Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mazda celebrates turning 90, looks back at logos

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-10, 04:44 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jewcano
I think your arguing for the sake of arguing now......

To contradict yourself, how is a symbol more convoluted than a word? So you're saying the word "Mercedes Benz" is easier for someone to associate with the company than their classic ?

And as someone else pointed out, symbols are very important for those who can't read the language as symbols are universally understood. So yes a good symbol is important for a company. It seems you are pulling at straws now to defend your point. You said symbols are useless, then you say kids who can't read yet will associate the word Toyota as a symbol of the company instead of their classic
No. If you read my posts, all of them, the complete meaning of my thoughts is very often companies like Mazda and Toyota try to develop logos after they have become famous. What their folly is that by that time people already recgonize them by their existing "logo" which could be "MAZDA" or "TOYOTA" or "HONDA" or "GM" or "AT&T".The exercise to develop a logoafter you are already a household name is meaningless. If Toyota had a green frog as a logo right from the get go, then a Green Frog would be the symbol of reliability.
Old 12-04-10, 04:51 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
No. If you read my posts, all of them, the complete meaning of my thoughts is very often companies like Mazda and Toyota try to develop logos after they have become famous. What their folly is that by that time people already recgonize them by their existing "logo" which could be "MAZDA" or "TOYOTA" or "HONDA" or "GM" or "AT&T".The exercise to develop a logoafter you are already a household name is meaningless. If Toyota had a green frog as a logo right from the get go, then a Green Frog would be the symbol of reliability.
Quite a few companies use their own names as their 'logo', this is true, GAP does and so do many others. However most car companies don't follow this method of 'displaying themselves'. Many of them, like the cars themselves, evolve their logo over time. When did the Toyota 3 Ring originate? When did the Honda H originate? I know Mercedes has been using their ring for a LONG time. Every company operates and updates its own image as time goes on.

GAP recently tried to change their logo, and it was met by an outcry to go back to their old look; people hated the change. Companies listen to the consumers, and if honestly people didn't like the changes, and let the company know in great numbers, the company would go back to its previous symbol.
Old 12-04-10, 05:42 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

The current Toyota Mark consists of three ovals: the two perpendicular center ovals represent a relationship of mutual trust between the customer and Toyota. These ovals combine to symbolize the letter "T" for Toyota. The space in the background implies a global expansion of Toyota's technology and unlimited potential for the future.
Does it even matter what it stands for? The c-level officers spend good time thinking about it. Futile design exercise. For the consumers it means "reliability". that is it.
Old 12-04-10, 05:52 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Does it even matter what it stands for? The c-level officers spend good time thinking about it. Futile design exercise. For the consumers it means "reliability". that is it.
If that's the case then whats the point of having a mission statement? What's the point of all of these 'useless' things? Sometimes people like to know what their company stands for, or what the origin is of a companies symbols.
Old 12-04-10, 06:11 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the consumers it means "reliability". that is it.
And your research/proof for this?
Old 12-04-10, 06:11 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

If that's the case then whats the point of having a mission statement? What's the point of all of these 'useless' things? Sometimes people like to know what their company stands for, or what the origin is of a companies symbols.
Same argument.
Your work speaks. Not your mission statement.
What was Toyota's mission statement when it became a symbol of reliability?
None.
Their work on the shop floor spoke for them. Not a statement made up in a board room.
Old 12-04-10, 06:16 PM
LexFather

Same argument.
Your work speaks. Not your mission statement.
What was Toyota's mission statement when it became a symbol of reliability?
None.
Their work on the shop floor spoke for them. Not a statement made up in a board room.
At this point seems like you are arguing the philosophical view and not the proven view.

Here is an example of branding gone wrong that happened very recently.

http://247wallst.com/2010/10/08/gaps...nd-damage-gps/

Gap’s Logo Change Adding Brand Damage (GPS)

Old 12-04-10, 06:20 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

I know the GAP fiasco.
and I am speaking about what has happened. I am not giving any hypothetical examples,
Old 12-04-10, 06:21 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

I'll fill you in then really quick. When you see this symbol here what do you think?

When I see it, sure I think "Ferrari", however what else comes to mind associated with the symbol: Premium, Exotic, Fast, Catches fire, etc etc. You drive an IS250, have you taken off your Lexus Emblem? People notice physical descriptions before words. Our brains are cued to pick up objects. We look for shapes, something that catches the eye. Logos do just that, and that is their sole intention.
Old 12-04-10, 06:24 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

I'll fill you in then really quick. When you see this symbol here what do you think?

When I see it, sure I think "Ferrari", however what else comes to mind associated with the symbol: Premium, Exotic, Fast, Catches fire, etc etc. You drive an IS250, have you taken off your Lexus Emblem? People notice physical descriptions before words. Our brains are cued to pick up objects. We look for shapes, something that catches the eye. Logos do just that, and that is their sole intention.
That is after the fact.
If the cars behind this logo were a POS, then this logo would stand for POS, not what the logo designer was thinking when he designed it.
That is my argument.
Old 12-04-10, 06:34 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

What feeling is invoked when I see this logo?

Amazing drivers car. And an even more Awesome car for the mechanic to get rich.

Is that what the logo designers had in mind when they developed this logo?

Your work, your product makes the logo famous, and not vice versa.
Old 12-04-10, 06:44 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

TSA Mission statement
The Transportation Security Administration protects the Nation’s transportation systems to ensure freedom of movement for people and commerce.

Do you think this is the emotion that is invoked when you see the TSA logo? more so when this new pat down is in place?

No. Based upon the arguments in the other thread going, nobody cares about the TSA mission statement.
They are recognized by their creepy work.
Old 12-04-10, 06:47 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

FORD

Found On the Road Dead

Is this what Henry Ford had in mind when he put his name on his cars?
Old 12-04-10, 06:49 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

GEICO

The Gecko from GEICO is now synomynous for insurance.

Did the ad folks have that in mind when they introduced the Gecko?
Old 12-04-10, 06:50 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

AFLAC

The duck is now synonymous to workplace/supplemental insurance.
Are you telling me a duck means insurance?

Quick Reply: Mazda celebrates turning 90, looks back at logos