Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2011 Lincoln MKX

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-10, 03:39 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
With its premium Volvo, Jaguar, Aston-Martin, and Land-Rover divisions sold off and gone, Ford doesn't dare drop Lincoln like it did Mercury....there won't be anything left. We discussed that issue some tme ago, in another thread.
This has nothing to do with Ford selling off it's money-losing premium car brands.

Of course, more to the point is that Lincoln needs to make premium products, not just badge-engineered Fords like the slow-selling crap that came out of extinct Mercury division.

The discussion and pictures here show too many common body parts are used in some Lincolns. More successful SUVs like the MDX (versus Pilot) and RX (versus Highlander) are visually more unique and share no body parts with their cheaper relatives.
Old 12-22-10, 03:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Like the new Edge, it needs an industrial-sized orthodontic retainer to correct its front overhang, which is exacerbated by what's visible of the drooping baleen grille. Even at rest, the MKX looks like it's tipping forward from all the visual weight over its front axle.
Yes, the droop-front does look a little awkward, especially with the smiley-tooth grille that, like on other Lincolns, looks like a grinning teen-ager showing off a new set of braces. But, all else equal, long overhangs like that, while adding weight to the front end and slowing steering response, also help smooth the ride out....and remember, this is a Lincoln, and needs to be aimed at the traditional Lincoln customers.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-22-10 at 03:51 PM.
Old 12-22-10, 03:47 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, the droop-front does look a little awkward, especially with the smiley-tooth grille that, like on other Lincolns, looks like a grinning teen-ager showing off a new set of braces. But, all else equal, long overhangs like that, while asding weight to the front end and slowing steeering response, also help smooth the ride out....and remember, this is a Lincoln, and needs to be aimed at the traditional Lincoln customers.
lol, the droopy front end is a bit much, agreed.

Btw, the MKX does not have a long overhang by industry standards in 2010 (it's actually less front overhang than many fwd-based crossovers). Adding front overhang to smooth out ride is the poorest and least effective way to accomplish that, sounds like dated and archaic 1950's engineering at best (and those buyers from that era are insignificant part of market that Lincoln services today).
Old 12-22-10, 03:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Of course, more to the point is that Lincoln needs to make premium products, not just badge-engineered Fords like the slow-selling crap that came out of extinct Mercury division.
My point was that, badge-engineering or not, Lincoln is here to stay, at least for the time being. Ford simply cannot afford otherwise. They made the choice between Lincoln and Mercury, and Mercury lost.

I would say that Lincoln makes premium products....more so, in some cases, than rival Cadillac. You won't find a 4-speed automatic or a V8 with V6 power (like on the Cadillac DTS), on any Lincoln nowadays other than the fleet-sales-only Town Car. And every Lincoln product (including the thread-topic MDX) comes with AWD either standard or as an option....something the DTS also lacks.
Old 12-22-10, 03:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

lol, the droopy front end is a bit much, agreed.
Lincoln, like Audi, Cadillac, and Acura, seems to have a thing about using the same grille on all their new products.

Btw, the MKX does not have a long overhang by industry standards in 2010 (it's actually less front overhang than many fwd-based crossovers). Adding front overhang to smooth out ride is the poorest and least effective way to accomplish that, sounds like dated and archaic 1950's engineering at best (and those buyers from that era are insignificant part of market that Lincoln services today).
I didn't mean to imply that a smooth ride was the only reason (or the main reason) why the overhang was used. That's just one of the trade-offs for the extra bulk up front, heavy front end, and duller steering.

For a real Lincoln overhang, check this out............the '79 Mark V

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-22-10 at 03:59 PM.
Old 12-22-10, 03:55 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

My point was that, badge-engineering or not, Lincoln is here to stay, at least for the time being. Ford simply cannot afford otherwise. They made the choice between Lincoln and Mercury, and Mercury lost.
Nobody said Lincoln should go away, it's just that the cars/SUVs need to resemble premium tier 2 product soon.

Ford's choice of Lincoln over Mercury was a good/sound business decision.
Old 12-22-10, 03:57 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I didn't mean to imply that a smooth ride was the only reason (or the main reason) why the overhang was used. That's just one of the trade-offs for the extra bulk up front, heavy front end, and duller steering.
Oh, I see. No kidding, the front overhang has nothing to to with attempt at smooth ride (in last few decades). In fact lengthening the wheelbase and shortening the overhang while retaining same overall length will improve ride more.
Old 12-22-10, 04:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Groovy Hoovey, thanks for posting this.

This is my favorite Lincoln, which isn't saying much because most of the product line is marginal at best.
You like it more than the MKZ? The MKZ, of course, carries much of the Ford Fusion's excellent quality and technology...including the hybrid.

(I know you sometimes complain about the Lincoln alphabet-soup, so I'll post a shot of it)

Old 12-22-10, 04:14 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

You like it more than the MKZ? The MKZ, of course, carries much of the Ford Fusion's excellent quality and technology...including the hybrid.

(I know you sometimes complain about the Lincoln alphabet-soup, so I'll post a shot of it)
Yes, like most car-shoppers today, I still don't know or care about differentiating between Lincolns alphabet-soup-mess of a naming convention.

In short, I prefer the Fusion over this badge-engineered version. And I prefer the Edge Sport over the MKX thing.

Last edited by IS-SV; 12-22-10 at 04:17 PM. Reason: I had to edit the Z to an X in my last sentence, bummer
Old 12-23-10, 11:26 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

C, I'm thinking I'd like a Edge Sport...
Whew! Had me worried their S!

This monstrosity is awful....the Edge I can understand.
Old 12-23-10, 01:04 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Whew! Had me worried their S!

This monstrosity is awful....the Edge I can understand.
C - My vision and other faculties are still working fine.

btw - Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your entire family! Let it snow too.
Old 12-23-10, 02:37 PM
LexFather

Funny saw one today and thought of this thread. That new giant dinosaur grill might be worse than Acuras. It is way to blingy and just at odds with such a slabsided vehicle. Quite frankly its offensive

Old 12-23-10, 03:11 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

^^ MKX the choice of Barney, lol.
Old 12-23-10, 03:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Funny saw one today and thought of this thread. That new giant dinosaur grill might be worse than Acuras. It is way to blingy and just at odds with such a slabsided vehicle. Quite frankly its offensive
The new MDX grille is really not much different from the ones on other Lincolns (except for the Navigator). They all have that same super-chrome Smiley-Toothy design, which I've described before as a grinning teenager showing off a new set of braces.
Old 12-23-10, 03:30 PM
LexFather

The new MDX grille is really not much different from the ones on other Lincolns (except for the Navigator). They all have that same super-chrome Smiley-Toothy design, which I've described before as a grinning teenager showing off a new set of braces.
Now that is a good description.

Maybe add IS-SV's Barney....Barney wearing braces

Quick Reply: Review: 2011 Lincoln MKX