Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Does this happen to you as you become older? (car designs)

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-10, 04:11 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree (and the one on the 6-series, IMO, was even worse), but, nevertheless, it still spread...we first saw it spread out to other companies on the Lexus LS460, though the 460 did it with slightly more taste and less of an eyesore.
Agreed 6/7 with original Bangle-butts, too ugly.

IMO, the LS460 does not have a Bangle-butt, take a look.
Attached Thumbnails Does this happen to you as you become older? (car designs)-ls460-pic.jpg  

Last edited by IS-SV; 09-30-10 at 04:14 PM.
Old 09-30-10, 04:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Yeah, it's not a true Bangle-Butt, but the influence was there. As I said earlier, it was done in better taste....and, because of it, the LS460 sales-figures didn't take as bad a hit as the 7-series either. The LS has remained popular to this day.
Old 09-30-10, 04:23 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah, it's not a true Bangle-Butt, but the influence was there. As I said earlier, it was done in better taste....and, because of it, the LS460 sales-figures didn't take as bad a hit as the 7-series either.
To the actual buyers of these cars and IMO the LS460 is a handsome premium sedan, agreed not a true Bangle-butt regardless. The pic above is what an attractive rear section of a sedan should look like (trunk, roofline too).
Old 09-30-10, 07:49 PM
madoka
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I compare the cars I lusted after when I was a young driver and compare them to their current versions, there is no contest - the new versions are MUCH better.

The current Corvette, Camaro, and Mustang all look way better than their 80s counterparts.

The current MB SL, BMW 3, 5 and 7 series all look way better than their 80s counterparts.

Think of the crappy econo-boxes that made up the majority of Japanese cars back then and compare them to what we have now. It's really no contest.

I feel I have greater choices than ever before.
Old 09-30-10, 08:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
To the actual buyers of these cars and IMO the LS460 is a handsome premium sedan,
This might surprise you, but I've considered a used, LS460AWD....the silky refinement/quietness of the LS460 (not to mention its unmatched 14-speaker Mark Levinson stereo) has impressed me like no other modern car I've driven....though the huge, late-60's Lincoln Continentals were also magic-clouds. Though I could (probably) afford a new 460 if I wanted it bad enough, it's just more than I care to spend on a new car.

Agreed......"actual buyers", as you use the term, doesn't necessarily mean "prospective buyers", or vice-versa, but I could see myself in a maybe a CPO.
Old 10-01-10, 07:46 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

This might surprise you, but I've considered a used, LS460AWD....the silky refinement/quietness of the LS460 (not to mention its unmatched 14-speaker Mark Levinson stereo) has impressed me like no other modern car I've driven....though the huge, late-60's Lincoln Continentals were also magic-clouds. Though I could (probably) afford a new 460 if I wanted it bad enough, it's just more than I care to spend on a new car.

Agreed......"actual buyers", as you use the term, doesn't necessarily mean "prospective buyers", or vice-versa, but I could see myself in a maybe a CPO.
Why would anybody be surprised by that (other than noting this would be more tasteful than the Amanti and vinyl-roofed with velour seats geezer-pleezer land barges you go on and on about liking), the LS460 would be an excellent choice.

"Actual buyers" is a loose term meant to include true prospective buyers, agreed. Carefully selected CPO cars are great way to enjoy tier 1 premium cars, my pristine IS350 was purchased CPO and has given me nothing but a new-car-like driving and service experience.