Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Do you guys remember the Knight Rider

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-10, 06:04 AM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HarrierRX300
I especially loved the show when KITT vs. KARR
My all-time favorite show. I remember watching it on Friday nights on NBC at 8pm I think it was.

A little trivia: There were two KARR episodes, KARR's voice was played by two different people, but one of them was Peter Cullen. Same guy who does the voice for Optimus Prime.

Transformers was my favorite cartoon growing up too.
Old 07-16-10, 07:08 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I've always loved the car/truck/bike based shows of the 70's & 80's. BJ & the Bear, CHIPS, Emergency 911, Rockford files, Fall Guy, & Knight Rider were my favorites.
Old 07-16-10, 10:38 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

the only reason why I loved the trans am because of KITT

I wouldn't mind having a KITT replica in my garage

TURBO BOOST
Old 07-16-10, 02:07 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 157 Likes on 92 Posts

GM was on a digital dash craze all throughout the 80's and early 90's. I got so into it, I had to have a GMC S-15 Jimmy with that option. It always generated the most comments whenever I drove my friends around during high school. hehe
Fast forward to five years ago.... there was a good rap/dance song that used this song as it's base. Panjani MC, or something like that...
Old 07-16-10, 02:19 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts

how cool would it be to tell your car to meet you outside the office to go home or to head to lunch.........or to fight crime>LOL
Old 07-16-10, 05:00 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

It was my third favorite show from the 80s, trailing right behind Airwolf and the A-Team.

Sledge Hammer and MacGyver round up the top five list.

Jon
Old 07-16-10, 07:51 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I liked the show, but "Super Pursuit Mode" was when the show jumped the shark... and was it ever explained who the heck Michael Knight was originally? Probably a beautician...
Old 07-16-10, 08:04 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts

Air Wolf and BJ & the Bear...........blast to the past. 2 shows I used to watch all of the time but havent thought of until reading one of these posts. Thanks for the walk down memory lane
Old 07-16-10, 08:42 PM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
GM was on a digital dash craze all throughout the 80's and early 90's. I got so into it, I had to have a GMC S-15 Jimmy with that option. It always generated the most comments whenever I drove my friends around during high school. hehe
Fast forward to five years ago.... there was a good rap/dance song that used this song as it's base. Panjani MC, or something like that...
I think you're thinking of "Fire it Up" from Busta Rhymes.

Even though a lot of them were problematic, I always liked the digital dashes in older cars. My dad had an '83 & '89 Continental w/ the digital dashes as well as a '91 Allante w/ the digital dash. I think the dash out of the late 80s Corvette was one of the coolest.

You KR fans with money - you can get a turn-key replica for like $50k - fully functional digital dash and fresh engine/trans/suspension/paint. But you're still driving around an early 80s designed Pontiac - it'll eventually rattle apart. I'd still get one if I had the scratch.
Old 07-16-10, 09:00 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

and was it ever explained who the heck Michael Knight was originally?
Never watched the VERY first episode huh?? Michael Knight was originally a LA cop by the name of Michael Long? He was investigating computer based crimes which centered around the Silicon Valley area, when the confidential informant, Tonya(his real life wife Katherine), pretty much turned on him, after setting up a meeting in the desert with her contacts and shot him. Wilton Knight, Devin Miles and associates were responsible for not only saving his life by providing him with the extra technology needed to keep him alive, but they also performed plastic surgery on him so that the people he was investigating would never know he was still alive; they left him for dead. Keep in mind that this is the early 80's so computer technology was still very much in it's infancy. They operated a foundation called FLAGG (Foundation for Law And Government) and pretty much co-ersed Mike into joining them after reminding him that if it were not for them he would be dead. They took his Trans Am and came up with the concept of KITT (Knight Industries Two Thousand). It took a little while for the reality to set in, but he fel into the role they always knew he would anyway.

Last edited by trukn1; 07-17-10 at 10:25 PM.
Old 07-16-10, 10:07 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 157 Likes on 92 Posts

What about KARR?
Old 07-17-10, 10:37 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
What about KARR?
KARR was the prototype version of KITT. It was also built by Knight Industries, prior to KITT, however a programing error in the CPU of KARR made it highly unstable and dangerous. Unlike KITT, KARR was highly naive and gullable. This made it easy for people to take advantage of KARR and use his abilities for their own advantage.

KITT-- prime derective,, preservation of human life
KARR-- prime derective,,,self preservation