Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next Acura NSX built on flip-flopped Honda Accord chassis?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-10, 11:30 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

since nissan did it with a v6 Honda is trying to follow haha.

im jk, i have no idea what im saying; but that honda rendering looks gorgeous
Old 11-24-10, 07:32 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How come a car company with Honda's resources doesn't have a house-built V8 either in production or on the drawing board???? It boggles the mind.

Anyone else, Nissan, Toyota, even Hyundai would have a choice of high performance engine options (6, turbo 6, various V8s, V10) for super sports car... but not Honda.
Old 11-24-10, 07:41 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Agent0024
I still don't understand Honda's obsession with the V6.
Especially dated, inefficient V6's lacking DOHC, DI, high compression.
Old 11-24-10, 11:26 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by speedflex
How come a car company with Honda's resources doesn't have a house-built V8 either in production or on the drawing board???? It boggles the mind.

Anyone else, Nissan, Toyota, even Hyundai would have a choice of high performance engine options (6, turbo 6, various V8s, V10) for super sports car... but not Honda.
lol you can talk to their religious department
Old 11-24-10, 11:47 AM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

In celebration of the 20th anniversary of the NSX, NSX Fiesta was just held in Japan. NSX owners from around the world went to the celebration, including a number of US owners and the owner of NSX Prime. Here's a picture thread:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142760

They even had 5 NSX-Rs that a handful of lucky guests were able to take out on the track. Of course Shigeru Uehara, the lead designer of the NSX and S2000, was in attendance.

However, one prime member who went posted this:

(The owner of NSX Prime) actually picked up a magazine in Japan during NSX Fiesta that had a few more pics and a side view (maybe he can post it up). The side view showed it more resembles a Ferrari 458.

FWIW, all of the Honda brass (current and former) indicated during Fiesta that there are no plans for another Honda sports car.

I hope they were being misleading.
So I wouldn't be getting my hopes up that this rendering comes to fruition...
Old 02-08-11, 05:38 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

But it's for real this time, I swear...

http://www.insideline.com/acura/nsx/...-next-nsx.html

Honda Plans Next NSX

Published Feb 7, 2011

Just the Facts:

• Honda says it is starting a feasibility study for "a new sports car."
• The plan could deliver the long-wished-for replacement for the NSX.
• Honda already has a hybrid supercar under evaluation.

TOKYO — Honda President Takanobu Ito dropped a bombshell here late last week when he said the automaker would begin a feasibility study for "a new sports car."

His comment came during Honda's annual motorsports conference in Tokyo, where Honda outlined its plans for the coming 2011 season.

In Japan's Super GT championship (the nearest thing Japan has to NASCAR), Honda won the championship last year with the HSV-010 GT coupe, which is a pure prototype, while Toyota and Nissan are fielding cars in Super GT that are ostensibly production-based.

When asked whether Honda would make a road-going version of the HSV-010 GT to comply with the spirit of Super GT rules, Ito said no, but added, "There is clearly a demand for that type of car that we must answer."

Therefore, he said, Honda would begin a feasibility study for "a new sports car," but no timetable or details of any kind were given out.

While many fans long for Honda to build a replacement for its groundbreaking, midengine NSX of 1990-2005, Honda's belated reply has been to craft an upscale, megabuck, front-engined V10 4WD supercoupe, ostensibly to rival Lexus' LFA.

That car was canned at the 11th hour as the Lehman Brothers crisis broke in 2008, but a separate racing version, with a 3.4-liter V8, carbon-fiber chassis and rear-wheel drive, survived — it's that car that Honda's been racing in Japan's Super GT series, winning both GT500 drivers' and manufacturers' titles in 2010.

Behind the scenes, Honda has been crafting ideas for a "new NSX" for the road for some time. One idea has been for a midengine coupe to rival the Audi R8, another to go for broke and build an ultrahigh-tech super hybrid with a $500,000 sticker.

Whatever the outcome, Honda has at least started to talk publicly again about a new sports car, so a true successor to the legendary Acura NSX might yet appear.

Inside Line says: Honda's President Ito, who was in charge of the aluminum body of the NSX, has now begun a feasibility study for "a new sports car." Should we take that as a good sign? — Peter Nunn, Correspondent
Old 02-08-11, 05:45 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Honda says it is starting a feasibility study for "a new sports car."

Uggghhh, like should I get excited?.........
Old 02-08-11, 06:11 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV

you should, this is probably the high point already
Old 02-08-11, 06:15 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Study? They HAVE been studying. They just haven't put the damn HSV into production!

The concept was fantastic looking and had the supposed V10 went in there, it would have been a pretty good machine. Not holding out for this one... It'll be 10 years before another concept is shown, and then another 5 years of going back and forth with production, then finally another 5 years just to say "We know you guys want a sports car, but because we're Honda, we're not producing it".
Old 02-08-11, 06:15 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
you should, this is probably the high point already
LMFAO....soo true. Typical of Honda to get everyone's attention and hopes up and NOT deliver.
Old 02-08-11, 06:18 PM
LexFather

Seriously after a decade of useless press releases/announcements/rumors I could care less about the ugly brand, I heard the news last week and didn't even post it. Call me when they build something of interest without a beak and even then, its too late. Hyundai laughs at them.

I could quote myself from ten years ago and what I said would still be completely relevant and accurate.

Anyone excited about this company after all the lies and bull****, I have some prime beachfront property in Chad I would like to sell you. Really, its on the Atlantic coast, I can get you a great deal. Its completely laughable for anyone to get even remotely excited about a brand that has basically teased, lied to and embarrassed its rabid fanboi fanbase.

I feel for NSX owners and enthusiasts who have seen the name raped by Honda and the press for this next possible car going on what at least 6 years now.

But hey, this is the same lame company showing a drifting FWD 201hp TSX in an ad with the front wheels spinning out of control where they say "Born from a sports car"

Old 02-08-11, 07:37 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Toyota will launch the second generation FT86 by the time a concept even hits the show circuit.

Old 02-09-11, 12:22 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

This thread made me think of this.
Attached Thumbnails Next Acura NSX built on flip-flopped Honda Accord chassis?-torque.jpg  
Old 02-09-11, 05:39 AM
oinkus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV

the key word here is feasibility. they are going to do a study to see if it is possible or worth it to do a new sports car.

they're just going to say it's not worth the money and continue to make ugly and boring cars.
Old 02-09-11, 10:20 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Some early spyshots have been released!

Next Acura NSX built on flip-flopped Honda Accord chassis?-aafx3.jpg

Quick Reply: Next Acura NSX built on flip-flopped Honda Accord chassis?