Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Report: The 2011 Washington, D.C. Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-11, 09:23 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I...Believe it or not, the current-generation Chevy Malibu makes me feel that way. Its superb interior, styling, and fit/finish is so far ahead of older, rental-grade Malibus that even comparing it to light-years is understating it. It is also better-looking, inside and out, than its arch-rival Ford Fusion, ..... The Malibu's only other significant problem, IMO, is tinny-closing rear doors, but that is a minor issue.
THAT'S the passion I'm talking about!!! I love the front of the Mailbu, and agree on improvement

I feel the same about the new Genesis... I am STUNNED by what I am seeing in pics, can only get better in person
Old 02-09-11, 06:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by rdgdawg

I feel the same about the new Genesis... I am STUNNED by what I am seeing in pics, can only get better in person
The Genesis coupe or sedan? (or both?) The coupe can't match the sedan's interior and fit/finish, but its road manners, especially the 3.8 Track model, are superb.....arguably the closest thing I've seen to a good BMW this side to having a blue-and-white propeller on the hood. I was stunned by the 3.8 Track's chassis, steering/handling, road feel, and the instant-response of the paddle-shift transmission.
Old 02-09-11, 08:00 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

Hello, I was able to attend he d.c. show and here are some of my thoughts...

First one big disappointment to me is the lack of brochures from the car makes, now in the past when you went to a auto show, you got paper brochures from everybody, but now everything is e brochures, there are no paper ones at all, everything is electronic, I hate that and it is a shame, because i keep alot of the brochures, I have Lexus ones dating every year since 2000 and they are real keepsakes.

On the show itself, mostly everything was open that I wanted to see, except for the Nissan GT-R, would love to sit in one to see what the hype is all about.

By far to me the best car of the show is the Cadillac CTS-V, they had all three versions there, the coupe, sedan and wagon. I also liked that they had one with the recaro seats and alcanta steering wheel, and one with he normal leather, so you can see the differences for yourself. The wagon also had real space, you can fold the seats etc, it looks killer, and has the 550hp supercharged V8. I wanted more then any car at the show, even more then the Corvette ZR1 that was nearby.

As for Lexus, of course I like the IS-F, but have to get used to it's new gauge layout, a big surprise to me was the LS460 sport, I like the fact of having the paddles on a LS!

I also was impressed with the Infiniti G37 coupe, at first when it came out it's looks did not impress me, but the ipl edition they had looked great, maybe there were some subtle changes?

The Honda CR-z,surprised me, I actually like it, it has a nice interior layout, and nice hatch, but it is just a strict two seater, so to me can't be a only car daily driver, really shocked it is not a 2+2. On a semi related note, Honda had a drive efficient game, which was interesting and unlike any video game I have played.

Last thing, I don't like the direction most of the cars are heading, just to much tech, do dads, making things complicated that should not be etc... I am big on egronomics of a car, everything should just feel right, you don't have to think about where it is, etc.. Lexus excels at this, while some other car makers do not have a clue.

That's it for now, I might share some more thoughts and pictures later....
Old 02-09-11, 08:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks for the input, 2002GGPIS3. I agree about the lack of formal paper brochures....a good point. But it's been that way for some years now....the automakers don't give out separate brochures at the show for each vehicle; usually just a Jack-of-all-Trades booklet that has only a page or two of a brief description of each vehicle in the manufacturer's line-up.

I also agree about the CTS Sport Wagon's killer looks. Since you saw the Honda CR-Z there (and liked it), did you notice the racing version on display with the big wing in back...painted white, with all the logos and figures on it?

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-09-11 at 08:35 PM.
Old 02-10-11, 04:37 PM
mondo540
Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Genesis coupe or sedan? (or both?) The coupe can't match the sedan's interior and fit/finish, but its road manners, especially the 3.8 Track model, are superb.....arguably the closest thing I've seen to a good BMW this side to having a blue-and-white propeller on the hood. I was stunned by the 3.8 Track's chassis, steering/handling, road feel, and the instant-response of the paddle-shift transmission.
The 2012 R-Spec ...that one is making a lot of us go "wow"...
Old 02-10-11, 05:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mondo540
The 2012 R-Spec ...that one is making a lot of us go "wow"...
An interesting concept.....but I'm not sure just how much of a market there will be for it.

Here's some interesting info on the R-Spec from Car and Driver. The R-Spec will get essentially the same fairly stiff-riding suspension as the previous Genesis 4.6L. The regular 4.6L, because of an overly-stiff ride in the initial version, gets a recalibrated suspension thos year to smooth things out (I myself didn't care for its ride-comfort when I first reviewed a Genesis sedan). The R-spec also gets an 8-speed automatic.....overkill, IMO (though I know that not everyone agrees wth that).

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car...nfo-auto_shows

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-10-11 at 06:04 PM.