Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota's biggest problem: Aging lineup

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-11, 09:35 PM
LexFather

Post Toyota's biggest problem: Aging lineup

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Toyota...35248.html?x=0

Honest article and points that have been discussed.

DETROIT (AP) -- It would be easy to think Toyota's biggest problem is its damaged reputation caused by sudden acceleration recalls, millions in government fines and massive lawsuits and settlements. But what's hurting the company most is an aging lineup of boring cars.

Over the past decade, Toyota and its U.S. dealers had it easy. Cutting edge design wasn't required because the cars sold themselves on reputation. Everyone knew Toyotas held their value, were safe and got drivers from point A to point B with little drama. Then came the recalls, which called all of that into question.

Ending the year on a low note, Camry sales fell 10 percent in December from a year earlier. Corolla sales plunged 35 percent. Unless things turn around quickly, Camry is in danger of losing its 10-year crown as the nation's top-selling car this year to the Honda Accord.

Ho hum cars are "probably the worst problem for them," says Jessica Caldwell, director of pricing and industry analysis for Edmunds.com. "They always had their (safety) reputation to fall back on, but now that's not the case."

CEO Akio Toyoda acknowledges that Toyota is at a design crossroads. He has told dealers several times that he's working to improve Toyota's exterior styling, pushing designers to come up with something more exciting. The company is "intent on making Toyota cars better looking," he told reporters Monday during his first-ever visit to the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.

After becoming the world's largest automaker in 2007, Toyota reversed course and resumed giving executives in Japan the final say on design decisions for the U.S. market. Some question whether that change left Toyota at a disadvantage as Hyundai, Ford and General Motors moved quicker to tailor new designs specifically for U.S. car buyers.

Mike Jackson, CEO of Autonation, the country's largest car dealer network, says that in the past, sedans sold based primarily on their quality, reliability and resale values. Automakers believed "the styling should be conservative enough to not put people off," he said. "I don't think that's the future. Now you have to differentiate yourself."

Company insiders dispute that notion that Toyota is facing anything approaching a design crisis. "Styling is subjective," said Bob Carter, vice president and general manager of the Toyota division. Outsiders may say Toyota cars are boring, but that's the downside of being so popular, he said. "When you see so many of them on the road, they start to look familiar."

The first peek at the next generation of Camry won't come until the New York Auto Show in April. They'll be in showrooms this fall.
Early reviews of the next Corolla model were not enthusiastic when it was unveiled at the Los Angeles auto show in November. People at the show couldn't tell it from the 2010 Corolla unless they read a sticker Toyota put on the newer model.

Toyota is focusing most of its attention at the Detroit show on an expanded Prius lineup. The centerpiece is a Prius MPV, a minivan-like car. It's also showing a five-seater that is smaller than the current Prius sedan. It eventually will be sold in the U.S., although the timing is still unclear. And it's bringing a plug-in electric Prius to compete with the Nissan Leaf and Chevy Volt. The minivan goes on sale this summer, and the plug-in will be on sale this spring.

But even if the Prius debuts are hits at the auto show, hybrids aren't the company's bread and butter. They were outsold 4-to-1 by the Camry and Corolla in 2010, when Toyota was the only automaker to sell fewer cars and trucks than in 2009. Even after piling on incentives, it lost 2 percentage points of market share and slipped behind Ford as the runner up to GM in sales.

Working in Toyota's favor is that about 60 percent of its customer base have owned Toyotas in the past and are loyal to the brand. "The recall crisis is hurting them, but it's not like they are in dire straits," says David Whiston, an auto analyst with Morningstar investment research firm. "But they may never get back to that halo status they had a few years ago."

Toyoda says the company is recommitting to focusing on consumers and on styling, but they need to move fast if they want to keep up with the competition. "Their big mantra before the recalls flurry was that their customers liked predictability and reliability, and they gave them that more than any other manufacturer," says Peter DeLorenzo, editor of auto blog AutoExtremist. "But the game has changed."

Old 01-10-11, 10:17 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mostly stuff we already know, along with the usual useless commentary from "analysts" who ignore the market reality.

Great to hear we have confirmation on when the next-gen Camry will debut. So its not Detroit or Chicago like many expected. So it seems Toyota delayed the new Camry by a few months, not a big deal.

Mike Jackson, CEO of Autonation, the country's largest car dealer network, says that in the past, sedans sold based primarily on their quality, reliability and resale values. Automakers believed "the styling should be conservative enough to not put people off," he said. "I don't think that's the future. Now you have to differentiate yourself."
Why would the CEO of Autonation say something so silly? Last time I checked, the Camry was STILL the top selling sedan in the market, and the bland Accord was in 2nd place.

The market reality is that conservative styling sells, in big numbers. The Ford F150, Camry, Corolla, and Accord are ALL conservative designs. The Civic is one exception, but the next-gen Civic will be MORE conservative than the current model. The Ford Fusion also has conservative styling.

Maybe he doesn't think that's the future, well he does so thinking like that at his own risk. The market reality TODAY is "differentiating" styling still puts off a lot of people, and I don't see that changing much in the future.

Company insiders dispute that notion that Toyota is facing anything approaching a design crisis. "Styling is subjective," said Bob Carter, vice president and general manager of the Toyota division. Outsiders may say Toyota cars are boring, but that's the downside of being so popular, he said. "When you see so many of them on the road, they start to look familiar."
Perfectly said by Bob Carter. Despite the "bland" criticism, the cars continue to be very popular.
Old 01-10-11, 11:59 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

The article is incorrect in stating the next Corolla debut in Los Angeles was hardly noticable. It wasn't a redesigned car, but only a facelift. They are talking like it was an all new car.

And I agree it's not fair to criticize the Camry's styling. When you sell as many Camry's as Toyota does, the look becomes extremely familar because you are seeing so many each day. This popularity gives the illusion the car is dated when it really is not.

BTW, I read the same article in 2006 right before the new Camry debuted. This happens at the end of every Camry lifecycle. No one seems to be in this industry long enough to see and remember the patterns.
Old 01-11-11, 12:08 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've always biched about this.
sheet metal is cheap. you can mold it any way you want. Add some creases and contours. some style.

The camry is in a unique position. It is a car which has a pretty good reputation, and just happens to be the Mediocrity benchmark in terms of appearance.

Even if toyota spiced up the camry, it would still be #1 in sales. Spicing it up will not turn people away.

people don't buy the camry because it looks a certain way. They buy it because it's cheap, and has a pretty spotless reputation. That unintended accleration garbage doesn't count.
Old 01-11-11, 02:35 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

I think the current generation Camry is quite handsome.
Old 01-11-11, 03:55 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I also agree the current Camry is handsome. But it’s obvious it needs more style. Honestly lately all I been hearing about is Hyundai new cars. The Honda Accord is far from bland. It actually looks like a transformer or whatever. I really think Toyota should either go radical with either the Yaris or Corolla both cars look so boring on the road. But its obvious people love them. Do I think Toyota should change? H! No But they can do a little better in the design dept. That way all the people that were once loyal to Honda will come over vs. going to Hyundai or Ford.
Old 01-11-11, 05:04 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think that argument flies. Toyotas are not that popular in Europe and they still look bland. They're not ugly, you just wish they had spent a bit more time and money on design to make a truly disireable product. I can't think of any Toyota that would buy based on looks. I think their challenge is going to come from Hyundai and Kia, they are really putting the effort and resources in and it's starting to bear fruit. 5 and 7 year warranties and a recognition of quality at least as good as Toyota's help as well.
Old 01-11-11, 05:21 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Andy
I don't think that argument flies. Toyotas are not that popular in Europe and they still look bland. They're not ugly, you just wish they had spent a bit more time and money on design to make a truly disireable product. I can't think of any Toyota that would buy based on looks. I think their challenge is going to come from Hyundai and Kia, they are really putting the effort and resources in and it's starting to bear fruit. 5 and 7 year warranties and a recognition of quality at least as good as Toyota's help as well.
for US market, it certainly flies... because conservative is what people buy there. It is not like VWs are winning beauty contests either, and they are certainly not radical with almost identical interiors across the lineup. Yet, VW is best sold brand in the Europe.
Old 01-11-11, 05:23 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Another thing to note is that Toyota is going to update almost every car they make in the next 2 years.... Yaris, Corolla, Camry, Rav4... all are getting all new versions... So obviously, their major designs are now 6 years old, of course it is stale.
Old 01-11-11, 05:27 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

By far the Camry is the most comfortable,smooth riding and quiet car in it's class.That's the main reason why I bought one.
Toyota shouldn't change the ride quality for a bit more handling.

Last edited by Joeb427; 01-11-11 at 05:32 AM.
Old 01-11-11, 07:08 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Aging lineup? I don't think it will matter the Camry will if not still the best seller, the Corolla updated for 2011 I have no question will still be one of the best sellers even with the redesigned Elantra, new Cruze, and new Focus, the newly updated Highlander for 2011 seems to be selling quite well, then there's also the new Sienna selling well.

I have no problem with their styling , better than taking it to the extreme like Hyundai or somewhat Honda is trying to do imo. That to other buyers like myself is a turn off.
Old 01-11-11, 07:47 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fortunately Toyota is not standing still, so next wave of new product releases are still unknown to public. Agreed, usual commentary in article.
Old 01-11-11, 07:50 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MR_F1
I think the current generation Camry is quite handsome.
Agreed, I find the Camry and new Sonata to be the best looking in this class of affordable fwd sedans. And the strong sales numbers of both show the huge success of both models.

The current Camry has a European look that even VW can't seem to get right. And the proportions are especially good for a fwd car.
Old 01-11-11, 08:11 AM
Rolexus600
Driver

Originally Posted by Joeb427
By far the Camry is the most comfortable,smooth riding and quiet car in it's class.That's the main reason why I bought one.
Toyota shouldn't change the ride quality for a bit more handling.
Agreed. My family had a 2002 Camry up until 2009. I used to rent the side apartment of my parents house and would occasionally take their car if it was blocking mine in the driveway (especially at night).

There was definitely a time where I took that car for granted but the luxury-car smooth ride was so welcome over the potholes where I lived. For a 4 cyl., that engine was surprisingly refined too. I would definitely consider one in the future.

The Accord has a slightly more involving drive but didn't really match the comfort of the Camry. If that's what kept them warming the top spot for 10 years or so, they shouldn't change a winning formula!

Michael
Old 01-11-11, 08:29 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

honestly, now "old" camry looks a lot better than our Euro Avensis to my Euro eyes - I only saw it few times but it has some interesting lines. Of course, interior is too simple for Europe.

Quick Reply: Toyota's biggest problem: Aging lineup