Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Do you prefer the 2011 Dodge Durango or the 2011 Ford Explorer?
2011 Dodge Durango
15.15%
2011 Ford Explorer
54.55%
2011 GMC Acadia/Chevy Traverse (for the heck of it!!!)
0%
Undecided
0%
None
30.30%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: 2011 Ford Explorer vs. 2011 Dodge Durango - What's your pick?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-10, 09:29 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2 of my family members have 1st gen Explorers, one with 190K, the other with 145K, and both have original automatic transmissions. Both owners are satisfied with general reliability and cost of ownership, only one is an enthusiast that owns other vehicles.
Old 09-03-10, 09:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
It's just a poll (on preferences) to be taken in Sept 2010, before the actual release of the 2 new SUV's, not a a practical/buying decision, no kidding, lol.

I vote for the Explorer.
Based on its history, I would (probably) too.
Old 09-03-10, 09:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
2 of my family members have 1st gen Explorers, one with 190K, the other with 145K, and both have original automatic transmissions. Both owners are satisfied with general reliability and cost of ownership, only one is an enthusiast that owns other vehicles.
I've never heard of an Explorer, of any-generation, going through 4 transmissions either, like some Chrysler minvians did.
Old 09-03-10, 09:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Marshall this pic (below) is of a 06-10 explorer interior, unless you were trying to show the difference in generations
Yes, there may (?) have been a problem with a couple of those Google images being mismarked. I also posted a spy-shot of the new Durango interior...which took, at first, but then was censored for some reason.

Well, we'll see both of them soon enough for real. I plan to review a new 2011 Explorer, and will at least take a look at the new Dakota (Dodge may decide, in the meantime, not to name it the Dakota, but bring back the Magnum nameplate instead).

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-03-10 at 10:14 AM.
Old 09-03-10, 10:12 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
what year is this explorer of yours?

my '06 had one early tranny glitch that was taken care or right away. apart from that - nothing.
04 V6 2WD

[credulity alert] um, the brakes can ALWAYS overcome the accelerator, or just drop into neutral?
Of course, but when you're rounding a corner, the car starts accelerating and there is another car 5 feet in front of you, slamming on the brake and steering off the road simultaneously is about the only option.

FWIW, the accelerator pedal assembly had become "excessively worn" (as per Ford) and the pedal was unable to fully return to resting position, causing the unintended acceleration.
Old 09-03-10, 10:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Currently have an Explorer in the family and after 4 transmissions, stuck accelerator pedals, endless squeaks and squeals, and a number of shakes and rattles, we will NEVER own another, so I guess the Durango wins by default.
Rattles and squeaks, yes, but I've never heard of another Explorer eating up 4 transmissons like Chrysler/Dodge Minivans sometimes did. However, you are a credible poster , and I'll take your word for it... It was your vehicle, of course, and you obviously know what you yourself went through.
Old 09-03-10, 10:20 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

04 V6 2WD = 2nd gen.

Regardless, not good.

But thanks for the report, nothing beats the in-depth feedback from actual owners/family members (especially when those doing the reporting are experienced/knowledgeable enthusiasts).
Old 09-03-10, 10:33 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Rattles and squeaks, yes, but I've never heard of another Explorer eating up 4 transmissons like Chrysler/Dodge Minivans sometimes did. However, you are a credible poster , and I'll take your word for it... It was your vehicle, of course, and you obviously know what you yourself went through.
Thanks for the kind words from both of you. The first one went early last year @ 125,000 miles. The more recent two have been in the last 35,000 miles and the fourth was actually installed on Monday night as the tranny slipped uncontrollably and then completely died in traffic over the weekend.

IMO, 4 transmissions is absurd and I have never heard of anything like that either. At this point, in my mind, it points to a bigger problem if a car burns up 3 transmissions over about 40,000 miles. That is just crazy.

I think it's also worth saying that I certainly believe this is a random occurence and maybe even a lemon, and don't think less of Ford's recent strides because of our Explorer. By every other indication, they are at the top of the heap with quality but based on our experience, we will not purchase another Ford product. Simply personal opinions/experiences.
Old 09-03-10, 11:08 AM
RX300-BV
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MPLexus301,

That's a lot of bad luck with those transmissions. Curious who is doing the work, if that's a factor at all.

My personal experience is similar to IS-SV's family members. I had a '94 Explorer that still had the original transmission at 212,000 miles when I finally sold the car. For me the Explorer was rock solid and very reliable. My only real complaint was that the Explorer, being as heavy as it was, went through brakes pretty quickly.
Old 09-03-10, 11:15 AM
LexFather

Until I see the Durano interior I can't really decide. I know if I was going for these Ford would get my money not being bailed out, period. On the other hand my family's experience with Ford has been terrible as well (POS Taurus LX, SHO).

Just for the sake of the poll, I really like how the Durango looks in those pics. The Explorer looks good too but not as rugged. On the other hand the Explorer nameplate is much more successful than "Durango" which made 2 horrible vehicles previously.

Old 09-03-10, 01:25 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Currently have an Explorer in the family and after 4 transmissions, stuck accelerator pedals, endless squeaks and squeals, and a number of shakes and rattles, we will NEVER own another, so I guess the Durango wins by default.

EDIT: I voted None
I don't blame you for never going back to Ford after an experience like that no matter how much they are supposed to have improved, that is ridiculous going through that and they should have offered you your money back.

Unfortunately Chryslers/Dodges are known to be even more trouble prone then Fords plus their quality/design is among the worst in the industry.

I have not had good experiences with driving Expolorers either from gas gauges and other things that did not work to needing to constantly put oil in the engine. My friend had to get rid of his because it had so many issues.

I voted none as their are so many better models from Honda, Subaru, and Toyota to choose from but if I had to make a choice I would go with Ford since the cars are supposed to be much better and they did not take the bailout, I would never risk owning a Chrysler, too many horror stories.
Old 09-03-10, 07:44 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the sake of the poll, easy choice for me, the Explorer.

In reality though, I would never own either one.
Old 09-03-10, 08:16 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Of the two, I would pick the Explorer, however I think the Durango looks more bad a$$.

I can't see in that picture, but did Dodge finally get rid of that 1" gap between the rear bumper and the body? I never understood why they had that.
Old 09-04-10, 09:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks for the kind words from both of you. The first one went early last year @ 125,000 miles. The more recent two have been in the last 35,000 miles and the fourth was actually installed on Monday night as the tranny slipped uncontrollably and then completely died in traffic over the weekend.

IMO, 4 transmissions is absurd and I have never heard of anything like that either. At this point, in my mind, it points to a bigger problem if a car burns up 3 transmissions over about 40,000 miles. That is just crazy.

I think it's also worth saying that I certainly believe this is a random occurence and maybe even a lemon, and don't think less of Ford's recent strides because of our Explorer. By every other indication, they are at the top of the heap with quality but based on our experience, we will not purchase another Ford product. Simply personal opinions/experiences.
125K on the original transmission is not bad...I was under the impression that it was a lot sooner than that. 3 more, though (including the latest), in the next 35,000 miles is clearly unacceptable. A little speculation here (based on what often is fact) is that when the subsequent trannies were installed, they were done so without the quality, thoroughness, or precision done at the factory (seals, bolts, etc...may have not been tight enough, allowing fluid to slowly leak out). Some transmissions, of course, are sealed-for-life, with no fluid/filter changes.....I myself am not a fan of that practice....stretching tranny fluid beyond 30,000 miles is not, IMO, a good idea.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-04-10 at 06:36 PM.
Old 09-04-10, 09:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Until I see the Durano interior I can't really decide.
I posted a Google spy-shot of the Durango's dash/console, Mike (and it took at first), but then, the next day, it seemed like it was censored and blanked-out. In general, though (from what I saw of it) it seemed better-done than the last Dakota, but not quite as nice as the new Grand Cherokee, another new Chrysler product.

Quick Reply: Poll: 2011 Ford Explorer vs. 2011 Dodge Durango - What's your pick?