Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is it illegal to park on your own lawn?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-11, 02:10 PM
svntwosix
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Pave over the lawn, problem solved
Most of SF has cement lawns so you will always see cars parked in front of their house.
Old 02-08-11, 02:51 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by edgeucated
it is only illegal if your landlord says it is. In your contract, sometimes they require to keep the lawn nice; and having a car would essentially make this impossible, therefore making it illegal to park on your lawn.
Not necessarily true. Municipalities have the ability to set their own standards as to what is and isn't acceptable on properties within their jurisdiction. Becomes even worse in architecturally controlled neighbourhoods that are controlled by a HOA or condo boards.
Old 02-08-11, 04:24 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

San Jose (largest city in Silicon Valley with a population of over 1 million people) has this ordinance in place:

17.72.600 Parking on Unpaved Surfaces Prohibited

A. No person shall keep, store or park any trailer, Boat or Motor Vehicle on any portion of a front yard or corner lot side yard facing a street of a property designed or used as a residence, except on an area that is paved.
Old 02-08-11, 05:13 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by felixsc300
The people on our street didn't complain, they admitted they lived "blocks" away. However, our house is located pretty close to the park and its a corner house, which makes it all the more visible. No one on our street has complained, and believe me, if they weren't okay with it they would've been knocking the night the Avalon set rubber on the lawn.
they still count as being in your neighborhood.

good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Old 02-08-11, 05:21 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

In many cities you can't legally. Some cities won't even let you park on your driveway where its visible to the street if it is non-op
Old 02-08-11, 08:24 PM
Raralith
Intermediate

I got a ticket in Rosemead (Southern California) for parking on the lawn. Meh, it was a ****ty neighborhood, people couldn't park, no permit required, and I don't believe there were no parking hours either since the street never saw a street sweeper. That being said, a parking enforcement guy opened the gate, and issued me the ticket which cost me $50.
Old 02-08-11, 09:30 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My brothers HOA rule says you can't park a car on your own lawn sighting it brings down the home value or something like that. They got a notice when my dad parked his Lexus on my brothers lawn when he was loading things up for a couple of hours. My brother was going to park his NSX on the front lawn and see if they claimed it was unsightly and brought down the neighborhood value. In the mean time he has two old broken down cars sitting in his driveway and that is perfectly fine since it's not on the lawn 2 feet away. Sometimes I wonder, what is worse? A Lexus or NSX on the lawn for a couple of hours or two old broken down cars in the driveway.

PS. I guess we are ghetto because we grew up in the country. You could park cars, broken cars, tractors, whatever on your own yard. I guess I we just don't fit in with the rich city life. Us poor country folk don't measure up.
Old 02-08-11, 09:58 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

[/QUOTE]

I don't live at a country club either, but I do live 1/2 mile above a country club. Later I will share the story of somebody trying to park on the golf course/green and the police response.

More on topic, above I posted related San Jose ordinance. (post#18)

Last edited by IS-SV; 02-08-11 at 10:02 PM.
Old 02-08-11, 11:53 PM
jli
Driver School Candidate

hey OP, I live in SJ too and go to school there. You dont have to wait til the pge to come to your mail. just go online and log in to your pge account and add the name and then print the page =)
Old 02-09-11, 09:44 AM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

You can change your address on both your license/registration online and print it out from there. Ask the people that register the permit if the printed out forms from the DMV Website is sufficient (it should be IMO).

You can do this at a later time too, it does not cost anything nor do you have to go to the DMV.
Old 02-10-11, 06:48 AM
rinthiran
Rookie

Originally Posted by svntwosix
Most of SF has cement lawns so you will always see cars parked in front of their house.
Its illegal in SF to block a driveway or public walkway (fire hazzard and exit hazzard). Parking on a lawn (that doesn't include the above issues) is considered a "blight", and you can be issued a citation and be required to remove the car.

i think most residential neighbourhoods in the bay area have similar laws.