Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM mid sized sedans to only be offered with 4 cylinders

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-10, 04:24 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts
Default GM mid sized sedans to only be offered with 4 cylinders

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/08/31/r...blog+(Autoblog)

Straight from the "No Surprise" department comes word from GMInsideNews that all of General Motors mid-size offerings will come equipped with four-cylinder engines as the only available powerplant.

GM has made it clear for the last few years that a large part of its future product strategy is to downsize its engine line-up in preparation for the new 2015 CAFE standards. The shift has already begun with the introduction of the 2011 Buick Regal, available with either a 182-horsepower direct injected 2.4-liter or a turbocharged 2.0-liter putting out 220 hp and 258 pound-feet of torque.

The next model to go all-four-banger will be the next generation Chevrolet Malibu, slated to arrive late next year and likely packing – to begin with – the same 2.4-liter four. A range of direct injected engines, both naturally aspirated and turbocharged, are in the works, so the General won't be hurting for options, but expect the V6 to stick around for GM's larger offerings, including the next Impala.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This was to be expected considering looming CAFE regulations but it will be interesting to see if GM buyers warm up to only having 4 cylinders for mid sized sedans. GM 4 cylinders are not exactly known for being all that good and often get criticized for excessive noise, roughness, weak power, mediocre fuel economy, and poor reliability. I thought the Malibu was considered more full sized and unless they make the next one smaller and lighter, 4 cylinder only configurations may hurt it in comparisons/sales. We will see if Ford and Chrysler follow suit in only offering 4 cylinders in future mid sized cars.

As CAFE looms we will be seeing further downsizing in engine sizes/cylinder counts from other makes which may surprise many unaware buyers, it is already happening with some models. Where people are used to getting 6 cylinders now in many models, 4 cylinders will replace them and where people are used to 8 cylinders, they will be replaced with 6 cylinders, 10-12 cylinder engine options will most likely be replaced by 8 cylinders. Car companies will use turbo/supercharging and hybrids to try to make up for smaller engines lost power and to increase fuel economy but hopefully they will also heavily focus on weight reduction of future models to improve fuel economy.

Last edited by UDel; 08-31-10 at 05:07 PM.
Old 08-31-10, 04:34 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Thats what happens when the company is ran by the government.

These CAFE standards are idiotic and turbo charged 4 cyl engines are going to be less efficient than modern NA 6 cylinders.
Old 08-31-10, 04:59 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

yup, gm and others will have few options when the EPA 'gun' is at their heads.
Old 08-31-10, 05:05 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Thats what happens when the company is ran by the government.

These CAFE standards are idiotic and turbo charged 4 cyl engines are going to be less efficient than modern NA 6 cylinders.
Unfortunately it is not just the big government 3 that are going to have to adhere to these standard but all manufactures. It is one of the reasons Hyundai is only offering 4 cylinders in the new Sonata. BMW has announced 4 cylinders will eventually replace the inline 6s and the M3 will drop the v8 for a FI inline 6 like the S4 dropped the v8 for FI 6 cylinder. It is rumored the next gen Lexus GS line will not offer a v8 anymore other then a high performance F version which is going to be extremely expensive.
Old 08-31-10, 05:09 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by UDel
Unfortunately it is not just the big government 3 that are going to have to adhere to these standard but all manufactures. It is one of the reasons Hyundai is only offering 4 cylinders in the new Sonata. BMW has announced 4 cylinders will eventually replace the inline 6s and the M3 will drop the v8 for a FI inline 6 like the S4 dropped the v8 for FI 6 cylinder. It is rumored the next gen Lexus GS line will not offer a v8 anymore other then a high performance F version which is going to be extremely expensive.
Not only its going to be expensive, but not everybody wants the stiff ride and rubber band tires.
Old 08-31-10, 05:22 PM
LexJaq
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As long as the low-end torque is there (i.e. with turbos), shouldn't be a big deal that you're missing 2 cylinders. Well, GM's 4 cylinders are far from refined, so as long as they can make some improvements there.
Old 08-31-10, 05:28 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexJaq
As long as the low-end torque is there (i.e. with turbos), shouldn't be a big deal that you're missing 2 cylinders. Well, GM's 4 cylinders are far from refined, so as long as they can make some improvements there.
Its not just the matter of low end torque. Four cylinders are nowhere near as smooth, refined and balanced as six and especially eight cylinder engines.

Whenever I drive a car with four cylinders, the sound and feel of the engine just makes me cringe.
Old 08-31-10, 05:36 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

My H4 Subaru Outback is fine around town, so long as I wind it out and keep it spinning up in the torque curve. On the freeway, I leave plenty of room to come up to speed and just settle in and leave the cruise control set. When test driving Outbacks, I thought the H4 felt more spunky than the H6. I don't know what it was, but the 6 cylinder felt quite weak around town.

As far as GM's 4 cylinder sedan plans, I bought my LS because I wanted a V8 sedan before they become nearly extinct.
Old 08-31-10, 06:06 PM
LexFather

I think they should lead and not follow. Develop a fuel efficient V-6. Americans still like big engines.

I am not convinced turbos and S/Cs are the answer.

Unless GM knows something we don't. Imagine taxes on engine size like Europe, China....

Old 08-31-10, 06:17 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Och
Really?

2011 Hyundai Sonata Turbo: 22 city, 34 Hwy (272 HP)
2010 Hyundai Sonata V6: 19 city, 29 Hwy (249 HP)
2011 Chevy Malibu V6: 17 city, 26 Hwy (252 HP)

So I think that you mean turbo 4 cylinders will be more efficient than modern NA 6 cylinders.
Old 08-31-10, 06:32 PM
LexFather

^^ That is ratings. Real world with turbos can be much worse. Also how will long term reliability be with a turbo?

Old 08-31-10, 06:39 PM
LexJaq
Rookie

Originally Posted by Och
Its not just the matter of low end torque. Four cylinders are nowhere near as smooth, refined and balanced as six and especially eight cylinder engines.

Whenever I drive a car with four cylinders, the sound and feel of the engine just makes me cringe.
Not as smooth, but as evidenced by the larger Honda and Toyota 4 cylinder engines, they can still be quite smooth, quiet, and adequately isolated. Maybe GM should buy the Japanese powerplants for use in their own cars, rather than trying to take the rough edges off of their own 4 pot rock tumblers, though.
Old 08-31-10, 06:40 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A non sport oriented car the size of the Malibu or Regal packing 220hp and a healthy 258tq is plenty... especially if it comes at the benefit of better fuel economy.

I mean seriously... if the above cars can do 0-60 in, let's say, 6.8 seconds... does it really need to be any quicker?
Old 08-31-10, 06:42 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Really?

2011 Hyundai Sonata Turbo: 22 city, 34 Hwy (272 HP)
2010 Hyundai Sonata V6: 19 city, 29 Hwy (249 HP)
2011 Chevy Malibu V6: 17 city, 26 Hwy (252 HP)

So I think that you mean turbo 4 cylinders will be more efficient than modern NA 6 cylinders.
Like Mike said, these are just ratings. Real world driving is a whole other story.

Add reliability issues and added labor to do any repairs.
Old 08-31-10, 06:44 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexJaq
Not as smooth, but as evidenced by the larger Honda and Toyota 4 cylinder engines, they can still be quite smooth, quiet, and adequately isolated. Maybe GM should buy the Japanese powerplants for use in their own cars, rather than trying to take the rough edges off of their own 4 pot rock tumblers, though.
I drove them all, Honda, Toyota, Nissan - and none of their 4 cylinder engines compare in smoothness and refinement to their 6 cylinder engines. Just the wimpy starting sound of a 4 cylinder gives me toothache.

Quick Reply: GM mid sized sedans to only be offered with 4 cylinders