Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW may build 3- and 5-series cars in U.S.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-11, 07:10 AM
LexFather

Post BMW may build 3- and 5-series cars in U.S.

http://billionaires.forbes.com/artic...illionaire%27s

BMW may build 3- and 5-series cars in U.S.
Staff
and Wire Reports January 12, 2011 06:01 CET

BMW AG is considering widening the types of cars it makes in the U.S., a senior executive told a German daily newspaper.

A possible option is for BMW to build the 3- and 5-series models in the United States, Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung said, quoting sales and marketing board member Ian Robertson.

There are no concrete plans right now on the matter but "I would not rule it out altogether," Robertson told the paper in an interview published Wednesday.

BMW currently makes the X3, X5 and X6 models in Spartanburg, South Carolina, where its sole U.S. manufacturing facility is located.

The carmaker has a 2.3 percent U.S. market share and last year sold 266,000 cars in the U.S., up from the 2009 level of 242,000.

U.S. to pass Germany as largest market

BMW says U.S. sales will likely surpass the company's volume in Germany for the first time in 2011.

Last year, the U.S. fell just 252 vehicles short of overtaking Germany as the company's single largest market,
said Jim O'Donnell, CEO of BMW of North America, said at the Detroit auto show on Monday. The figures include the Mini brand.

O'Donnell says U.S. sales will pass Germany because the U.S. economy is on the mend and because dealers will have a full year with the redesigned X3 SUV.

"The X3 has been a huge boost for us," O'Donnell added.

Meanwhile, BMW's Spartanburg factory will produce at full capacity of 240,000 units in 2011
, said Josef Kerscher, president of the company's U.S. production arm in Detroit. The newly expanded plant boosted capacity by 50 percent last year as it added production of the new X3.

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...#ixzz1Avc4zt90

Old 01-13-11, 09:13 AM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Always good to hear more jobs may be coming here.
Old 01-13-11, 09:23 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good news, simply a sound business decision.
Old 01-13-11, 09:51 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Maybe the cost of parts will go down too.....
Old 01-13-11, 11:45 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm, no more long waits for custom orders. Shipping from Bremerhaven is painfully slow.

But I hope they continue to build the M3 and M5 in Germany. Still hope to do European Delivery one day on one of these cars.
Old 01-13-11, 11:47 AM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by INHOCJP
Hmm, no more long waits for custom orders. Shipping from Bremerhaven is painfully slow.

But I hope they continue to build the M3 and M5 in Germany. Still hope to do European Delivery one day on one of these cars.
Long wait? BMW typically takes 2 months, a lot faster than a lot of other car mfgs.
Old 01-13-11, 11:58 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OC 335d
Long wait? BMW typically takes 2 months, a lot faster than a lot of other car mfgs.
I'm referring to the actual shipping time...not the entire production process.

My M3 arrived at the Bremerhaven port on 12/20 and is scheduled to arrive in So. Cal. on 2/8. Traveling over the Atlantic and via the Panama Canal takes a long time. If my car had been built in the US, I would probably have received it in 3 weeks, rather than 3 months.
Old 01-13-11, 01:42 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

funny how opinions so far that it's ok for bmw to build more cars in the u.s., but if lexus were to build in the u.s. (do they build any? i believe rx is built in canada?) i would expect the usual 'not as good as japan' response.

anyway, this is great potential news. german labor laws and rates are absurd, putting a major squeeze on brands like bmw, and mercedes.
Old 01-13-11, 01:46 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by whoster
Maybe the cost of parts will go down too.....
Yes, maybe the part costs will go down. Unfortunately for the buyers the part prices most likely won't go down.
Old 01-13-11, 03:51 PM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
funny how opinions so far that it's ok for bmw to build more cars in the u.s., but if lexus were to build in the u.s. (do they build any? i believe rx is built in canada?) i would expect the usual 'not as good as japan' response.

anyway, this is great potential news. german labor laws and rates are absurd, putting a major squeeze on brands like bmw, and mercedes.
I was going to ask about that whether shoppers are ok if bmws are "made in USA"
Old 01-13-11, 04:10 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

We see those concerns on the Mercedes forums ^. The new C-class owners are often concerned if the car was made in South Africa versus Germany, but I think all the US-delivered C-classes are from Germany.
Old 01-13-11, 06:07 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, german made cars are not as good as Japan made cars anyway, so might as well build them in the US

Yeah but they get subsidies from the german government, and the savings are then passed onto the US buyers
Old 01-13-11, 06:18 PM
lucasb7
Lead Lap

I think that it is a pretty major concern. If the X5 and X6 (Spartanburg, NC) have shown us anything, the reliability of cars built in the U.S. will take a marked decline in build quality. It may just be the designs but those two automobiles are definitely at the bottom of BMW's reliability markings. I hope this decision is in the far off future.

Another concern this raises is the end of ED for the 3 and 5. BMW will not do european delivery on any of the X's so that could be a big bummer for the 3/5. But who knows, they could continue to build cars in both countries and an ED excursion could be a good excuse to get a German built car.
Old 01-13-11, 07:06 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lucasb7
I think that it is a pretty major concern. If the X5 and X6 (Spartanburg, NC) have shown us anything, the reliability of cars built in the U.S. will take a marked decline in build quality. It may just be the designs but those two automobiles are definitely at the bottom of BMW's reliability markings. I hope this decision is in the far off future.

Another concern this raises is the end of ED for the 3 and 5. BMW will not do european delivery on any of the X's so that could be a big bummer for the 3/5. But who knows, they could continue to build cars in both countries and an ED excursion could be a good excuse to get a German built car.
Just curious which of the X5 or X6 you have owned?

My X5 has been annoying...as expected...but my father's X6 has been pretty good other than a few small issues.

I'd say the 335 has had much worse reliability and issues....and guess where it's built?

What difference does it make if the robots are in Germany or the USA?

The majority of BMW's have nothing hand built.
Old 01-13-11, 10:30 PM
lucasb7
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Just curious which of the X5 or X6 you have owned?

My X5 has been annoying...as expected...but my father's X6 has been pretty good other than a few small issues.

I'd say the 335 has had much worse reliability and issues....and guess where it's built?

What difference does it make if the robots are in Germany or the USA?

The majority of BMW's have nothing hand built.
I don't have any first hand experience with the reliability of the X5 or 6. I have, however, heard horror stories from a close friend of mine who has an E53 and E70 X5. And of course the reliability reports from consumer reports had some influence.

Sorry for the OT:

In 2009 I came close to ordering an X5 35d. I loved the car, it handled great, the d has grunt, and it felt like a tank. But ultimately I beat on my SUVs and simply didn't want to spend that much on something I had uncertainty about and what would basically be the family beater/tow car. Hence the MDX as a temporary solution.

I would be very interested to hear your experiences with your X5 (pm?). I am still in the market for either an X5d or LX570 (I know they're different but I like them both for different reasons--my SUVs do go offroad). From what I've read the 35d's power train is more reliable than the 3.0, 3.5i, and 5.0i apart from some early issues with the urea tank?