Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2011 Hyundai Elantra peeks out ahead of LA Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-09, 06:47 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Default 2011 Hyundai Elantra spied

Like a mini next gen Sonata.

We caught up with a Hyundai test group uduring a stopover in the Nevada desert, getting our first look at what appears to be the redesigned 2011 Hyundai Elantra. Also on hand in the test group were a Honda Civic and a Kia Forte. The prototype's side-window profile shows a striking teardrop shape, and an attractive greenhouse arc. We also see evidence of design inspiration from the soon-to-be-released 2011 Hyundai Sonata, which, itself, will be getting a sloping, coupe-like roofline. In addition to this prototype's sleek profile, the headlights stretch well up the fender as on the new Sonata.

Should you doubt this prototype's identity as a Hyundai, you should know that our shooters were able to get a close-up shot of the decal embedded in the car's side glass, clearly revealing the Hyundai logo.

In the interior shot, after the jump, you'll get a glimpse of the 2011 Hyundai Elantra's interior, which seems to reflect the company's continued progress in interior design and materials. Even in this obstructed view, this cabin looks to be a step ahead of the Kia Forte's.
http://blogs.edmunds.com/straightlin...i-elantra.html
Old 09-08-09, 07:18 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Hmm reminds me of the 2010 Ford Fiesta...
Old 09-08-09, 07:30 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hyundai is insane lately. Their designs are better than the competition and their interiors are starting to look better and better.

Hyundai is the new VW, sans the drama I hope.
Old 09-08-09, 08:33 PM
LexFather

Hoovey good eye.

ANYTHING ANYTHING ANYTHING is going to be better than the current Elantra. I was so let down by the redesign 5 years ago.

Old 09-08-09, 08:38 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Looks like Huindai is cashing in while everybody else is busy with cost cutting.

How are they able to do it? Continuously improve products, expand product range, offer the best warranty and the best deal, improve all around quality and still sell at bargain prices?
Old 09-08-09, 10:33 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another new Hyundai, another car full of design cues from other automakers. Shape and window line looks like a Mazda 3, interior is full of random styling cues that are barely cohesive at all.

Also I feel Hyundai has been overrated in terms of their new interiors. Sure many of their interiors "look" good, but have any of you sat in these new interiors and used them? I am not talking about the Genesis sedan, but the Genesis coupe. The interior "looks" good but it is actually quite cheap. Same with the Elantra, and same with the Santa Fe.

I don't think the new Tuscon or Sonata interiors will be amazing quality-wise, even if they look good.

I don't think Hyundai has exceeded Toyota (or Honda) quite yet. Nissan still offers a lot of car for the money, as does Mazda. They also have some sort of cohesion with their styling. Hyundai has nothing that is best-in-class, or best in anything. It's not enough to just offer value either, or quality. Gimmicky designs are also not enough. There are plenty of other brands right now that will soon be offering value, quality, and gimmicky designs. Competition will only increase, and we shall see how Hyundai will handle it.

I will also point out that the prices for new Hyundai models are slowly creeping up, and they are not as amazing value-wise as they used to be before.

Enthusiasts love to criticize Toyotas because they're "bland", "boring" etc. but you will never mistake a Toyota (or Lexus) for any other car ... unless it's a Hyundai, since Hyundai loves to copy Toyota among others.

A Corolla may be boring, but a Corolla looks like a Corolla, not like 10 other cars on the market. Boring it may be, but it is cohesively boring.

Hyundai's styling in the past few years has been all over the map. Because the company has no cohesive styling of their own, they risk alienating some buyers and they also risk huge depreciation on their models if their styling is always dramatically changing. The only styling thing common to all new Hyundais is that there is no cohesion.

Originally Posted by Och
Looks like Huindai is cashing in while everybody else is busy with cost cutting.

How are they able to do it? Continuously improve products, expand product range, offer the best warranty and the best deal, improve all around quality and still sell at bargain prices?
One reason is that they have partial backing by the South Korean government.

Last edited by TRDFantasy; 09-08-09 at 10:36 PM.
Old 09-09-09, 03:59 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Looks good from here
Old 09-09-09, 04:19 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
One reason is that they have partial backing by the South Korean government.
So, are they basically getting free money from the govt, to basically subsidize US car buyers?
Old 09-09-09, 04:40 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Not bad at all........
Old 09-09-09, 06:09 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Och

Well, paying their assembly workers slave labor rate certainly helps Not to mention not having to mean EPA standards on factory pollution and sub standard working conditions government subsided factories and the lack of safety regulations.

Last edited by The G Man; 09-09-09 at 06:12 AM.
Old 09-09-09, 06:16 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by The G Man
Well, paying their assembly workers slave labor rate certainly helps Not to mention not having to mean EPA standards on factory pollution and sub standard working conditions government subsided factories and the lack of safety regulations.
Thats more like what I'm thinking. Plus low R&D costs since they never innovate but rather blatantly rip off others design and tech.
Old 09-09-09, 10:12 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Thats more like what I'm thinking. Plus low R&D costs since they never innovate but rather blatantly rip off others design and tech.
That's the thing. Why do they need to cover up since they are the imitator ???

Regardless, much better than the current version.
Old 09-09-09, 11:19 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
So, are they basically getting free money from the govt, to basically subsidize US car buyers?
I don't know exactly how their government backing works, but I do know it exists. Also some of the things The G Man mentioned are likely true as well.

A lot of people have been talking about how the competition has to watch out for Hyundai ... yet nobody has mentioned yet Hyundai's biggest threat; the Chinese. The Chinese are master imitators and have perfected copying technology, and designs and modifying it for their own purposes. Chinese cars, when they arrive in the US and other world markets, will be very direct competition for Hyundai. Chinese cars are already selling fairly well in some overseas markets.
Old 09-09-09, 11:24 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
The Chinese are master imitators and have perfected copying technology, and designs and modifying it for their own purposes.
Thay said the same thing about the Japanese 30 years, The Japanese use to take apart the competition's car and study and copy them. That is the advantage of being a start up car company. You can pretty say that about any industry, its always cheaper to follow than to lead. Toyota and Lexus have learned that a long time ago. Only recently have Toyota started to introduce some new automotive technology. Honda have learned that new technologies doesnt always spell profit.
Old 09-09-09, 11:39 AM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

I hope that all of you who are bashing Hyundai and questioning their finances do realize that unlike Toyota/Lexus, Nissan/Infiniti, and Mazda, Hyundai Corp is a manufacturing GIANT not limited only to automotive vehicles.

You wonder where the money comes from? They're not solely dependent on their vehicle sales for profit.

TRD, I'd like some proof about the government backing claim. It's not the first I've heard of it but like you, that information has come from Hyundai anti's with never any hard evidence. If you can provide that, your post may have a little more solidity that your own personal claim which holds certainty whatsoever.

Quick Reply: 2011 Hyundai Elantra peeks out ahead of LA Auto Show