Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Subcompact sales fail to impress; Ford Fiesta and Chevy Aveo selling similarly

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-10, 10:43 AM
LexFather

Post Subcompact sales fail to impress; Ford Fiesta and Chevy Aveo selling similarly

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/12/08/s...hevy-aveo-sel/

Despite the wave of all-new compact and subcompact fighters hitting the market right now, sales of small cars in the U.S. don't appear to be budging much. According to Cars.com, models like the much-hyped Ford Fiesta are struggling to do much better than their older, stale counterparts at other automakers. So far, the Fiesta is number four in sales in the subcompact segment, falling well behind the Nissan Versa with 6,724 sales in November, the Honda Fit with 4,180 units and the Hyundai Accent at 4,052. In fact, Ford only managed to move 3,473 Fiesta units – just a hair above the 3,262 soon-to-be-replaced Chevrolet Aveo vehicles that rolled off of dealer lots last month.

Fortunately, the news is a little better for larger vehicles like the Chevrolet Cruze. General Motors managed to sell 8,066 of its small sedans in the vehicle's first full month on the market, and a total of 8,955 new-for-2011 Volkswagen Jetta models found homes during the second to last month of the year as well. Even the aged Ford Focus saw its sales jump by 27 percent to 13,030 in November thanks in no small part to an aggressive incentive program.

Head over to Cars.com for a full breakdown of America's disappointing subcompact sales, then chime in with your thoughts on the matter in Comments.

Old 12-08-10, 10:46 AM
venom21
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not to offend, but the typical stereotype rings true again. Americans don't want anything to do with "small".
Old 12-08-10, 10:53 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let's see if a solid run-up in gas prices sticks long enough to pump-up these small car sales. Holiday gas price spikes for a few weeks alone won't do it.
Old 12-08-10, 11:03 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is on a roll of remarkably nonsensical declarations of late, not least of which are the "mpg" ratings for the 2011 Nissan LEAF and 2011 Chevrolet Volt. The latest, and possibly silliest, pronouncement: the 5,771-pound, 453-horsepower V-12 Rolls-Royce Phantom Coupe is a compact car.

How, in the name of all things measurable, did the EPA come to that conclusion? The EPA classes cars not on weight, length, or some other exterior factor, but on interior volume. Even more laughable? The Bentley Continental GTC, at 5,663 pounds and 552 horsepower, is classed as a sub-compact. The Aston Martin DB9 and DBS? Mini-compact cars in the same class as the MINI Cooper.

By way of comparison, the Toyota Prius; Nissan Altima, Sentra, and Versa; Hyundai Elantra; Chevrolet Malibu; Ford Fusion; Kia Optima; and Audi A6 are all classed as "midsize" cars.

But what's the point of the EPA's classification structure anyway? To regulate fuel economy, dividing passenger vehicles into sub-categories. The rub? While cars are rated on internal passenger and cargo volume, pickups, SUVs, and minivans are rated on Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR). The result: many heavy pickups and SUVs aren't held to fuel economy standards at all.
Motor Authority
Old 12-08-10, 12:32 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by venom21
Not to offend, but the typical stereotype rings true again. Americans don't want anything to do with "small".
This is fairly accurate for the most part. However, there are a good amount of people who prefer sub-compacts even if they can afford a larger car.

This lagging sales trend as of late is also directly correlated to consistently low gas prices in the last 2 years. However, it has started to shift again in the last month as it has gone from $2.50-$3.00/gal. Experts are saying to get ready for more hikes for a number of reasons including a declining dollar and tight drilling regulations. As we saw 3 years ago when gas shot to $4, you couldn't even find a sub-compact to save your life. I think it's great that we now have all these choices. I'm sure the automakers are assuming that gas price hikes are inevitable and getting these cars ready is smart even if there's a slow start.
Old 12-08-10, 12:42 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
This is fairly accurate for the most part. However, there are a good amount of people who prefer sub-compacts even if they can afford a larger car.

This lagging sales trend as of late is also directly correlated to consistently low gas prices in the last 2 years. However, it has started to shift again in the last month as it has gone from $2.50-$3.00/gal. Experts are saying to get ready for more hikes for a number of reasons including a declining dollar and tight drilling regulations.
And around the same time we'll see a spike in small car sales. American's still want their big cars as long as they can afford to keep them fueled up. The price of gas will always be a major factor in small car sales.
Old 12-08-10, 02:59 PM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's not a surprise for me... if I am spending my $$ buying the sub-compact cars I will go for these two Japanese before Ford Fiesta. I will not buy the Aveo...
Old 12-08-10, 03:10 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I can't believe the Fiesta isn't selling better. It's the most efficient and the most attractive.
Old 12-08-10, 05:13 PM
vipism
Driver School Candidate

the standard mpg for a compact is now 50 mpg (prius), so the standard mpg for a midsize to fullsize should be 35 mpg mixed.

standard gasoline 4 cyl and 6 cyl all do horrible in traffic, it makes little difference. all those "highway" ratings are completely useless on standard gasoline cars.
Old 01-27-11, 02:55 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

My roommate is lookin at a Fiesta. Intially he wanted a Fit, but I persuaded him to take a like at the Ford instead as I think that it is a better car by ALOT.
Old 01-27-11, 03:17 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

people in usa want their small cars with small prices... hence Fiesta is not doing well... once they put some incentives in, it will sell better.

i dont like fiesta imho, style over substance... there is minimal versatility in that car, unlike fit and yaris.
Old 01-27-11, 03:19 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I observe how well the CRV sells, I have higher sales volume expectations for the 2012 Escape replacement (Kuga).
Old 01-27-11, 03:37 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I can't believe the Fiesta isn't selling better. It's the most efficient and the most attractive.
There are a couple of things going against it:

1) They named it Fiesta. Reminds people of the old small clunky Fiestas made in the 80s; or it just reminds people that it's simply old and outdated. Ford should have had a metamorphosis, not a flashback. Ford should have given it a new name, like how Toyota didn't call the Yaris a Tercel or Echo.

2) They marketed it for Europe. Which is fine. In Europe. They emphasized sportiness and amenities.

In the U.S, they should have emphasized economy and efficiency. Ford should have flaunted it to be the same value (not price, value) as a Yaris/Fit.

Last edited by PhilipMSPT; 01-27-11 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-27-11, 03:40 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

how can Fiesta have same value as Corolla/Civic? It is one size smaller car that is least versatile among its peers.
Old 01-27-11, 03:57 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

I was a big fan of the Fiesta until recently when I spent some time with it at the autoshow.
I still like it for style and efficiency but there's a major problem that I think is the sales killer here in the US. Its interior space, or lack thereof.

The Fit and Versa are huge inside - the Versa's interior is actually classified as midsize and it's a sub-compact. The Fit's cargo space looks like an SUV but with a nice deep floor. And the Yaris is Just as roomy as a Corolla. The Japanese are genius space makers.

If you're an adult, forget about riding in the back of the Fiesta. It's a neck breaking procedure getting in. Even the front is cramped.

Quick Reply: Subcompact sales fail to impress; Ford Fiesta and Chevy Aveo selling similarly