Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Forbes: Worst Car Flops of 2010

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-10, 11:11 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Forbes: Worst Car Flops of 2010

Worst Car Flops Of 2010
Hannah Elliott, 12.06.10, 1:00 PM ET

Last week Honda announced it will discontinue the Element, an angular SUV meant to appeal to quirky-cool drivers, but which seemed to appeal to no one: The car suffered seven consecutive years of declining U.S. sales. The line will be killed after model-year 2011 units leave the factory.

Dwindling sales is one way to determine an automotive flop. Excessive hype before a launch, with media silence afterward (see: Acura ZDX) is another. So is a round of scathing reviews from auto critics, and a Consumer Reports rating that places a car among the 10 worst vehicles of the year (see: Smart Fortwo).

Sure, some owners of these vehicles might love their cars and may be completely happy with their purchases. But overall these lines failed to meet expectations--or even worse, hurt the company as a whole. That's why the ZDX, Fortwo and Element rank among the worst cars of the year.

To develop a list of cars that flopped this year, we consulted three expert auto analysts: Jake Fisher, senior automotive engineer for Consumer Reports; Troy Snyder, director of product development at NADAGuides; and John McElroy, host of Detroit's Autoline Daily. Each nominated what they think were the worst new vehicles, all things considered.

Admittedly, it's a subjective tally. One car they all agreed on, though, is the Honda Insight. This was going to be the hybrid sedan to beat Toyota's Prius--it cost a few thousand dollars less, and is more conventionally styled. But the Insight's drive performance--and sales--didn't reflect the hype.

"It has failed miserably against the Prius," McElroy says. "It's a complete flop. In fact, Prius sells 10 times what the Insight sells."

The real secret, McElroy adds, is that almost every hybrid on the market today is a flop: "I guarantee you every single automaker is losing money on every single hybrid they build, with the exception of the Prius."

Hybrids are losing money because consumers just aren't buying them. In the 12 years since hybrid vehicles have been on the American market, and with seven mainline brands selling more than 20 hybrid options--everything from the Lexus HS250h sedan to the Cadillac Escalade Hybrid SUV--hybrids still make up just over 2% of the market. And half of that belongs to the Prius.
http://www.forbes.com/2010/12/06/wor...les-flops.html

In Pictures: Worst Car Flops of 2010
http://www.forbes.com/2010/12/06/wor...ops_slide.html
Old 12-07-10, 11:57 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Interesting list with no real surprises.

OTOH it's good the carmakers are willing to take some chances even though they don't always work out.
Old 12-07-10, 11:59 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Interesting list with no real surprises.
So true.
Old 12-07-10, 12:55 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joeb427
So true.
Yes, a non-event.
Old 12-07-10, 01:15 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

cliff notes: hybrids suck. (although 1sicklex's GS450h was very cool to drive!)
Old 12-07-10, 04:10 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ouch! Honda has too many cars on that list. But we all knew that.....
Old 12-07-10, 05:20 PM
AMAlex
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nothing special, and I'm glad that the element will be out of the line up, I never liked it and I never will.
Old 12-07-10, 05:55 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i was prepared to call bullsh-- if i didn't see the HS250 on that list.
Old 12-07-10, 06:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Admittedly, it's a subjective tally. One car they all agreed on, though, is the Honda Insight. This was going to be the hybrid sedan to beat Toyota's Prius--it cost a few thousand dollars less, and is more conventionally styled. But the Insight's drive performance--and sales--didn't reflect the hype.

"It has failed miserably against the Prius," McElroy says. "It's a complete flop. In fact, Prius sells 10 times what the Insight sells."
The Insight failed against the Prius for two main reasons. One, the Insight simply doesn't have the engineering/refinement in its IMA system that Toyota puts in its hybrids....the electric motor jerks and bumps noticeably while engaging/disengaging, and, Two, the four-door Insight's back seat and headroom is almost as useless as that of a small sport-coupe.

But, I've said it before, and I'll say it again.....I still think the Insight is more solidly-built than the new 3Gen Prius. Compared to the 2Gen Prius, the 3Gen, IMO, is a big let-down in body sheet-metal and interior-trim solidness. Toyota really used a lot of thin, lightweight parts in the new Prius....maybe (?) one of the reasons for its excellent fuel mileage.

The Prius, unlike the Insight, also gets a lot of hype from celebrities, environmentalists, and the entertainment industry...not to mention Consumer Reports. It's been that way for years....and accounts for a lot of the car's popularity.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-07-10 at 07:01 PM.
Old 12-07-10, 07:57 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

If 2010 doesn't set Honda straight, nothing will. They dominated the year in flops and I hope management is listening. It's not just the ugliness, they're making fundamental mistakes such as designing whole vehicle types that shouldn't exist (most notably the Crosstour). The Insight, on the other hand demonstrates Honda's failing technology. To even introduce a Prius fighter that gets only 40/43 MPG when the Prius gets 48/51 MPG is embarrassing to Honda nevermind that the Insight looks like a cheap knockoff and basically has the interior of a Honda Fit.
Old 12-07-10, 08:04 PM
1AFCabinUA
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mmarshall
But, I've said it before, and I'll say it again.....I still think the Insight is more solidly-built than the new 3Gen Prius. Compared to the 2Gen Prius, the 3Gen, IMO, is a big let-down in body sheet-metal and interior-trim solidness. Toyota really used a lot of thin, lightweight parts in the new Prius....maybe (?) one of the reasons for its excellent fuel mileage.
this is absolutely preposterous, I'm sorry. The Insight is built like a Fit - it's cheap, hollow, and just embarrasing. The new Prius is no luxury car, and has some crappy interior parts, but at least it feels substantial, from both behind the steering wheel and on the inside.
Old 12-07-10, 08:05 PM
1AFCabinUA
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
If 2010 doesn't set Honda straight, nothing will. They dominated the year in flops and I hope management is listening. It's not just the ugliness, they're making fundamental mistakes such as designing whole vehicle types that shouldn't exist (most notably the Crosstour). The Insight, on the other hand demonstrates Honda's failing technology. To even introduce a Prius fighter that gets only 40/43 MPG when the Prius gets 48/51 MPG is embarrassing to Honda nevermind that the Insight looks like a cheap knockoff and basically has the interior of a Honda Fit.
Thumbs up......
Old 12-07-10, 09:52 PM
LexFather

List is obvious, what we have talked bout. VW Routan should be included...probably some others too, Infinit M37/56 is a borderline flop. BMW 5 series GT flopped hard.

Last edited by LexFather; 12-07-10 at 10:42 PM.

Old 12-08-10, 12:35 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm surprised I didn't see the BMW 5-Series GT and Lincoln MKT, but there are some 2011 models that been out for awhile I don't see too much of including the Mazda 2 and Infiniti M-line. The poor Suzuki, I have probably seen only once , I can't even see it as I pass the only dealer I know of that sells Suzuki because the front is flooded with used luxury cars.
Old 12-08-10, 01:37 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ZDX and crosstour were destined to fail from the get go.

The smart car does fairly decently here because of businesses buying them.

Quick Reply: Forbes: Worst Car Flops of 2010