Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Woman gets Kia Soul after passing drive test on 960th try

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-10, 11:05 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Woman gets Kia Soul after passing drive test on 960th try

Woman gets Kia Soul after passing drive test on 960th try

We like to think of ourselves as pretty determined folk here the United States. After all, our forebearers forged our country out of a wild and unsettling terrain, fought off tyrants, cooked up some of the most amazing inventions of the last century and helped populate a symbol of diversity and freedom renowned the world over. That doesn't mean that we'd willingly subject ourselves to the DMV 960 times, however. Yet that's exactly what a Korean woman, Cha Sa-soon, did on her quest to obtain her driver's license. Despite copious studying, the 69-year-old Cha just couldn't manage to get past the written portion of the exam.

In April 2005, she began taking the 50-minute, 40-question test once a day, five days week, failing each time. Eventually her pace slowed to taking the test twice a week, but on the 960th try, she managed to get enough of the questions right to pass.

Local news outlets ran with the story, and it wasn't long before the tale caught the ear of Hyundai-Kia. The company asked people to post congratulatory messages online, and after an overwhelming response, Kia handed her the keys to a brand-new Soul.

We like her style.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/08/w...-on-960th-try/
Old 09-08-10, 11:07 AM
LexFather

She should not be driving it if takes 960 times to pass. There should be a limit about how many times you can take the test.

Horrible. Maybe she IS a hamster? Pics anyone?

Old 09-08-10, 11:14 AM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

960 times! That's gotta be a misprint. What's even harder to believe is that she was allowed to take the test that many times, and furthermore that she was given a license. Maybe she should have spent some time studying instead of taking the test over and over again every day.

Per Google search of her name,

Old 09-08-10, 11:20 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

I just want to know what State she is in so I can avoid it with all cost
Old 09-08-10, 11:23 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

my goodness, chances are she passed coz' of a lucky draw...

and i just read the news more carefully... the 960 tests, they were ALL on written test??!?!?!
Old 09-08-10, 11:40 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Quitters never win. I guess...
Old 09-08-10, 11:47 AM
JakeBreyck
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

has she totaled the kia yet?
Old 09-08-10, 12:50 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perhaps there was a language barrier that made it hard for her to pass the written portion? It sounds like she passed the road portion of the test.

The state of MA makes you pass the written portion before you're even allowed to take the road portion. The written exam costs $30 each time.
Old 09-08-10, 12:52 PM
CAK 500
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

No worries for most of us. She lives in South Korea.

I can't help but think that this is an example of the infinite monkey theorem ... "If you give an infinite number of typewriters to an infinite number of monkeys, one of them is bound to reproduce Hamlet."
Old 09-08-10, 12:54 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

All I can say is: Danger, danger, danger.
Old 09-08-10, 01:24 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

This post is just so funny I laughed all the way from the responses. It probably wouldn't take 960 times for my 3 year old nephew to pass the written test.
Old 09-08-10, 01:28 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

The hamsters that I saw driving in the TV commercial seemed quite proficient as drivers, btw....

A bus pass would have been more appropriate in this case.
Old 09-08-10, 02:09 PM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

Just wanted to point out that passing the driver's test in Korea is ridiculously hard compared to a US driver's license exam. When I went for my license, I skimmed through the manual, got my permit on the first try, drove for six months with one of my parents and got my driver's license on the first try. No problem.

In S.Korea, you literally have to study the driver's license exam manual. They ask some weird scenario problems. There are, of course, easy questions as well. But unlike the US exam (I'm comparing to my PA license experience), passing the written portion is very difficult. The written exam itself can take up to an hour. My permit test took me less than 5 minutes.

The practical portion of the exam is done on a course in a large pickup with manual gearbox (automatic is NOT an option). They test you on uphill/downhill, maintaining speed, maneuvering very tight turns, and the parallel parking portion is difficult as well. They need to have the vehicle parked in the parallel spot, no more than 6 inches from the curb, with no more than 3 reverses.

All in all, getting a driver's license in S. Korea is FAR harder than getting one here.

But damn.... 960?
Old 09-08-10, 02:45 PM
Koma

Originally Posted by tofu_house
Just wanted to point out that passing the driver's test in Korea is ridiculously hard compared to a US driver's license exam. When I went for my license, I skimmed through the manual, got my permit on the first try, drove for six months with one of my parents and got my driver's license on the first try. No problem.

In S.Korea, you literally have to study the driver's license exam manual. They ask some weird scenario problems. There are, of course, easy questions as well. But unlike the US exam (I'm comparing to my PA license experience), passing the written portion is very difficult. The written exam itself can take up to an hour. My permit test took me less than 5 minutes.

The practical portion of the exam is done on a course in a large pickup with manual gearbox (automatic is NOT an option). They test you on uphill/downhill, maintaining speed, maneuvering very tight turns, and the parallel parking portion is difficult as well. They need to have the vehicle parked in the parallel spot, no more than 6 inches from the curb, with no more than 3 reverses.

All in all, getting a driver's license in S. Korea is FAR harder than getting one here.

But damn.... 960?
I wish they would make it harder for people to get licenses here. Less people on roads getting into accidents, less traffic, insurance and gas prices might drop too.
Old 09-08-10, 03:11 PM
TougeSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Everyone has already posted their comments on how she shouldn't be driving. But I do give Kudos to Hyundai-Kia for making a generous contribution. Probably because they knew she spent all of her money on the test and felt bad for her. Since she finally has a license I guess she needs something to drive.

Quick Reply: Woman gets Kia Soul after passing drive test on 960th try