Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

First Drive: 2011 Hyundai Equus

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-10, 11:34 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by madoka
[youtube]BTlC5JeJnno[/youtube]
What relevance does this have to the Equus, or this thread?

As for the review at hand, I think the Equus is shaping up to be much of what I expected and I predict that Hyundai will not have much trouble finding a home for 2-3K units a year.

At face value, lets face it - the car offers a ton of bang for your buck and I think they are doing a good job of working around the "Hyundai dealership" problem. The Equus offers 7/10 of what an S Class, 7, or LS provide and I think most consumers who buy this car will see it as an astounding value, which it is. To most people in the car-buying public, the Equus delivers on the formula of a luxury car because it does a good job of satisfying the obvious requirements: it's flashy looking, has plenty of chrome, a nice interior, leather and wood everywhere, and features that mimic those of the gold-standards in this class. The only thing it's lacking is the respected badge, right?

Well...no. To those currently owning LS and S class, that remaining 30% is what makes or breaks the purchase...the details- things like an 8AT, or buttons that don't feel cheap, and a dashboard that doesn't feel like brittle plastic covered in a thin sheet of leather. To people who are familiar with these types of cars and already have experiences and expectations to draw upon, the Equus will not succeed but at the same time I don't think Hyundai is directly challenging them. To most of the car-buying public, it doesn't matter if the car has a 4AT or a 12AT - the transmission works, and so do the buttons, and the dashboard looks fancy too. These people are Equus buyers. I really do not see them pulling many current S Class, 7 Series or LS owners because those people are used to and look for that remaining 3/10 in a car and they're certainly willing to pay for it.

No doubt that Hyundai is about to roll out an aggressive marketing campaign targeting the big boys, but to the people who already own those cars, the Equus isn't on their radar anyway, and I'd venture to say that Hyundai isn't expecting to get many of them in the showroom anyway. There is a void in the market for a $50-$60K full size, "face-value-luxury" sedan like the Equus and because of that I think the car will succeed. Those truly comparing it to the LS, S, or 7 (IMO) don't have a full grasp of what those cars are truly about.
Old 09-07-10, 11:37 AM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
that front camera is hideous and at the end of the day, you pay for what you get.

Like the Genesis, it looks great on paper, but not so when you see it beneath the "luxury" touches. And also with the Genesis, for some reason, even though the engine output may look good on paper, it doesnt translate to an equally impressive 0-60 time.

but you got to give to to hyundai. Its a lot of value. I would like to speak to mr toyoda about why the RX doesnt get double stitched seats.
B/c mr toyoda knows you will buy the RX anyway...lol, there is crazy demand / loyalty for the RXs
Old 09-07-10, 11:43 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i don't care if dealers give full body massages to customers, i'd guess 99% of people HATE going to a car dealer, EVER, or even if it's 'nice' they can think of a billion places they'd rather be, like their dentist or proctologist.

the idea of cutting out the need to go to the dealer at all is GENIUS.
the fact that hyundai has had time to work out some kinks in their home market first is a win for u.s. customers.
Luxury brands are different though. Especially with high end items such as cars. There is a difference when you buy a Louis Vuitton bag at the store, versus a fake one in an alleyway. A lot of luxury brand owners WANT the service. I won't go to a fine dining restaurant to pay for a $30 burger if the service sucks...

Part of the appeal is the attention to service and detail. Jaguar does this the best; Lexus is still far from perfect; Hyundai is far far away but on its way.

People hate going to the car dealer to haggle/buy/spend; that's a fact. But if your car does NEED service, that's when service needs to be spectacular. Lexus service is exemplary. I sorta enjoyed the times when I went because my service techs catered to my needs, whether I needed a snack or a substitute ride.

So, luxury is not just the product. It's the experience.
Old 09-07-10, 11:48 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
What relevance does this have to the Equus, or this thread?

As for the review at hand, I think the Equus is shaping up to be much of what I expected and I predict that Hyundai will not have much trouble finding a home for 2-3K units a year.

At face value, lets face it - the car offers a ton of bang for your buck and I think they are doing a good job of working around the "Hyundai dealership" problem. The Equus offers 7/10 of what an S Class, 7, or LS provide and I think most consumers who buy this car will see it as an astounding value, which it is. To most people in the car-buying public, the Equus delivers on the formula of a luxury car because it does a good job of satisfying the obvious requirements: it's flashy looking, has plenty of chrome, a nice interior, leather and wood everywhere, and features that mimic those of the gold-standards in this class. The only thing it's lacking is the respected badge, right?

Well...no. To those currently owning LS and S class, that remaining 30% is what makes or breaks the purchase...the details- things like an 8AT, or buttons that don't feel cheap, and a dashboard that doesn't feel like brittle plastic covered in a thin sheet of leather. To people who are familiar with these types of cars and already have experiences and expectations to draw upon, the Equus will not succeed but at the same time I don't think Hyundai is directly challenging them. To most of the car-buying public, it doesn't matter if the car has a 4AT or a 12AT - the transmission works, and so do the buttons, and the dashboard looks fancy too. These people are Equus buyers. I really do not see them pulling many current S Class, 7 Series or LS owners because those people are used to and look for that remaining 3/10 in a car and they're certainly willing to pay for it.

No doubt that Hyundai is about to roll out an aggressive marketing campaign targeting the big boys, but to the people who already own those cars, the Equus isn't on their radar anyway, and I'd venture to say that Hyundai isn't expecting to get many of them in the showroom anyway. There is a void in the market for a $50-$60K full size, "face-value-luxury" sedan like the Equus and because of that I think the car will succeed. Those truly comparing it to the LS, S, or 7 (IMO) don't have a full grasp of what those cars are truly about.
Couldn't have put it any better myself.
Old 09-07-10, 12:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Thanks, Hoovey2411. This is such a good write-up that I can (probably) now safely take the Equus off my review-list. There isn't a whole lot I could personally add that isn't already covered here.....and, of course, the way it's being marketed, finding one for review could be quite difficult.

Originally Posted by baddis es
I do disagree with people saying that the Equus poses no threat.
I do, too. Hyundai is simply too great a force in today's auto market for any of their products to be written off as irrelevant. Of course, with the Equus, it's (apparantly) not going to be marketed through conventional dealerships. That's something that Hyundai has never tried before, so the results, right now, may be unpredictable. Daewoo, years ago, tried an unconventional U.S.-marketing system to college students on college-campuses instead of cobnentional dealership...and results were not good at all. Of course, Daewoo did not have the name-recognition and market-share that Hyundai now enjoys.
Old 09-07-10, 01:02 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
(1) I would think the Genesis buyers are Camry/Accord family sedan buyers, not luxury buyers, who have splurged and gone up about $10K and tightened their belts to get the best "family sedan" for the money.
Respectfully disagree. The Genesis Targets the GS, BMW 5 Series etc. - I owned 2 GS's - They got me and I'm Loving my Genesis!
Old 09-07-10, 01:52 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts

most of the people who drive Lexus LS460's are retired or about to retire. At that point in your life the value becomes everything. I think Hyundai will sell a lot more of these new cars than most CL members would think
Old 09-07-10, 02:05 PM
Fulorian
Driver School Candidate

Uh, not sure if you noticed, but the Equus is getting an 8AT. You might want to move that out of your 30% and into the 70%.

Or just call it 95%/5% and be right on the money.
Old 09-07-10, 02:10 PM
madoka
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
People hate going to the car dealer to haggle/buy/spend; that's a fact. But if your car does NEED service, that's when service needs to be spectacular. Lexus service is exemplary. I sorta enjoyed the times when I went because my service techs catered to my needs, whether I needed a snack or a substitute ride.

So, luxury is not just the product. It's the experience.
I recently did oil changes on my Lexus ($225), Mercedes ($250) and Porsche ($300). I see them treating me no better than my local Nissan ($15) dealership. Each offered free bottles of water, shuttle service, newspapers, snacks and a TV in the reception area. If anything, Nissan had the best snacks (fresh baked cookies) and was the fastest (under 1 hour); my time is valuable to me.
Old 09-07-10, 02:13 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I recently did oil changes on my Lexus ($225), Mercedes ($250) and Porsche ($300). I see them treating me no better than my local Nissan ($15) dealership. Each offered free bottles of water, shuttle service, newspapers, snacks and a TV in the reception area. If anything, Nissan had the best snacks (fresh baked cookies) and was the fastest (under 1 hour); my time is valuable to me.
$225 for an oil change?
Haven't had a change done on the '10 RX with synthetic but my '09 RX 350's oil change cost was $62 with tax with 27 pt check and car wash.

Last edited by Joeb427; 09-07-10 at 02:19 PM.
Old 09-07-10, 02:26 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

You, sir, need to find a new dealership. I have never seen an oil change go remotely close to $225 on a Lexus, no matter the grade of oil or the car it's going into.

Can you post the RO (maybe in a seperate thread)?
Old 09-07-10, 02:28 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fulorian
Uh, not sure if you noticed, but the Equus is getting an 8AT. You might want to move that out of your 30% and into the 70%.

Or just call it 95%/5% and be right on the money.
Actually, I did not notice that, probably because both the review and HyundaiUSA.com note the Equus as having a 6AT
Old 09-07-10, 02:28 PM
madoka
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Joeb427
$225 for an oil change?
Haven't had a change done on the '10 RX with synthetic but my '09 RX 350's oil change cost was $62 with tax with 27 pt check and car wash.
http://i35.tinypic.com/m7t9fo.jpg

And I end up bringing 10 quarts of my own oil (Mobile 1).
Old 09-07-10, 02:53 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

http://i35.tinypic.com/m7t9fo.jpg

And I end up bringing 10 quarts of my own oil (Mobile 1).
Here's my dealer cost none synthetic.
Check out the cabin filter service cost.
$70 for nitrogen tire fill.

http://www.tricountylexus.com/ViewSp...01219249302792
Old 09-07-10, 04:41 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,198 Likes on 1,428 Posts

this thread was closed but is now re-opened after being 'cleaned up'.

there will be NO TOLERANCE for 'cultural' jabs at Korea or anywhere else, whether you like or don't like the Equus.

comments about the vehicle, its impact in the marketplace, comparisons to other vehicles (without snide remarks) and whether or not hyundai will be successful are welcomed.

Quick Reply: First Drive: 2011 Hyundai Equus