Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Chrysler Workers Drinking and Getting High at Lunch

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-10, 11:54 AM
LexFather

Well we can't say US made. I mean look at all the cars made in the USA that are not Ameican brands. Please help me with the list
Acura TL
Acura RDX
BMW X6
BMW X5
BMW X3
Nissan Armada
Nissan Titan
Nissan Maxima
Nissan Altima
Hyundai Sonata
Kia _____
Kia______
hHyundai_____
Honda Accord
Honda Element
Honda Ridgeline
Toyota Camry
Toyota Tundra
Toyota Highlander
SUburu Legacy
Mercedes M class
Mercedes GL class

I'm sure I missed quite a few others. All those above are American made by foreign companies and quality is hit or miss. For instance the 99-03 Acura TL has **** poor quality and finish. The BEnz ML was one of the worst made vehicles in its first generation. The NIssan Titan/Infiniti QX56 was a disaster. Contrarily the Accord and Camry has been very reliable. The new Maxima is built very well and the Legacy is built well too.

So we can't just paint a brush here.

Last edited by LexFather; 09-23-10 at 11:59 AM.

Old 09-23-10, 01:03 PM
JakeBreyck
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol at you guys getting bent out of shape about my fox comment, then going 180deg with your points and still being bent out of shape, you guys crack me up.
Old 09-23-10, 02:28 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

I loved this news as I count myself high up on the Chrysler hater list

The litterbug in the tape was my favorite A's the guy was too lazy to get out of his truck to through out his empty bottle

His poor toss toward the trash can was epic

Back on topic, if any of us had to spend our days building POS Chryslers, wouldn't we be tempted to drink, etc to survive the pain, futility and embarrassment of being associated with working there
Old 09-23-10, 02:37 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by J.P.
Cannot even count how many times I sat down with execs and we had a scotch \ beer at lunch...........
This.....I guess weed is worse than snorting coke

Originally Posted by JakeBreyck
Lol at you guys getting bent out of shape about my fox comment, then going 180deg with your points and still being bent out of shape, you guys crack me up.
lol, best to just ignore the fox defense I know I do.

Old 09-23-10, 02:41 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

. . . and all these years I thought it was just Chrysler's styling department that was smoking dope!
Old 09-23-10, 03:17 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not surprised. I actually know of gas/electric union utility workers that do the same, substance abusers (and none of the substances are good). Bad situation regardless.
Old 09-23-10, 04:11 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
... but I can no longer put Ford in this equation... they are doing phenomenal and continue to improve
Ford had more recalls in last 5 years than Toyota and GM combined. They even recalled some of the supposedly fixed vehicles.
Old 09-23-10, 05:43 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Ford had more recalls in last 5 years than Toyota and GM combined. They even recalled some of the supposedly fixed vehicles.
Never had one of my Fords recalled... but... I'll stand by my statement: "...they are doing phenomenal and continue to improve"
Old 09-23-10, 08:29 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
Minus Ford, I agree... does the UAW now have mandatory drug screening.... if you pass, you fail? Wait, is that contradictory? Wait, who bailed out GM.... and the unions????
Attachment 186894
Well, Obama loved his cocaine back in his college days. I'd bet he was one hell of a beer pong player too...
Old 09-23-10, 10:40 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Use of drugs in the workplace can be dangerous, particularly in a manufacturing or warehouse environment. In an industrial setting, working impaired can easily be deadly - to you, or your fellow workers. It's not just a matter of safety, it's a matter of insurability. Everbody knows from day one - if you come to work high, you will leave without a job.

The companies I work with have a zero tolerance policy that is hard and fast. One of my clients' had a marketing guy I worked with for several years who had been a big man in the music business. Long story short, he got invited to the Grammy Awards and had himself a smoke or two with his friends in LA. He flies back to Houston and shows up to work . . . and a surprise drug screening. Out of all the employees, three people flunked and were terminated - two guys in the shop, and my friend.

The reason he left the music business is that years before he went broke after he'd put his entire company up his nose - and although he "should" have known better, getting back with his old friends provided the trigger for a relapse.
Old 09-24-10, 05:34 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I think this is a valid story because for most workers, the whole concept of drinking during the workday, smoking pot, and, heck, even smoking cigarettes at work harkens back to the stone age.
Old 09-24-10, 06:25 AM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nthach
Well, Obama loved his cocaine back in his college days. I'd bet he was one hell of a beer pong player too...
Lets not turn this into an Obama thread
Old 09-24-10, 07:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I'm not surprised. I actually know of gas/electric union utility workers that do the same, substance abusers (and none of the substances are good). Bad situation regardless.
GAS workers? The possibility of electrical malfunctions/power outages is bad enough, but incompetent gas workers, of course, can cause an explosion. In fact, I think there was a major gas explosion just recently, in your state, that took out several neighborhoods.

Back to the auto assembly line problems, I suspect (but can't prove) that some of that drinking/alcoholism by the workers is simply stress from the bad economy, Chrysler's recovering from bankrupcy, and the constant possibility of losing one's job, even as a union member.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-24-10 at 07:52 AM.
Old 09-24-10, 08:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well we can't say US made. I mean look at all the cars made in the USA that are not Ameican brands. Please help me with the list
You can add the Mazdas built at Flat Rock, MI and the BMW Z roadsters built at Spartanburg, SC.
Old 09-24-10, 08:13 AM
LexFather

Has the full story come out? For all we know it could be their last day at work. Maybe they were about to quit? Maybe something stressful happened.

I mean its not like Chrysler products are the paradigm of quality and fit and finish. Did people really think a bunch of the best people were putting these cars together? Really?

Not sure why this is surprising, I've seen it at many levels. No its not the norm but its not as abnormal as some sheltered think.

Quick Reply: Chrysler Workers Drinking and Getting High at Lunch