Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The future of the HS 250h?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-10, 12:20 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Joeb427
That may be true but $49K is ridiculous for a loaded HS.$37.3K is high for the premium model too,IMO.
The HS should have a better ride and be quieter than the Camry XLE.
I don't disagree. I was stunned to see HS pricing on the dealer lots, all pretty much 40k and higher.

Govt needs to offer some new hybrid tax credits.

Old 07-08-10, 12:26 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I don't disagree. I was stunned to see HS pricing on the dealer lots, all pretty much 40k and higher.

Govt needs to offer some new hybrid tax credits.
$40K loaded is a nice cost for the HS.
Hybrid credits were nice.
Hybrids aren't worth it for me.I don't do anywhere near the mileage to justify the extra $4K-$5K cost.
I like diesels!
Old 07-08-10, 01:12 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I think that the exterior of the HS is very sharp.
I think the styling is contemporary and fresh but for the 40-43k I would rather just get an IS350 and have a blast. This will probably change as gas prices increase again
Old 07-08-10, 03:12 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
$40K loaded is a nice cost for the HS.
Hybrid credits were nice.
Hybrids aren't worth it for me.I don't do anywhere near the mileage to justify the extra $4K-$5K cost.
I like diesels!
A hybrid with a $4k premium doesn't make sense, but a diesel with a $4k premium does? Right.

Anywho, $40k might be worth it for a better performing HS. But to beat a dead horse further, the 2.4L IS OLD!

And there are still state tax credits available. In PA you can get a $500 rebate for buying a hybrid.
Old 07-08-10, 03:19 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
A hybrid with a $4k premium doesn't make sense, but a diesel with a $4k premium does? Right.

I posted IF I had the need for more MPGs and did more miles per,I'd prefer to go diesel over a hybrid at this point,anyway.

Last edited by Joeb427; 07-08-10 at 03:36 PM.
Old 07-09-10, 03:15 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

whoa. it's like deja vu.

almost every post here echoes what i've said and heard before.
Old 12-31-10, 11:00 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update on this thread:

Gas prices are inching higher which might help HS sales, but the CT also lands here in three months.

With sales of 9,542 YTD through November, it looks like my original prediction of 10-11K in annual volume was spot on. That's half of Lexus' most recent sales goal and only one third of what they predicted originally.

The car debuted in 2009 as a 2010 model so you would think it wouldn't get a refresh until at least 2012, but I wonder if Lexus will do anything before then? Interestingly, the HS has not been updated as a 2011 model on Lexus.com. Also consider that the new IS and ES will be dropping in the next two years, and both may carry hybrid variants.
Old 12-31-10, 11:28 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
I still see a lot of them on the road around here with new plates
only ones I see are loaners.....

I really think it was a pretty weak effort by Lexus....it should have had the CT drivetrain.
Old 12-31-10, 12:14 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Update on this thread:

Gas prices are inching higher which might help HS sales, but the CT also lands here in three months.

With sales of 9,542 YTD through November, it looks like my original prediction of 10-11K in annual volume was spot on. That's half of Lexus' most recent sales goal and only one third of what they predicted originally.

The car debuted in 2009 as a 2010 model so you would think it wouldn't get a refresh until at least 2012, but I wonder if Lexus will do anything before then? Interestingly, the HS has not been updated as a 2011 model on Lexus.com. Also consider that the new IS and ES will be dropping in the next two years, and both may carry hybrid variants.
Good estimate.

Yeah no 2011 model yet. Dealers have ample inventory still of 2010s. We do know they sell every damn one they have in Japan though and this car clearly is a hit there, not here.

With gas creeping back up it might just stay around 10k units a year which ain't great but it means Lexus doesn't depend on the RX for sales like in years past. The added CT should also benefit with higher gas prices.

I couldn't get ANY info on the future of the HS. No MMC info or anything. Since we bought one I didn't want her to have the old model.

Its clear there is a small market for the HS and Lexus forecasters were wrong thinking there was a 20k a year size market. That said 10k cars a year ain't bad to have.

I've noticed the HS ads are not in business mags but in mags like wired and even some ladies mags. Advertising on TV has stopped. I think they did a poor job explaining the car to people.

Old 12-31-10, 02:16 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Did they ever resolve the issue with exploding petrol tank?
Old 12-31-10, 02:23 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I've noticed the HS ads are not in business mags but in mags like wired and even some ladies mags. Advertising on TV has stopped. I think they did a poor job explaining the car to people.
This is one area where Lexus continually falls short. IS, RX and ES get some attention but GS had one campaign since late 05 when it was introduced (donuts), LS had one brief, weird techy commercial as it was refreshed, and everything else is pretty dead.

Nothing for ISF after introduction, HS had lame 15 second spots at launch and nothing since, i've never seen an ad for the RX 450h or LX, GX had it's lame superhero spot.

Much of this year's advertising has focused on the LFA which is great, but something supplemental for the rest of the lineup would have gone a long way. I know that Lexus' traditional philosophy is that the cars should sell themselves, but in this ever crowded, evolving segment, they simply aren't doing enough.
Old 01-01-11, 09:01 AM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing is that when gas hits $4.00 and farther, why buy a $35,000 car to save gas? thats completely wrong. Either you stick with the car you get and suffer or get something decently priced, like a Prius.
Old 01-01-11, 10:28 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

HS is an odd car and I was surprised Lexus sold it as is.

Let's see:
Entry level - not very luxurious
Not very fuel efficient
Not sporty
Not spacious
Not even attractive

They were better off implementing a hybrid system in the ES line. I mean, if you're going to produce a dedicated hybrid, it has to be able to compete with the fuel efficiency of a Prius. With some special luxury add-ons, a great styling package, it would be a good seller. So why does the HS exist?
Old 01-01-11, 11:13 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by G Star
HS is an odd car and I was surprised Lexus sold it as is.

Let's see:
Entry level - not very luxurious
Not very fuel efficient
Not sporty
Not spacious
Not even attractive

They were better off implementing a hybrid system in the ES line. I mean, if you're going to produce a dedicated hybrid, it has to be able to compete with the fuel efficiency of a Prius. With some special luxury add-ons, a great styling package, it would be a good seller. So why does the HS exist?
I chose the Camry Hybrid over the HS.
More room
Rides so much more quiet and smooth.
Same MPG.
Thousands less expensive.
Both cars are boring to look at.

I would have loved an ES hybrid.
Old 01-01-11, 11:30 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by lamar411
One thing is that when gas hits $4.00 and farther, why buy a $35,000 car to save gas? thats completely wrong. Either you stick with the car you get and suffer or get something decently priced, like a Prius.
Bingo, that is why expensive hybrids especially in this economy are not going to sell even when gas prices get high. Why if your trying to save money on gas is someone going to get a pricey luxury car when if they want to save they should just keep what they have longer or get a much lower priced car from a non premium brand if they absolutely need a new car. That is the problem with a pricey hybrid like a HS is that it does not make much sense to most buyers. It is just too expensive for what it is and encroaches on nicer more upscale less compromised Lexus cars like the ES and IS250 in pricing once you start adding a few options to the HS for not much savings at the pump.

I don't find the HS to be a bad car but it would sell much better and make more sense if you could get a nicely equipped model for 29K and it maxed out around 32 or 33 for buyers who want a nicer hybrid then a prius but don't want to be spending anywhere close to 40K.

Lexus should not give up on the HS as it could find buyers in a second generation if it was better looking, a little roomier, offered either more power or better fuel economy, interior was nicer, and most importantly if they lower the price.

Quick Reply: The future of the HS 250h?