it, there are some styling similarities betwen the Equus and its somewhat smaller Genesis-sedan brother (particularly in the front end), but, in general, the Equus pretty much has its own looks. And those looks, IMO, are rather handsome, both front and rear. The overall styling theme is more conservative than radical (which is the way I usually like it)......remember, this car is aimed at more or less the same group of buyers who shop for the rather conservatively-styled LS460. The bodywork and fit/finish is first-rate, and most of the exterior sheet metal and fittings feel solid, though the hood has a rather light feel to it. The paint job is also first-rate, particularly in black, almost as Jewel-like as a typical Lexus product. But, for the love of Pete, WHY only four exterior colors...especially on a top-level car like this? It just doesn't make sense.....Black, White Pearl, Granite-Gray, and a lighter Platinum-Gray. Some entry-level econoboxes offer almost twice as many....and, of course, brigher shades as well. I've said this before, and I'll say it again.........I've never understood auto marketers, and never will.

All of the exterior chrome and trim is smooth and well-fitted, though the exterior mirror-housings don't snap/swivel/lock smoothly because they are power-folding flush with the body. There are no body-side mouldings to protect from parking-lot dings (this, mind you, on a $60,000 car). There are, oddly, no Hyundai logo-badges anywhere on the car (that I could see)....once again, I can't understand the marketers, in that Hyundai has nothing to be ashamed of by putting their "H" logo on the car....the company is now a respected nameplate. Instead, a nice chrome "V" shaped Flying-Lady type badge is used. A chrome Rolls-Royce-style stand-up hood ornament is used in other markets......you can thank the Feds and the new Pedestrian-Impact regulations for the fact that we don't get that nice little touch here. Rolls-Royce gets around that by mounting their Flying-Lady ornament to a power-linkage which, at the touch of a button drops the ornament down into the grille, under a folding door, which also prevents teen-agers from stealing it. But, needless to say, an Equus doesn't cost $300,000 like a Rolls.

UNDERHOOD:

Like most luxury/upmarket vehicles these days, the underhood layout is not the best. Open the reasonably strong but light-feeling hood, which is held up by nice gas struts and has a thick insulation pad, and the layout underneath is so-so at best. The insulation pad, BTW, does its job.....more on that below. The big 4.6L Tau V8, mounted longitudinally for RWD, fits in reasonably well, and there is at least some room under the big plastic engine cover (which blocks just about everything else) to reach the coil-on-plugs down the side of the block, but that's just about it. The other components are pretty much all hidden (including the reservoirs) under plastic panels and covers. The oil filler-cap, though, is accessable, and (Wonder-of Wonders).....unlike most other luxury cars these days, there is a REAL oil dipstick. I'm a big fan of checking your oil the old-fashioned way.....automakers have had to replace a number of expensive engines, under warranty, because the oil-monitor sensors screwed up and let the oil go too long. The battery is back in the trunk, under the trunk floor panels, next to the temporary spare, but is reasonably accessable once you get the panels out of the way. Of course, to be honest and fair, few people who buy a car in this price/type-class are likely to work under own hood to start with.....especially with the free maintenance program this car offers. But, no matter how expensive or cheap a car is, I'm still a firm believer in periodically checking the fluids.

INTERIOR:

IMO, this is an IMPRESSIVE interior....in some ways, better than that of the LS460. Hyundai did the wood trim JUST the way I like it...big, wide panels across the whole dash, upper-door panels, and seat-consoles (makes you think, at first, you are in a Bentley or Rolls). The wood trim (and the brushed-chrome/metallic trim) are both high-quality, superbly-finished, and well-applied. The ceiling headliner and sun-visors have nice soft-touch/feel Alcantra suede fabric. There are two wood trims available (Walnut and Birch) and three leather colors (Black, Saddle-Brown, Cashmere Beige) available. The seats are comfortable both front and rear, though somewhat lacking in support (but remember, this isn't a high-G-cornering sports car), and the grade/feel of leather seems worthy of the price. All seat functions, front AND rear (including the headrests) are power-adjustable....that's right, even the rear seats are multi-power-adjustable. The rear seats also have numerous other features built into them.....multi-cubby-compartments, cupholders, pull-down arm-rests, even a back-seat console cooled-compartment for cold drinks. Legroom/footroom is good for tall persons both front and rear, as is headroom, even under the sunroof housing. The white-backlit, Lexus-style electro-luminescent gauges were clear and easy to read, and the ultra-polished, butter-smooth wood-and-leather steering wheel was virtual perfecton. Most of the controls/buttons/***** (with a couple of exceptions that I'll get to in a second) were clearly marked and intuitive to use. The hardware was not all the most solid I've seen, but seemed all of good quality, reasonably durable, and solidly-attached/mounted. The 17-speaker stereo was a borderline killer-grade, but the sound wasn't quite as insanely superb as the LS460's Mark Levinson unit.....as far as I'm concerned, the LS460 Mark Levinson is still the King of the automotive stereos (Yeah.....give us some Funk, James Brown).

Was there ANYTHING inside that I didn't like? Yes....one thing. The ****-controller and buttons for the center-dash video-screen, stereo functions and climate-control were a little complex and unintuitive for my tastes. But systems like this just seem to be something you have to put up with in today's luxury cars. And, to be honest, it didn't seem quite as complex as Audi's annoying MMI and some of the versions of BMW's I-Drive.

CARGO AREA/TRUNK:

Definitely one of the car's better features. Because of the somewhat conservative rear-body styling, the cargo area is fairly roomy. The mildly-swept rear roofline and D-Pillars impact on the size of the trunk lid only a small amount, so it is reasonably-sized for loading larger or bulky items. There is a standard cargo net to hold in groceries and packages. There is not only thinner black carpeting on the sides/walls of the trunk, but a NICE, thick, plush sweep of black carpeting covering all of the trunk floor, with "Equus" stitching in it. On the Ultimate version, the trunk lid is power-operated. Under the floor lies a temporary spare-tire, but, unlike many other cars, the spare is mounted on an alloy wheel. The wheel, though, is not chromed like the four outside wheels. I forgot to check whether the back seat folds down to expand the cargo area (or if there are any pass-throughs), but I would doubt it, simply because of the already large number of features built into the rear seats.....I covered those in the INTERIOR remarks, above.

ON THE ROAD:

Fire up the 4.6L Tau V8 with a START/STOP button, and the well-balanced engine and thick hood insulation pad do their stuff.......it idles silky-smooth and tomb-quiet, just like the LS460. On the road, however, the powertrain does produce, on acceleration, a slight amount of exhaust-chuffle noise.....slightly more than the LS. Given the engine's 385 HP, the 333 ft-lb. torque rating lags behind a little...but there is enough power for any kind of normal driving, loaded or unloaded, that you will probably face. And, if needed, there's enough power to give you a mild shove in the back. The silky-smooth, quiet 6-speed automatic is a delight, whether in automatic or auto-manual mode. The LS460 does have an 8-speed automatic, with two more gears, but, IMO, those two extra gears are probably overkill for all but the highest speeds on the German Autobahn.....certainly for virtually all American roads.

The chassis is not sports-car responsive, but fine for this type of vehicle. Steering response was medium (not particularly slow or quick), there was some but not a lot of body roll, and the ride quality, helped by the 30 PSI recommended pressure in the tires, was reasonably smooth. But the 45-series profile on the front tires (40 on the rear ones) made the bumps a little sharper than they could have been (or should have been). Higher-profile tires, on this type of car (say, 55-60), IMO, would have been preferable. Steering feel, from the electro-hydraulic system, was not BMW-tactile, but was reasonably good. A SPORT button on the console reprograms (and stiffens) suspension/shock-damping/steering response, but I didn't notice much difference at low speeds.....you have to be moving along pretty well for it to significantly take effect. Wind noise control, as befits a flagship, was quite well-done (almost as good as the LS460), but a small amount of road/tire noise could be detected inside, even on smoother surfaces. The brakes were OK, but a little on the spongy side (not enough sponginess to complain about or list as a MINUS). But the brake pedal was poorly located (too high and close to the gas pedal) for my Bozo-the-Clown size 15 shoes.....I had to be careful every time I lifted my foot off the gas pedal that it didn't hang up under the brake pedal.

THE VERDICT:

Though the Azera and Genesis sedan preceded it, the Equus is the first vehicle that Hyundai has released in the American market that can be called a true luxury sedan. And, for the most part, it has done a superb job. The exterior fit/finish is worthy of the price, and the interior, in almost everything except the console/center-dash controls, approaches perfection. Though a little torque-limited compared to its HP rating, the engine has enough power for any kind of normal driving. The transmission is silky-smooth and quiet; the chassis engineering is reasonably good; and it rides quietly as a luxury-flagship should, though not as whisper-quiet as the LS460 it is aimed at. The warranty is aoso first-rate, and incluses the 5-year free-maintenance program.

But a few things, IMO, still need work. Four exterior paint colors, on a car of this class, is absurd.....it almost brings back the days, many decades ago, when Henry Ford said that you could have the Model T in any color you want, as long as it was black. Though the suspension is reasonably smooth, the tires are, IMO, a little rough-riding for a luxury sedan....they need a higher-profile. The brake pedal needs to be relocated some (lowered and moved to the left) so that shoes don't hang up on it. The car needs an AWD option for bad weather....luxury cars aren't going to be able to shun this option much longer, as the public, by and large, now demands it. And why only sell it at certain Hyundai outlets?........again, that doesn't make sense to me. Those who spend the money for a company's flagship, IMO, should be able to buy it, and have it serviced, in any of that company's shops.

But, all in all, credible competition, IMO, to the LS460. The LS has a slight edge (very slight) in ride quietness/noise-control, stereo-sound, transmission gears (if you don't, as I do, consider 8 speeds overkill), and, of course, a well-established record of reliability and customer-satisfaction, whereas the Equus is brand-new and untested. But the Equus's interior, IMO supersedes that of the LS, its warranty is superior, it comes with free maintenance, it costs from 10-20K less on average, and it has as many, if not more, power-goodies and equipment inside than even the LS.

So, there you have it....the Clash of the Titans. Two great luxury cars.....both of them quite impressive.

And, as always, Happy Car-Shopping.

MM

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-11-11 at 06:30 PM.
Old 02-11-11, 06:44 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

I might be too European, but take that HVAC stack and put it in Elantra and it will look right at home.... little details annoy me greatly and this car would never ever fly in europe. they need to work on details.... details are the king!
Old 02-11-11, 06:51 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good review as usual Mike. Glad to see you feeling better.
Old 02-11-11, 06:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
I might be too European, but take that HVAC stack and put it in Elantra and it will look right at home.... little details annoy me greatly and this car would never ever fly in europe. they need to work on details.... details are the king!

This car has about as "detailed" an interior as anything I've come across.....especially for something in this price range. It rivals or exceeds the interior of even some upper-level Audis. Hyundai obviously put a lot of attention into the interior detail...the fit/finish and trim-level, IMO, is near-perfection. I agree with you, though, that the center-stack controls (as is the case with many luxury/upscale cars) are a little on the complex side.
Old 02-11-11, 07:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Good review as usual Mike.
Thanks.

Glad to see you feeling better.
I've actually been feeling better for weeks....virtually normal. My sternum, though, is still not totally recovered, and I can't lift heavy things or do my normal swimming-laps. So, I'm getting my daily excercise on the treadmill instead.
Old 02-11-11, 07:28 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Nice detailed review.

The Equus looks like a decent vehicle but that center stack and shifter area looks horrible and cheap to me with the silver colored plastic and big cheap looking cost cut buttons. It looks more fitting on some kind of econo car or CUV then a high end luxury sedan. The Sonata has a better looking design. That center stack is so bad and uninspired it is sort of a dealbreaker to me since I have to stare at it all the time while in the car. I really wish they would have addressed that and gave it a more upscale design before it came to the US and I am afraid that is one of the main thing buyers will look at when getting in the car or reading a review on it.

I am kind of surprised you found the interior so nice as at least from the pics the front dash and shifter area seem very plain and cheap looking to me. The rear seating area looks pretty good though.

Reviews seem to say the ride and handling at higher speeds is downright spooky and scary which is unacceptable in a modern car, especially a luxury car. I will have to go check one out one of these days. I found the interior quality and attention to detail lacking on the Genesis sedan and the ride/handling was not really that impressive but I still think it is a decent car and nice that Hyundai has something like it in their lineup.
Old 02-11-11, 07:38 PM
LexFather

Mike here is my preview,

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...t=1sickpreview

I didn't get to drive it. I agree with the trunk and looks and a good price. I completely disagree with your interior assessment. The Equus has an interior that reminds me of a 1990s Japanese car. It is clearly behind the segment leaders today. Very surprised at your comments.

Old 02-11-11, 07:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UDel
Nice detailed review.
Thanks.

that center stack and shifter area looks horrible and cheap to me with the silver colored plastic and big cheap looking cost cut buttons. It looks more fitting on some kind of econo car or CUV then a high end luxury sedan. The Sonata has a better looking design. That center stack is so bad and uninspired it is sort of a dealbreaker to me since I have to stare at it all the time while in the car. I really wish they would have addressed that and gave it a more upscale design before it came to the US and I am afraid that is one of the main thing buyers will look at when getting in the car or reading a review on it.

I am kind of surprised you found the interior so nice as at least from the pics the front dash and shifter area seem very plain and cheap looking to me. The rear seating area looks pretty good though.
Yes, a number of the interior parts are plastic (as with most cars nowadays), but I found them well-detailed, well-assembled, and with a high level of fit/finish. This isn't the 1950s or 1960s any more, though, when metal and vinyl dominated car interiors, and you're going to find plastic inside the interior of just about any vehicle you look at nowadays.....it's just a question of how well-done the plastic is. I thought that the Equus, as befitting its flagship position, had a very impressive-looking interior despite a lot of plastic. But, as far as how well parts fit together and precision of assembly, I still consider Honda/Acura the best automaker, at the factory-level.....that doesn't change even with my high opinion of the Equus.

Reviews seem to say the ride and handling at higher speeds is downright spooky and scary which is unacceptable in a modern car, especially a luxury car. I will have to go check one out one of these days. I found the interior quality and attention to detail lacking on the Genesis sedan and the ride/handling was not really that impressive but I still think it is a decent car and nice that Hyundai has something like it in their lineup.
MY test-drive did not allow me to reach at any really high speeds (and they wanted the car's mileage kept down, a sit was a show-car), but at normal speeds, I didn't notice any problem with the suspension or handling.

Like you, I wasn't impressed with the Genesis sedan's ride either, when I reviewed it, but I found the the rest of the car was fairly impressive, including the interior. The browish leather-covered dashboard on some Genesis sedans was especially nice-looking.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-11-11 at 07:55 PM.
Old 02-11-11, 07:55 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Mike here is my preview,

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...t=1sickpreview

I didn't get to drive it. I agree with the trunk and looks and a good price. I completely disagree with your interior assessment. The Equus has an interior that reminds me of a 1990s Japanese car. It is clearly behind the segment leaders today. Very surprised at your comments.
I recently watched the Motorweek review of the Equus and they weren't too impressed with the interior materials, gauges etc. They said certain "cost containment" was evident.
Old 02-11-11, 08:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I didn't see that post at the time......I was away from the computer, recovering from surgery. But I read it....thanks for posting it.

I didn't get to drive it.
It drives more or less like an LS460, though not with quite the same tomb-quietness in the ride....still a nice luxury car.

I agree with the trunk and looks and a good price. I completely disagree with your interior assessment. The Equus has an interior that reminds me of a 1990s Japanese car. It is clearly behind the segment leaders today. Very surprised at your comments.
That just shows that we sometimes see eye-to-eye, and other times not (as with some features on the Acura RL). But part of it, I think, is the fact that I just tend to be more conservative than some other car guys. So, to me, what looks nice inside, and to my tastes, may seem dated and out of place to someone else. And the Equus DOES have a conservative look inside to it.....hence your comments about the "early-1990's" look. I don't find any problem with that, though.....I happen to like that look myself, but I respect your opinion.

Another worry is how will this car hold up over time? How will it hold up in 10-15 years? Will resale plummet? Will the electronics work? Will the engine still be smooth? Hyundai's new wave of cars is simply not tested long term. I know what a LS/7/S etc will be like in a decade. I have no idea how well built this is after the "honeymoon" is over. That is something I think they will have trouble overcoming.
Totally agree here.....the Equus is new and untested. I made that clear in my review.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-11-11 at 08:13 PM.
Old 02-11-11, 08:05 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i learned something new.

i didn't know that the Excel was a rebadged mitsu.

so Mitsu single handedly brought down hyundai's reputation before it even got off the ground.

the excel was notorious for having its axle fall off and other stuff
Old 02-11-11, 08:08 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I recently watched the Motorweek review of the Equus and they weren't too impressed with the interior materials, gauges etc. They said certain "cost containment" was evident.
that clear black plastic with big clear plastic buttons looks like 90's chrysler.

of course you need plastic, but do something with it.
Old 02-11-11, 08:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dunnojack
i learned something new.

i didn't know that the Excel was a rebadged mitsu.
Yep....sure was. And, even when it started doing its own designs, Hyundai still used Mitsu engines for while.

the excel was notorious for having its axle fall off and other stuff
I test-drove one in 1987, when it had only been in the American market a year or two, and I thought that, along with the Pontiac Fiero, the Excel (up to then) was one one of the two worst new cars I ever test-drove. When I turned on the A/C, for example, it would barely move. The Fiero, in some ways, was even worse.....a true basket case.
Old 02-11-11, 08:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
that clear black plastic with big clear plastic buttons looks like 90's chrysler.

of course you need plastic, but do something with it.

Yes, I said, in the review, that the center-stack controls were the one thing I didn't like inside...but more for the reason of complexity than plastic-flimsiness.
Old 02-11-11, 08:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2

See my reply to spwolf, just above.

I found most of the interior parts to be as well-done or better than other luxury cars in its class......and that jewel-like polished wood and leather steering wheel was something to die for.

I have a high opinion of Motorweek, BTW.....I know John Davis, the show's host, but only casually....not as a close friend. I see him at local auto shows and we chat. I've never actually met Pat Goss, but have chatted with him by E-mail a number of times.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-11-11 at 08:26 PM.

Quick Reply: MM Review: 2011 Hyundai Equus