Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

A day driving to work here in Southern California

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-10, 07:54 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Agreed, but so is speed discipline.
Yes, but with proper lane discipline on multilane roads, those that drive at different speeds are less disruptive and more safe. Many Americans don't understand the concept and drive accordingly, often incrediby undisciplined, unskilled, unknowledgable, uncaring, unaware and incompetent.

Last edited by IS-SV; 08-06-10 at 08:04 AM.
Old 08-06-10, 07:57 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
I think that is a very politically correct way of saying, "There are a--holes everywhere...."
True, with the skill level of small children.
Old 08-06-10, 08:34 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Maybe dad bought the car, and if he gets a ticket, no more Ferrari :d
Btw, many people buy fast cars just to pose, I've seen countless AMGs driving on the slow lane all the time ......
yup, that's what i had in mind, but i guess they think they have money and they can pose. yesterday coming home i saw this cl55, and um.... let's not get there.

but hey, at least i ran into a 997 turbo and a brand new m5, that was a bit more fun

Originally Posted by OC 335i
Try driving in Europe and coming back here. After coming back from the Autobahn & Autostrata I have been nuts ever since. That was 3 years ago. A good majority of the cars use the fast lane for ONLY passing. Even when they are going decently fast, they do not even stay in that lane (80mph)+. When people saw me coming from a distance, they usually would change lanes to let me pass when I was VERY far away from them. Not once in 17 days did I have someone who didn't change lanes very early. I never had to brake for someone to move over unless they did not have a chance to move over immediately due to moderate traffic.

SIGH.
i know what you mean, they are all just so well educated about being courteous, lane manners, and that left lanes are for passing. seriously, not hard at all...
Old 08-06-10, 08:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Too many people going too fast in all lanes, and too many people going too slow in all lanes. Mix 'em all together and welcome to my world.
Absolutely true....probably the best post in this thread so far.
That is exactly what I meant by the term "speed discipline".....not too fast or too slow, and a speed safe for road/traffic conditions.
Old 08-06-10, 08:43 AM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
yup, that's what i had in mind, but i guess they think they have money and they can pose. yesterday coming home i saw this cl55, and um.... let's not get there.

but hey, at least i ran into a 997 turbo and a brand new m5, that was a bit more fun

i know what you mean, they are all just so well educated about being courteous, lane manners, and that left lanes are for passing. seriously, not hard at all...
Yessir. We need re-education here. As well as some proper enforcement.

Oh, yes and they don't pass on the right there either. It happens, but very rarely, people are generally not happy when someone does this to my knowledge (friends/relatives from Europe).
Old 08-06-10, 09:08 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try driving in Europe and coming back here. After coming back from the Autobahn & Autostrata I have been nuts ever since. That was 3 years ago. A good majority of the cars use the fast lane for ONLY passing. Even when they are going decently fast, they do not even stay in that lane (80mph)+. When people saw me coming from a distance, they usually would change lanes to let me pass when I was VERY far away from them. Not once in 17 days did I have someone who didn't change lanes very early. I never had to brake for someone to move over unless they did not have a chance to move over immediately due to moderate traffic.

SIGH.
^ that's good driving. If you ever come up to drive in Vancouver, everyone here does the exact opposite of that (no exageration)
Old 08-06-10, 09:11 AM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

To add:

I was driving 100+ (legally) at many times and people were very cognizant of me coming up behind them. Even at my rate of speed, they moved over way early.

[shameless plug for European Delivery] Everyone who is looking to buy a European car should explore European Delivery options.
Old 08-06-10, 09:21 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

That is exactly what I meant by the term "speed discipline".....not too fast or too slow, and a speed safe for road/traffic conditions.

Different vehicles and different drivers have different capabilities, therefore they drive at different speeds. That's expected and that is normal even countries where drivers are skilled. For example: 18 wheeler trucks drive at different/slower speed even if conditions are the same for all vehicles on the multi lane road. It is not realistic to expect all vehicles to drive at the same speed, nor is it safe. One speed that is "not too fast or too slow" is not safe for all drivers or all vehicles.

To simplify, slower traffic keep right, pass on the left. It's not that difficult, it works well in Europe and fairly well in Canada. Sadly American drivers are often clueless.

Last edited by IS-SV; 08-06-10 at 10:55 AM.
Old 08-06-10, 10:15 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

To add:

I was driving 100+ (legally) at many times and people were very cognizant of me coming up behind them. Even at my rate of speed, they moved over way early.

[shameless plug for European Delivery] Everyone who is looking to buy a European car should explore European Delivery options.
I really wish I have time to do the ED. I would so so so love to do it. I am saving up for the next M5 (selling my body parts on ebay) and hopefully everything will come together.
Old 08-06-10, 10:18 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Majority of america drivers are too stupid and too arrogant. They absolutely have no idea what the left lanes are for. I see a lot of hybrid doing 55 on the freeway. saving the planet, my ****. I am saving unicorns and I need to haul ***.
Old 08-06-10, 10:38 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by STIG
Majority of america drivers are too stupid and too arrogant. They absolutely have no idea what the left lanes are for. I see a lot of hybrid doing 55 on the freeway. saving the planet, my ****. I am saving unicorns and I need to haul ***.
lol you are so funny today man

i like the analogy on the big rigs. why they stay on the right? if people can understand that concept, then the same can/should apply to car driving in general. there is just no way (and doesn't make sense) to have an overall definitely of "safe" speed.

in quite some road conditions here, in a well built car, 80-85mph is very safe. so?
Old 08-06-10, 10:40 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

speed more than speed limit has nothing to do with "too fast". cars were doing 80 on the fast lane, safe distance, flow of traffic. a car decide to get to fast lane and do speed limit, yes, that's too slow
Old 08-06-10, 10:49 AM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

It's really simple:
If the majority of the cars are going 75-80 in the fast lane and you are going 65, while you are obeying the law, you are actually making the conditions more unsafe by doing so.

If every driver allowed others to pass, you wouldn't have people weaving in and out, constantly accelerating and braking. Dangerous lane changes decrease and people actually are more fuel efficient since their rate of speed is staying somewhat constant.

Drivers in the U.S. are just arrogant and detached from the world. Just doesn't make see when you see a line of cars behind you and keep passing you to be like, hey, maybe I should move over. Reminds me of the old Disney cartoon where there were a bunch of Plutos driving. Most people are nice and courteous outside of the car but once they get into their car, it's all about them.
Old 08-06-10, 11:03 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

I wouldn't say it's anything "special" today, probably a lot of people encountered the same driving around here.

Entering the freeway, this girl in her FORD Flex decided that she could take on the M3. Well, I am fine with that, I am always good to have some fun together. But no, she got away, and started going in and out of cars driving like an idiot. It was so not worth it (risk) so I just cruised on the fast lane. Well, I guess driving like an *** doesn't mean smart. She ended up so stuck behind cars and truck in the slow lane, and she started tailing people here and there. Can't understand these people, I eventually passed her and never saw her again.
I never understood this either. It's a traffic jam. NO MATTER how fast you drive, you're still going to get stuck

I see idiots cutting in and out traffic while I do a constant pace in the middle lane. He eventually gets stuck on the inside lane while the lane I'm in just cruise by

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Btw, many people buy fast cars just to pose, I've seen countless AMGs driving on the slow lane all the time ......
what's worst are the one with a personalize plate like "500hp", no traffic in sight, horse blinders on AND driving slow

This is my biggest peeve, most of the time, it's the teeny boppers. Picture is self explanatory:
Attached Thumbnails A day driving to work here in Southern California-ahole.jpg  
Old 08-06-10, 12:05 PM
votru
Lead Lap

Big city driving courtesy and patient is long gone, so much worst during rush hour. Really hate people that cut off everyone in a long line in order to exist or those with a badass mentality. Only when travel out of state that I'm noticed people move over unless they let me be a scapegoat . Be safe and .

Quick Reply: A day driving to work here in Southern California