Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

VW to Bring Back $85,000 Phaeton to U.S. Four Years After Failure (update not coming)

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-10, 05:09 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only a guess here, but VW boardroom side sees the Panamera sales and hopes lightning will strike this time...
Old 08-19-10, 05:26 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I just did a pic search on the car and it's design is boring.
I'd buy a Equus before the Phaeton and I'm not a Hyundai fan.
Old 08-19-10, 06:26 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
LOL, given VW's reliability, a second hand VW is anything but a brilliant buy.
If it was all about reliability who in their right mind would buy a BMW? Or a Mercedes 5 years ago? The original Phaeton was VW's Lexus LS400, with the same attention to build and detail - just not marketed as well.

That said, I'd be interested to see reliability stats on Phaetons - could you post your links to them for me to look at? Thanks.

I just remember Jeremy Clarkson's review:

It’s almost as though everyone in Denmark is employed to do nothing but think of a sleek new mounting system for an iPod. And that, of course, brings me on to the Volkswagen Phaeton.

I have written and raved about this car many times. And I see no reason why I should not write and rave about it again this morning.

Partly this is because I’ve spent the past few weeks trying to find the perfect large, comfortable car. And partly because I know the Phaeton is the answer but no one seems to agree. The only person I know who has one is the director-general of the BBC. And that’s a miserable 3 litre diesel.

The one I have here is, in essence, a Bentley Continental GT minus the turbocharging and the chromed smooth-action ventilation *****. It has the same 6 litre W12 engine, the same four-wheel-drive system and the same extraordinary attention to detail.

In a Phaeton, you could drive at 186mph all day, when it’s 122F outside, and the air-conditioning would maintain a constant temperature of 71.6F. This is guaranteed. Or rather it would be if the car wasn’t limited to 155mph.

It also has a dashboard that slides away to reveal the air vents and headlamp washers that do one headlamp at a time – so as not to reduce visibility too much.

There’s more. It has the best seats fitted to any car, the interior is fitted with a dehumidifier so the windows will not steam up no matter what you are doing on them, and it has adjustable suspension that really does adjust. Turn a **** one way and it’s like your coming home on a cloud. Turn it the other and it feels like your hair’s on fire.

As a luxury car – as a machine for going quickly and comfortably in sepulchral silence – the Phaeton is better than any of its rivals from Mercedes, Audi, BMW, Jaguar and Maserati.

Of course, you may think that £74,000 is a lot of money for a Volkswagen and you may be disinclined to spend that kind of money in a showroom full of men in donkey jackets buying Polo vans. But the main reason you stay away is because it looks so dreary.

This works well, of course, if you are the director-general of the BBC. You want people to think you slipped into a donkey jacket and bought a Passat. But most people, me included, need a bit more, I dunno, pizzazz and zestiness.

We know that when Volkswagen gave this car to a Belgian and asked him to fit a better-looking body, the result was the Bentley Continental. So what I suggest is that VW now gives it to a Dane.

No really. If the Danes can make me want to refit my entire house with new radiators because they look nice, and install an iPod *** bog roll dispenser, I’m damn sure they could transform the excellent Phaeton basics into the absolute must-have accessory.

Let me put it this way. You all want an Aston Martin, don’t you. You know it’s made up of Jag and Ford bits but you don’t care. You want one because it looks just so sleek and amazing. Right. And where was the designer of the V8 Vantage from? Well, let me put it this way. He’s called Henrik Fisker.

Last edited by Big Andy; 08-19-10 at 06:41 AM.
Old 08-19-10, 06:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 84 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Two: VW's new corporate face is extremely bland and plain. Basic, rectangular air intake openings and rectangular grilles are forgettable and boring. The door area and side profile is even more plain. There is not one kink or curve between the front and rear fenders. This car needed a redesign, not a facelift. In reality, the profile of this car was envisioned back during the 1998 Passat era.
Originally Posted by Joeb427
I just did a pic search on the car and it's design is boring.
I have to disagree. I like a lot of VW's styling.....it is a refreshing change from the world of ugly sweep-back headlights, aero-profiles, humpback-whale roofs, toothy-grin-grilles, and general space-ship styling. Some of that stuff makes me want to disgorge my lunch.
Old 08-19-10, 06:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 84 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Andy
Clarkson was right. The Phaeton was a superb luxury car....and the W12 model was quite a bargain when you compared it to its V12 BMW and Mercedes competition. The American public ignored it last time it was here, and lost out on a good buy.
Old 08-19-10, 06:49 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I have to disagree. I like a lot of VW's styling.....it is a refreshing change from the world of ugly sweep-back headlights, aero-profiles, humpback-whale roofs, toothy-grin-grilles, and general space-ship styling. Some of that stuff makes me want to disgorge my lunch.

Mike,the CC design is nice but the Phaeton is generic look boring for a expensive luxury vehicle,IMO.The interior isn't nice either.

Last edited by Joeb427; 08-19-10 at 06:54 AM.
Old 08-19-10, 07:12 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Boring, VW! Listening this car failed some years back and it will fail again. The RL is a nice car too but does it sell? hectic no.
Old 08-19-10, 07:15 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rogers2
Boring, VW! Listening this car failed some years back and it will fail again. The RL is a nice car too but does it sell? hectic no.
Great point!
Old 08-19-10, 07:29 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Andy
If it was all about reliability who in their right mind would buy a BMW? Or a Mercedes 5 years ago? The original Phaeton was VW's Lexus LS400, with the same attention to build and detail - just not marketed as well.

That said, I'd be interested to see reliability stats on Phaetons - could you post your links to them for me to look at? Thanks.

I don't know about reliability on Phaeton's particularly, but I did hear from many people that the W12 motor requires a lot of expensive maintenance, and the rest of underhood components layout is very poor and very labor consuming and therefore very expensive when it comes to replacement/service.
Old 08-19-10, 07:42 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe it will outsell the RL, not much of an accomplishment.
Old 08-19-10, 08:40 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This will be interesting, but I would venture to agree with Phil. Too many entrants into a depressed market...the traditional three will continue to do well - S, LS, 7. The Panamera will do well with niche buyers but I think the A8 and XJ have their work cut out for them, let alone the Equus and Phaeton.
Old 08-19-10, 09:50 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Mike,the CC design is nice but the Phaeton is generic look boring for a expensive luxury vehicle,IMO.The interior isn't nice either.

from the article....

The model will be completely redesigned and retooled before VW begins selling the high-end sedan in the U.S. again, he said.
Old 08-19-10, 10:09 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
from the article....

The model will be completely redesigned and retooled before VW begins selling the high-end sedan in the U.S. again, he said.

It better be.
Still a long shot competing with other cars in the $85K range.
An $85K VW may be even worse than a $55K Hyundai to many.It is to me.

Last edited by Joeb427; 08-19-10 at 10:16 AM.
Old 08-19-10, 11:10 AM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

“Without our flagship Phaeton, VW wouldn’t be where we are today in terms of technology and image,” Winterkorn said in April during a presentation of a face-lifted version of the current Phaeton in Beijing.
He's kidding, right?
Old 08-19-10, 11:36 AM
MrBruin09
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No way is this car going to be able to compete with a A8, S-class, 7 series, or LS.

Volkswagen is out of their mind...I don't even know anyone that is looking to spend $85,000 or above on a top tier luxury car would think about getting a Volkswagen, when there are better established cars out there.

Quick Reply: VW to Bring Back $85,000 Phaeton to U.S. Four Years After Failure (update not coming)