Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Condensed Review: 2011 Mazda2

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-10, 04:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Condensed Review: 2011 Mazda2

A Condensed-Review of the 2011 Mazda2

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/disp...ehicleCode=MZ2

In a Nutshell: Well-built with good materials, but gas mileage is rather unimpressive for its low power.

I hadn't planned on reviewing this car (I didn't have any review-requests for it), but I happened to notice that they are starting to arrive at local D.C.-area Mazda dealerships. I had recently read some Madza2 comparisons in auto-magazines, and I figured it would give the new Ford Fiesta some competition, along with the existing Toyota Yaris, Honda Fit, Hyundai Accent, Kia Rio, Scion xD, Chevrolet Aveo, Nissan Versa, and the new upcoming subcompacts from Chevrolet (Spark), Toyota, and Suzuki. So, I stopped in and had a look and a test-drive. I decided to go ahead and do a condensed write-up, but not necessarily a full-review....but I did get a long enough test-drive for a good evaluation. I also had some measure of personal curiosity, since I had owned a few small Mazdas in the mid-80s to early-90s.

The subcompact Mazda2, of course, slips in under the compact Mazda3, a good-seller, with a good reputation, that has also had some turbo MazdaSpeed3 models. Overseas, the Mazda2 (which has been on the market for awhile) is called the Demio, and 3-door hatchback models are offered. For now, in the U.S., only a single 5-door hatchback body style will be offered, in Sport and Touring versions. Both versions get the same engine...a 1.5L, 100 HP DOHC four with 98 ft-lbs. of torque, and the choice of a 5-speed manual or 4-speed automatic. No sedan, turbo, or 2-door versions are (yet) available here. Mazda, up to now, has never sold a car this small in the American market before.....so this will break new ground. Of course, with the upcoming CAFE mileage rules about to kick in after a few more years, we can expect to see more and more cars like this in America...though EPA gas mileage in the Mazda2 is not as high as I expected (more on that later).

This is about as mechanically-simple a car as you can get nowadays in the American market. The rear suspension is a cross-beam with coil springs, brakes are rear-drums in both Sport and Touring versions, wheels/tires are small and inexpensive, and the interior, while trimmed well for a car of this class, has simple, no-nonsense controls (Yes.....just the way I like them), and lacks a lot of frills. The base version, of course, has stamped-steel wheels and silver-plastic wheel covers (which, I might add, are much better-done than those on the base Hyundais and Kias). The interior, though, while not luxury-grade by any means, still includes many of the standard convienences most Americans are now used to....power windows/doors/mirrors, air-conditioning, stereo/CD player, numerous cupholders, and an (accessory), dealer-ordered, portable Garmin GPS/NAV unit. And the interior, for the most part, uses decent materials, too.......more on that later.

All of the Mazda2 models, IMO, are relative price-bargains. The base 5-speed model starts at some $13,980, almost as low as Hyundai Accent/ Kia Rio prices. My automatic model, with freight, listed for only $15,530. Even the Touring models with automatic that I saw today only listed in the 16-17K range....substantially lower than the top Ford Fiesta models. So, you can be assured that this car is not going to break your bank account. For the review, I chose a silver/gray base (Sport) Automatic model, figuring that, at least, in this heavy-traffic area, a majority of them (and Touring models) would be sold that way. But, after sampling it, the engine's low power level may make it more suited for the 5-speed manual, particularly if you live and drive in light-traffic conditions. This, of course, is not just an issue with the Mazda2, but with a number of low-power subcompacts as well.

So, how did it check out? Details coming up.

Model Reviewed: 2011 Mazda2 Sport Automatic

Base Price: $14,780

Options:

None

Destination/Freight: $750

List Price as reviewed: $15,530

Drivetrain: FWD, transversely-mounted 1.5L DOHC in-line 4, 100 HP @ 6000 RPM, Torque, 98 ft-lbs @ 4000 RPM,
4-speed automatic transmission.

Towing Capacity: N/A

EPA Mileage Rating: 25 City / 33 Highway

Exterior Color: Liquid Silver Metallic

Interior: Black Cloth

PLUSSES:

Bargain-priced, even for the Touring Model.

Unproven, but (likely) good reliability.

Superb, firm-feel, BMW-like steering.

Good agility and manuverability.

Fairly quick steering response.

Generally flat cornering.

Fairly good wind noise control for a subcompact.

(Mostly) good interior-trim materials for the price.

Excellent paint job.

Fairly solid sheetmetal for a subcompact.

Some nice bright paint colors, with (apparently) no model/paint restrictions.

Good underhood layout.

Well-finished cargo area for the price.

Simple, no-nonsense *****/buttons/controls.

Clear, easy-to-read primary gauges.

Good front-seat legroom/headroom.

Durable, all-metal ignition key/fob/housing.

Leather-wrapped steering wheel in Touring version.

Fairly good rear-vision.

Fairly wide range of dealer/factory accessories, including a portable GPS/NAV.

MINUSES:

No coolant-temperature gauge on the dash (That's a big no-no in my book).

Small, silly, roll-up, accordion-like (and warped) sales-brochure in a clear-plastic cylinder with pop- off-lid.

No manual sport-shift feature for the automatic transmission.

Low-powered engine lacks torque.

4-speed automatic blunts some acceleration and gas mileage (though the manual transmission is not that much more).

Automatic transmission shifts not harsh but not particularly smooth.

automatic-transmission shift lever blocks some *****/controls when in PARK.

Adequate brakes, but could be better.

Somewhat jittery (but not harsh) ride.

Front fenders not visible from drivers' seat when parking.

Drum rear brakes on both Sport and Touring verisons.

Some road noise from the tires.

Fairly tight rear seat for adults.

OK but rather mediocre stereo sound-quality.

No body-side mouldings for parking-lot protection.

Only 6 exterior colors offered.

$200 extra charge for White Pearl Paint.

EXTERIOR:

The exterior, as you first walk up to it, is about what you would expect from a small Mazda hatchback. It has a small upper-grille, a big silver-seagull Mazda logo, moderate-sweep headlights, a big smiley-circus-clown lower-grille like on ther brother Mazda3, an up-swept beltline, a fairly high, conservative roofline/rear window, and taillights also reminescent of the Mazda3 hatchback. There is no body-side moulding to ward off parking-lot nicks. I've already described the small wheels/tires. The sheet metal is solid and well-done for a subcompact, and so is the paint job....even the black ones showed little if any orange peel. Though only 6 paint colors are offered (with an annoying extra $200 for the White Pearl)...there are three very bright, eye-opening colors.....Aquatic Blue, True Red, and Spirited Green metallic (I especially liked the Green, its feature-color in ads). All of the exterior hardware, including the mirror-housings, was solid-feeling and well-done.

UNDERHOOD:

Nicely done...and not too crowded. The hood opens up with a manual prop-rod (I forgot to check for the underhood insulation-pad). Ordinarily I complain about a prop-rod, but not on a car this inexpensive...that can be forgiven. The in-line, 1.5L, transversely-mounted four fits in nicely, despite the small size of the underhood compartment. There is at least some room to reach things all around the block, and all of the dipsticks/reservoirs/filler-caps are likewise handy. The battery is mounted to the right of the engine (and uncovered), but it had star-shaped caps on it, and I couldn't tell if it was an old-fashioned manual-water-fill or maintenence-free battery (I tried unscrewing/unprying the caps, but they wouldn't budge). Most cars nowadays, of course, have the maintenence-free type, but it is not universal.

INTERIOR:

A nice job, considering the class and low-price of the car. I was far more impressed with this interior than I was with that of the competing Ford Fiesta, which I reviewed sevaral weeks ago. The dash had clear, easily-read gauges. The silver-plastic trim did not look or feel cheap (it often does). Though the door panels were mostly hard-plastic, there were nice fabric-inserts. The front seats were fairly comfortable, and had a durable-feeling black cloth (the only color available, though Touring models have nice red seat-striping). The controls, *****, buttons, and stalks are all solid, simple, well-attached, and easy to use (again, just the way I like it). The stereo-sound quality is not the best I've heard (certainly a long way from Lexus), but not out of place in a car of this class. Touring models have a nice leather-covered steering wheel, despite the low price. Headroom/legroom is OK up front for people my size, but the rear, despite the relatively high roofline, is best left for children or small adults (you probably wouldn't want 4 big adults in this low-power car anyway.....it would probably be overloaded). The center-console has no flip-up cover, but does have several mold-injected cupholers, cubby-holes, and compartments. The sun visors have a cheap look/feel, but that, IMO, is not a complaint at the low price....and they do have vanity mirrors. All of ther interior hardware/trim materials felt solid and well-attached. The only thing I really disliked inside (and this is a big one) are the blue and red idiot-lights for the engine temperature.....that's a non-no in my book, as I feel that all cars, regardless of cost, should have a gauge. I also disliked the way that the automatic transmission shifter-****, jutting up from an outcrop of the lower-dash, for some larger hands such as mine, blocks some of the climate-control ***** when in the PARK positon...but that was a minor issue. Vision out the back, due to the rather conservative roof-styling and D-pillars, was good.

CARGO AREA/TRUNK:

Well-done...another one of the car's better-features. The solid-feeling hatch-lid (for a Japanese subcompact) opens up to a well-trimmed cargo area (by subcompact standards) A decent grade of black carpet-fabric lines the floor. The cargo area itself is not huge, but is helped somewhat by the conservative, rather high roofline and rear-window. A cord-attached, fabric-covered lid opens up and closes with the hatch-lid, hiding the cargo contents from prying eyes. Under the trunk floor is, as expected, a small temporary spare tire.....again, given the low price, no complaints (but I'd still rather see a real spare). The split-rear seasts, of course, both drop down for added cargo space.

ON THE ROAD:

Start up the small 1.5L four with a conventional column-mounted ignition switch and a key-fob....the key/fob is much like the ones in VW products, with a durable, solid-metal fob housing (instead of the more-common plastic) and a chrome push-button that folds the key itself up when not in use. You don't expect to see that in many 15K cars. Anyway, the four starts up fairly smoothly and quietly (you don't expect it to idle/run like a Lexus V8). But, once under way, the Munchkin 98 ft-lbs. of torque means you give yourself plenty of room accelerating in and out of traffic. Part of this sluggishness may (?) be the 4-speed automatic...more on that in a minute. But still, it didn't seem any more sluggish than a number of entry-level subcompact automatics I've driven lately....you just don't (generally) get a lot of power in this class of car. And the engine was fairly quiet, and not particularly noisy for a small 4-cylinder.

The 4-speed automatic was a disappointment in several areas. Though some competing cars also give you 4-speed automatics (the 6-speed Fiesta is an exception), this one seemed to blunt the engine's performance even more than usual...cerainly not in line with Mazda's gimmicky "Zoom-Zoom" ads. The wide ratios lacked some flexibility, and shifts, though, not harsh by any means, were not particularly smooth, especially when the transmission was cold. Some of this is not surprising....Mazda has never been known for particularly refined automatics (that was also the case with the ones I myself owned). But, though I did not check-test a 5-speed manual (none were available today), I might recommend it for areas where traffic is not extremely heavy or you absolutely need an automatic for other reasons.

The chassis, in typical Mazda fashion, was well-done....despite the simple rear beam-axle. The steering was simply superb.....well-weighted, fairly heavy-feeling, and with a good dose of road feel despite the steering-pump. Many of the power-steering units I drive are, IMO, over-boosted and lacking in feel...not this one. It's probably as close to a FWD BMW power-steering unit as you are going to find....Mazda used to be called the "Poor-Man's BMW", and this is probably, even at the low price, one of the best Mazda steering units I've seen....even with the RX-8. Steering response, of course, was not as quick as the RX-8, but still fairly quick, and cornering was flat, without much body roll. Ride comfort was about what you would expect from a small, light, short-wheelbase subcompact.....a little jittery, but not harsh. Wind-noise control was well-done, but some road noise from the tires came into the cabin (the small wheel-wells and open-rear cago area don't give much road-noise insulation). Brakes, from the front disc/rear drum setup, were OK but nothing to write home about......some very low-line, entry-level cars may still use rear-drums, but I'm not convinced that rear-discs would add anything to production costs....there's nothing any cheaper about using drums instead. There wasn't very much sponginess in the pedal, though, and response was adequate. The brake pedal itself was located fairly well for my big size-15 clown-shoes...I had only minor problems with my foot hanging up on the pedal when going from gas to brake.

THE VERDICT:

The superb chassis and power-steering of this car is every bit a Mazda, although the wimpish torque level from the engine, in some driving conditions, is probably better-suited to the 5-speed manual transmission. The manual also gives 2 MPG-better EPA gas-mileage figures (27/35 vs. 25/33) than the automatic (unusual with many of today's automatics, which, unlike the past, often give better acceleration and efficiency than the manuals). Even with the manual, though, I expected a few more MPG's.....though this car can hardly be considered a gas hog. It also needs a real temperature-gauge instead of those silly idiot-lights.....a burned-out bulb can have serious consequences. I'm not just blaming Mazda here....some other vehicles also omit a gauge. But, outside of that, by entry-level subcomact standards, there is little to complain about in this car. It's interior is well-done, its cargo-area is done and trimmed well, the underhood layout is nice, and the paint job is well-done. It has a truly bargain price. IMO, it competes well against the other subcompacts in the field.......time will tell, of course, about the other new ones soon-coming, but not-yet introduced.

And, as always, of course............Happy Car Shopping.

MM

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-11-10 at 04:06 PM.
Old 09-11-10, 05:25 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice review. By the pictures, it seems that the car has a pretty decent, quality looking interior.
Old 09-11-10, 05:40 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Great review!

I dunno why someone would buy this over say... a Ford Fiesta.
Old 09-11-10, 05:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ecr527
Nice review.
Thanks.

By the pictures, it seems that the car has a pretty decent, quality looking interior.
It does. Interior looks, material quality, and ease-of-control-use are all first-rate. The only real squawk inside (if you don't try and stuff large adults in the rear seat) is the coolant-temperature idiot light instead of a gauge. Everything else, inside, is either average or better-than-average for an entry-level subcompact.
Old 09-11-10, 06:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MrMut
Great review!
Thanks.

I dunno why someone would buy this over say... a Ford Fiesta.
I can think of several reasons, right off the bat. First, IMO, the interior materials beat the Fiesta's by a mile. Second, the car feels more solidly screwed-together when you drive it or close doors, hood, hatch, etc..... Third, although both cars are new to the American market and (as yet) have an unproven track record here, small Mazdas, in general, have had a better reliability record here in America than small Fords (which have varied quite a bit by year/model). So, all else equal, the Mazda2 is (probably) a slightly less reliability risk. Fourth, the Mazda's steering-feel, by subcompact-standards, is pure joy....a mini-BMW. Fifth, the Fiesta is such a hot issue in the auto press/media these days, and has so much hype, that getting a significant discount on one will be difficult, if not impossible (I'll bet some people are even paying mark-ups). The Mazda2, on the other hand, will probably have more moderate supply/demand, and so there will be more incentive for salespeople to discount a little, though entry-level cars like this typically have little room between wholesale/invoice and retail for bargaining room.

The Fiesta, however, does have a few advantages. Its drivetrains, though still low on power like the Mazda's, are more efficient, both with manual and automatic transmissons (the Mazda2 has a 4-speed automatic, the Fiesta a 6-speed). EPA mileage is several MPG better. The Ford dealer network is more widespread than Madza's...Ford's network, of course, being one of the most dense in the country. And the Fiesta, unlike the Mazda2, offers the choice of 4-door sedan or hatchback...the Mazda, only a 5-door hatchback.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-11-10 at 06:14 PM.
Old 09-12-10, 04:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Next planned reviews: 2011 Ford Explorer, 2012 Ford Focus, 2011 Lexus IS350AWD, 2011 Hyundai Equus. I (may) do some others in the meantime...these vehicles are not yet available.
Old 09-12-10, 09:22 AM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Don't understand why it only comes with a 4-speed in automatic form. Seems going to a 5 or 6-speed would not only mitigate the availability of power complaint but help out the gas mileage, too.
Old 09-12-10, 12:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by gengar
Don't understand why it only comes with a 4-speed in automatic form. Seems going to a 5 or 6-speed would not only mitigate the availability of power complaint but help out the gas mileage, too.
Most likely for cost-control reasons. In many cases, it is cheaper to produce a 4-speed automatic than a 5 or 6-speed. Also,depending on the design of the transmission itself, a 4-speed may have a smaller, more-compact case that is easier to fit into the small underhood compartments of subcompact cars. Of course, cost and size alone are not always the issues, as the new Ford Fiesta shows.......includes a 6-speed automatic, in a car that costs roughly (or a little more) than the Mazda2 does.

A number of entry-level vehicles, and in a few cases, even some more-expensive ones, still use a 4-speed automatic. In fact, the Dodge Neon, up to a few years ago when it was discontinued, still used a 3-speed.
Old 09-12-10, 06:07 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

both Mazda2 and Fiesta are disappointing in interior, very little flexibility and less space at the back compared to Yaris and Jazz.

They do look cute and get nice discounts in Europe, so they sell well, but for me, that would be major detractor.
Old 09-12-10, 06:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
both Mazda2 and Fiesta are disappointing in interior, very little flexibility and less space at the back compared to Yaris and Jazz.
What did you mean by "flexibility"? Both rear seats, of course, fold down in both cars for added space. I agree that the Fiesta's interior is a little disappointing, quality-wise, but I found the Mazda2's better-crafted inside, with higher-quality materials. The rear seat headroom/legroom in both cars is tight for large adults, but that's the case with most subcompacts. The Fiesta hatchback's interior, as with most hatchbacks, is perhaps a little more versatile than the Fiesta sedan's.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-12-10 at 06:57 PM.
Old 09-12-10, 07:09 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Is this car not related to the Fiesta at all? Mazda is owned by Ford, and these two models look damn similar.
Old 09-12-10, 07:35 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gengar
One word, CHEAP.

Yes, gas mileage, performance, driveability and smoothness could be enhanced by a better transmission like the ones you mentioned.
Old 09-12-10, 07:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Is this car not related to the Fiesta at all? Mazda is owned by Ford, and these two models look damn similar.
No. Despite the more-or-less similar exterior size, they are totally different cars in engine, transmission, body styling, model choice, and interior.
Old 09-12-10, 07:43 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
What did you mean by "flexibility"? Both rear seats, of course, fold down in both cars for added space. I agree that the Fiesta's interior is a little disappointing, quality-wise, but I found the Mazda2's better-crafted inside, with higher-quality materials. The rear seat headroom/legroom in both cars is tight for large adults, but that's the case with most subcompacts. The Fiesta hatchback's interior, as with most hatchbacks, is perhaps a little more versatile than the Fiesta sedan's.
with japanese small cars, you can move rear seats and flat fold them as well... in this aspect, ford/mazda are designed as if it is 80's. they also have less usable space at the back, if you compare them directly... but once again, they sell well in europe because they look good.
Old 09-12-10, 07:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
One word, CHEAP.

Yes, gas mileage, performance, driveability and smoothness could be enhanced by a better transmission like the ones you mentioned.
The Fiesta had a 6-speed, twin-clutch automated-manual gearbox (two more gears than the Mazda2's 4-speed). And, while yes, it was more efficient and gave better MPG by about 3 or 4 MPG, it's smoothness, from low-speed surging, didn't impress me, and the acceleration, especially starting up and at low RPM, didn't feel much different from the Mazda2's.

I do agree with you, though, that cost-control is a factor with 4-speed automatics (and sometimes underhood space for the gearbox itself) compared to those transmissions with more gears.

Quick Reply: Condensed Review: 2011 Mazda2