Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

is the auto transport industry run by amateurs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-10, 08:42 AM
rebs
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckler
he's offering me 17-18k for it.

the car has about 43k miles on it. i think kbb has it for 20K+ as a trade. 25k retail.

still weighing my options here:
1)fix it and risk salvage title as he claims
2)sell it
3)try to sue
Just my humble opinion....but do NOT take the offer. Contact an attorney ASAP.

They should buy you out for at least retail + whatever add-on's or mods you have. They should reimburse you for not having a car for two weeks (or however long they were covering up the incident). They should reimburse you for attorney fees (because it's their blatant dishonesty that put you in this position). I also wouldn't be surprised if you get something extra for what the general public would probably refer to as "pain and suffering", but basically paying for whatever time you put into tracking this lie down, any time you've taken off work, etc.

As crappy as this situation is you are in an excellent position to take them to the cleaners, and why I usually abhor that action (and terminology) there's a huge difference between making a mistake, and making a mistake and engaging in a huge cover-up. If it wasn't for your persistence, you may have never found out your car had even been in an accident.
Old 12-22-10, 11:54 AM
MrBabyMan
Driver School Candidate

Yes i got insurance and it was included with the whole transport deal. i'm going to seek legal advice now.

i got see the extent of the damage of it last night after they tried spending the last few weeks covering it up

here's some pics

Damn chuck...just...damn.

Auto Transport can really suck sometimes. There are a lot of shady russian drivers out there who are just totally full of ****. When I used American Auto Transport to ship my car a few months ago, they assigned me to some driver who hardly spoke english and was pretty damn late in delivering. Luckily though, I took the advice of the broker and booked everything early just in case something like that would happen. Car wasn't damaged or anything, but I was still .

On the bright side though, it sounds like you have a case.
Old 12-22-10, 01:07 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

he's offering me 17-18k for it.

the car has about 43k miles on it. i think kbb has it for 20K+ as a trade. 25k retail.

still weighing my options here:
1)fix it and risk salvage title as he claims
2)sell it
3)try to sue
I would fight for the replacement cost of the car.....good luck and keep us posted
Old 12-22-10, 05:41 PM
TOPSECRTIS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Holy crap, that is insane! They really tried to hide the damage, what a bunch of idiots. On a side now, I have had 3 cars shipped across the country and used a broker called Honesty First Auto Transport , I have been so impressed with their service I tell everyone about them. I hope this all works out for you.
Old 12-22-10, 06:08 PM
Keppie
Lead Lap

I would not accept the car under any circumstances. You will never be happy. Get an attorney to handle your calls and tell them not to bring the car.
Old 12-22-10, 06:11 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

That looks awful, and sounds like a big lie (about the accident). Get an attorney, ASAP!
Old 12-23-10, 11:10 AM
chuckler
Driver

so i spoke to a lawyer, and it looks like i'm not going to get much out of a lawsuit.

time to call insurance
Old 12-23-10, 11:16 AM
dayrinni
Rookie

so i spoke to a lawyer, and it looks like i'm not going to get much out of a lawsuit.

time to call insurance
Nah, time to speak to ANOTHER lawyer.
Old 12-23-10, 11:33 AM
chuckler
Driver

anyone got any lawyers?
Old 12-23-10, 01:07 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The most expedient way out of this is to try to settle with the hauler for the retail value of car before damage. If he won't go there try to do the best you can to at least get back what you have in the car. Yeah you might sue him and get money, or not. Lawyers are always happy to spend someone elses money in a quest for a fat paycheck.

As a matter of interest how close is the hauler's offer to what you have invested in the car?
Old 12-23-10, 02:09 PM
chuckler
Driver

Enok Eo, the hauler of Skyline Express, offered me 18k. That doesn't include any of the things I did to the car. F-shift, ground effects, hids, etc. He's not paying for any of those.

I called my insurance to take care of this and see how bad the damages are. Gonna take it from there after I learn how much it costs to fix and if its totalled.

Unfortunately, all the lawyers I spoke to so far, say there isn't enough money in this to make it worth the effort. But i'll wait and see what happens after the claims adjuster checks out my car.
Old 12-23-10, 02:11 PM
chuckler
Driver

Also, can anyone recommend good lexus dealer in socal that does nice repair work?
Old 12-23-10, 08:21 PM
ISThree
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

may i recommend Select 1 Transport for all your needs next time?
PM me with any question.

this is where your IS will be in
Old 12-23-10, 08:46 PM
blacksedan
Lead Lap

the lawyers are right, there isn't much in it for them on this case. have you spoken with the manager? why aren't they putting a claim on their company insurance?
Old 12-23-10, 11:53 PM
tC_demon
Pole Position

Ron's Body Shop in Torrance, CA...They are prefer shop for South Bay Lexus and South Bay Benz. Took my IS350 x2 and my TSX and my mom's Highlander...Really top quality work...All OEM stuff.

Quick Reply: is the auto transport industry run by amateurs?