Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Damn! '09 GTR's as low as $62K with under 8K miles!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-10, 06:54 AM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
Well, the point of my thread was to just show everyone that a pre-owned new GTR could be had by a middle-classer where at one time when new it was $90K (to as much as $100K)! Hands down this is an incredicle machine and looks menacing in person. It may not be Ferrari but I know it would still turn heads in MANY areas due to not being a dime a dozen like a Zo6 or other alike.

First off, if one had $50-60K to spend on a car and wanted a super high performance car then GTR and/or Zo6 should be the top choices...and these cars wouldn't have a crapload of miles on them. Try buying ANY Ferrari at this pricepoint and you would either get a 10yr old Ferrari with high miles or a slightly newer Ferrari (7-8 years old) but one of the lowest models...also with high miles. and the servicing would dwarf that of the GTR's servicing.

Ferrari is a beautiful car but A LOT comes with it. I would NOT want to SQUEEZE my budget and buy an old Ferrari with high miles, pay insane amounts of money for servicing and park it in the driveway of my $400K house in NY...lol. IMHO these types of cars are "supposed to be" for the rich parked in top neighborhoods in the driveway of AT LEAST $1MM+ homes.

Seriously, I like to buy cars that are:

A) within range of my finances
B) within range of my overall standard of living
C) within range of my envioronment (i.e. neighborhood, house etc etc)

In my immediate area people seem to keep their cars at $80K and lower. Anyone with a Bentley or out of the ordinary type car in our area is "hood rich." Everything goes towards their car, where house, family and retirement is on back burner; these types annoy me. If your not in that class YET stop trying to pretend you are there!

This is why the MOST I would ever spend on a car in my CURRENT lifestyle is around $50K whether new or pre-owned (no more than 2 years old)...depends on how much I like the car. So no, no 8 year old Maserati's for me. lol However, ONE day if I would decide on a weekend car it is NICE to know that a great car like the GTR can be had by us middle-class folk. Same reason why I LOVE Lexus! It is still a rather high-end vehicle but not over the top where it looks weird in anything but a top tier neighborhood.

The GTR is also nice since it is ALREADY a twin-turbo'd car it is easily moddable (and rather inexpensive) even if you just want to safely add another 60hp or so...not so with a Ferrari or other high-end vehicles.
you care too much about what others think about you.
Old 11-20-10, 08:10 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
it's just like those who see a ferrari 360 or so for 80k and think it's affordable -- until they find out about the cost of oil change
500 bucks for an oil change is okay... if you dont drive much

The biggest scare is changing the timing belt... engine out service... anywhere from as cheap as 8k at shops to 15k at dealers!!!!!!111
Old 11-20-10, 09:57 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
the bigger costs are gonna be the tires, ATF and diff fluid. The air filters were pretty expensive too. It uses standard mobil 1 synthetic. Wonder if its easy for a DIY job. With the price of labor being high its more attractive to DIY as compared to most cars.
oil change can be diy, my friend does oil change on his gtr in his garage and also help out other local gtr guys. but it's a painful process. nissan doesn't charge that much for oil change for nothing i guess. in the end, the car is just very expensive to maintain, both labor and parts

Originally Posted by mikez
500 bucks for an oil change is okay... if you dont drive much

The biggest scare is changing the timing belt... engine out service... anywhere from as cheap as 8k at shops to 15k at dealers!!!!!!111
lol, if you don't drive it at all, then maintenance cost can be zero

well, 8k for brake service is no fun either
Old 11-21-10, 03:10 PM
Anon1210
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't choose a Ferrari over this particular Nissan.

Call it a sign of the times or whatever, but Ferrari's glory days are long gone.

The Lamborghini 560-4 Gallardo, I would probably still rank above the GTR, however.

The Superveloce 670 and Ferrari FXX aside, of course. Those are special edition ridiculous priced versions.
Old 11-21-10, 11:01 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Anon1210
I wouldn't choose a Ferrari over this particular Nissan.

Call it a sign of the times or whatever, but Ferrari's glory days are long gone.

The Lamborghini 560-4 Gallardo, I would probably still rank above the GTR, however.

The Superveloce 670 and Ferrari FXX aside, of course. Those are special edition ridiculous priced versions.
the new 458 is no joke on performance
Old 11-22-10, 09:53 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by shyguy16
you care too much about what others think about you.
How dare he, be himself. How dare he write an articulate post with rational reasoning.

Only on the internetz where people act like no one should care what others think.

Last edited by LexFather; 11-22-10 at 11:31 AM.