Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Hybrid vehicles: Now in the Philippines

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-11, 01:18 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lexus Hybrid vehicles: Now in the Philippines

Okay the announcement maybe two-three months old but what the heck.

All I'm saying here is:
Lexus Manila has launched their very first hybrid vehicles: LS600hL and RX450h

Hybrid alert: Two new green machines from Lexus

Can you be an environment-friendly motorist while getting a relaxing massage? Lexus says yes--if you have about P10 million.

Lexus Manila is set to launch two new hybrid vehicles in the country--including the four-seater LS600hL, which has a full entertainment system and a shiatsu massager to boot.

The LS600hL is powered by a 5.0-liter V8 gasoline engine, two electric motors and a large-capacity battery pack.

"The hybrid powertrain generates a peak combined output rating of 438hp and can effortlessly accelerate the LS600hL from zero to 60mph (96.6kph) in just 5.5 seconds," Toyota said. Lexus is the Toyota Group's luxury brand.

Lexus Manila president Daniel Isla said the LS600hL will cost about P9.9 million for all the goodies it packs. A five-seater varian, which comes with less features, will also be introduced at P8.9 million.

Aside from the LS600hL model, the RX450h is also making its way to Manila this month. At P4.8 million, the RX450h comes with a 3.50liter V6 engine with electric motors. It also has "a small and light power-control unit and other fuel-saving innovations."

Is this your kind of ride? Watch for more details after the vehicles' launch on October 21. In the meantime, why not click here to check out the existing lineup of Lexus in the Philippines?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T9J9vy5YYE[/youtube]

In a few more weeks, a third Lexus Hybrid will launch and it will be the CT200h model.

It will be priced at around 2.3-2.8 million pesos (which makes it the most affordable Lexus vehicle in the Philippines to-date........beating the IS300 out by a few hundred thousand pesos)

So yeah, for those local pinoys out there who want a Lexus vehicle but only have less than 3M in cash, then this Lexus CT is right for you.

P.S.
Interesting. If it comes here at 2.3 million pesos, then it will be the same price as Toyota Prius (TMPI). If that's the case, then between the two, I'd go for the Lexus CT200h in an instant cause I get more 'car' out of it.

Old 02-02-11, 01:43 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

10 million peso?

That's chump change for Filipinos...
Old 02-02-11, 02:01 PM
LexFather

Glad to see the product expansion

Old 02-02-11, 02:31 PM
Hypnotik
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dang 9.9 million. Thats like $225k USD. Lots of rich people in philippines though
Old 02-02-11, 02:52 PM
lex-phil
Driver

They are also launching the CT this month to add to that lineup.

Originally Posted by topgear.com.ph
Lexus to launch CT200h in February

The Lexus CT200h's arrival in the Philippines is no longer a secret. You've read about it in the December issue where the Chief was enlightened about the reason behind having a luxury hatchback in the market.

What you probably didn't know is when it's actually coming. Well, you will now. No less than Lexus Manila president Daniel Isla revealed that the CT200h will be officially unveiled in the Philippines on February 21.

As a full-hybrid--it can operate on electric power alone or on gasoline alone, or both--with Toyota's eco-friendly technology, the Lexus CT200h will be priced between P2.3 million and P2.8 million. As chief editor Vernon B. Sarne said in "Sense, Sensibility, Luxury" (Top Gear Philippines, December 2010), one can push the CT200h to produce 99hp and 142Nm when running the car on gasoline. The hybrid hatch's motor can generate 82hp and 207Nm while the battery can push this up to 37hp.

"As a unified hybrid mated to a continuously variable transmission, the whole system yields a collective 136hp--certainly not bad for a compact hatchback weighing 1,370 kilos (about as heavy as the Prius)," the Chief said.

Since the year has practically just started, Isla said Lexus will most likely sell the CT200h to 40 discerning and environment-conscious motorists this year.

The CT200h is Lexus Manila's third hybrid offering in the Philippine market. Last year, the luxury brand under the Toyota Motor group introduced the LS600h and the RX450h.
source: topgear.com.ph

Also, Lexus Philippines sales figures 2010:
Originally Posted by topgear.com.ph
Lexus Manila sales grew 37% in 2010

Lexus has only been in our market (officially) for two years, and yet it has already made a serious dent in the luxury segment--one that was previously contested by BMW and Mercedes-Benz. According to Lexus Manila president Danny Isla, Lexus sold a total of 235 units in 2010, representing a 37-percent improvement from the 172-unit tally they accomplished in 2009, their maiden year in the Philippine market.

"The original target last year was just 200 units," Isla told us during Toyota's annual media thanksgiving party held last week. "But then it was revised to 225 units after the first quarter."

Worth noting is the fact that Lexus sold well in its first two years in spite of having just one showroom, which is located at the Fort Bonifacio Global City. And apparently, the best-selling Lexus models here are the RX350 and the ES350. "They made up 80 percent of our total sales," Isla pointed out.

For 2011, Lexus Manila's sales target is 305 units, or 30 percent above its 2010 numbers. A new model--the hybrid compact hatchback CT200h--will certainly help in this regard. Isla projects they will be able to move some 40 units of this car, which is due to be launched on February 21.
Old 02-02-11, 03:49 PM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Deng thats alot of money, probably cheaper to buy it and bring it there, though those two won't have enough space for my family there haha, we gotta keep old skool and use a jeepney.
Old 02-02-11, 04:43 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Thats a lot of money. i'd buy it here and then transfer it there.
Old 02-02-11, 11:11 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexusChris
Deng thats alot of money, probably cheaper to buy it and bring it there, though those two won't have enough space for my family there haha, we gotta keep old skool and use a jeepney.
Thats a lot of money. i'd buy it here and then transfer it there.
Unfortunately, while you can do it, I think Lexus Manila has a policy that it will charge additional 50% (minimum) for Lexus vehicles that are not sourced from Lexus Manila. So if you like buy a Lexus vehicle from a dealership abroad (like US, Canada, Europe or where ever) then service it at Lexus Manila, then you have to pay higher service fees plus a membership fee to avail of their repair and maintenance services.

It's BS.........but I guess that's how some things are.

Oh and as you know, a big portion of the high price goes to import taxes and engine displacement tariffs we have here.

Also, there are ZERO tax credits, incentives or discounts for hybrid vehicles or alternative fuel automobiles (heh blame it on stingy Philippine government ). So yeah, whatever price Lexus charges from the factory is really reflected in the final Philippine SRP (Suggested Retail Price) with NO discounts or reductions.

On the plus side though, it's not too bad. MB charges 10.5 million pesos for their S400 Hybrid so I guess it's not too bad

Besides, in the current Philippine context, these hybrid vehicles are niche vehicles anyway (especially premium hybrids). I don't expect these to become extremely mainstream until at least year 2020.

Two cents
Old 02-03-11, 12:03 AM
dsp979
Lead Lap

I would like to add to Blackraven's comment that you would pay a hefty import tax to bring a vehicle to the P.I. Looked into it back in 2009.

So you're probably better off just buying it there.
Old 02-03-11, 01:03 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

wow ... 300 units for the entire 2011 year?!! Thats not a lot of cars!
Old 02-03-11, 05:59 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
wow ... 300 units for the entire 2011 year?!! Thats not a lot of cars!
Hehe, on a stand-alone numbers only viewpoint, yes that isn't a lot.

However
Yeah like I said, in the Philippine context, that number of 300 cars sold per year is actually quite a lot.

Hehe cars like Lexus, Audi, BMW, MB, etc. are considered luxury items and niche goods. In a developing country market such as ours, you can't expect these to sell in thousands (especially with people's limited incomes and that only a few peeps in this country are rich).

But hey, at least we have 'em .

@MaxNine

Tax is heavy indeed..........unless you want to smuggle them here illegally (like what a few grey/parallel importers do here) to avoid paying tax or to bribe the local corrupt customs agents.

Of course though, doing that has it repercussions and consequences.

P.S.
40 units of Lexus CT200h for the Philippine market for the whole year of 2011 is already quite a lot of units for a luxury vehicle in this country.

Me thinks.
Old 02-03-11, 06:52 AM
papaalex
Lead Lap

Cars are really more expensive there. I dont think I can have the same 2 Lexuses that I currently have if I was still working back home in the Philippines.

People who buy Lexus in the Philippines are REALLY on the higher income bracket..
Old 02-03-11, 08:43 PM
metalgear
Lexus Champion

10 million pesos!? Wow kabayan that's a lot of money! For P10 million I could buy a mansion there! lol
Old 02-03-11, 09:05 PM
LexFather

This is the Hong Kong allocation...different than ours... Phillipines might get something similar

Originally Posted by flipside909
Here are the available features and colors for CT in HK.

The CT F-Sport goodies:

Exterior: (Note the different color names for HK)

Source

Old 02-03-11, 10:06 PM
rsantiago
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Hehe, on a stand-alone numbers only viewpoint, yes that isn't a lot.

However
Yeah like I said, in the Philippine context, that number of 300 cars sold per year is actually quite a lot.

Hehe cars like Lexus, Audi, BMW, MB, etc. are considered luxury items and niche goods. In a developing country market such as ours, you can't expect these to sell in thousands (especially with people's limited incomes and that only a few peeps in this country are rich).

But hey, at least we have 'em .

@MaxNine

Tax is heavy indeed..........unless you want to smuggle them here illegally (like what a few grey/parallel importers do here) to avoid paying tax or to bribe the local corrupt customs agents.

Of course though, doing that has it repercussions and consequences.

P.S.
40 units of Lexus CT200h for the Philippine market for the whole year of 2011 is already quite a lot of units for a luxury vehicle in this country.

Me thinks.
You can always go through Port Irene in the province to import them

Quick Reply: Lexus Hybrid vehicles: Now in the Philippines