Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai Equus, Genesis Sedan to get new 429-hp 5.0L V8 (2011 updates)

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-10, 03:05 AM
St00k
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hyundai Equus, Genesis Sedan to get new 429-hp 5.0L V8 (2011 updates)

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...th-429-hp.html

Hyundai has just announced that after he market launch of its new flagship Equus luxury sedan, it will offer an engine option above the planned 4.6L Tau V8. The optional engine will be a new 5.0L Tau V8, making 429-hp. That same engine will then also find its way into the Genesis luxury sedan.

With a power increase of around 45-hp with the larger engine, torque will also jump from 333 ft-lbs to 376. And aiding in both power deliver and fuel consumption is a new 8-speed automatic – although it’s not yet clear if the Genesis will also get the 8-speed box.

The move is designed to keep Hyundai’s flagship competitive with the new twin-turbo motors from BMW and Mercedes, but as most buyers won’t see the Equus as a rival to the established marques, we have to think this is more of a shot across the bow of Lexus, with the larger Genesis motor offering far more power than what Lexus equips its LS models with.
Old 06-23-10, 05:41 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Genesis Sedan to get new 429-hp 5.0L V8...

Now the Hyundai Genesis has my interest.
Old 06-23-10, 06:18 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I question whether the Hyundai buyer, as opposed to the BMW buyer, has the same access to funds for insurance, maintenance and fuel costs that a 5.0L V8 commands. Afterall, this isn't an ES.
Old 06-23-10, 06:35 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I question whether the Hyundai buyer, as opposed to the BMW buyer, has the same access to funds for insurance, maintenance and fuel costs that a 5.0L V8 commands. Afterall, this isn't an ES.
With the $60-something-K asking price, I am sure it won't be a problem.

As for the car, I am not going to rehash old comments but I don't think it would matter if they dropped an S65 AMG-beating TT V12 under the hood, I predict that this car will fail just like the Phaeton.

Americans care about name, prestige, recognition, as well as the sales and service experience. Dishing out $55+K for a car that is sold and services along side Tucsons and Accents will be a turn off for most people.

I'm not saying they won't sell a few of them, but I highly predict Genesis-like sales figures that hardly add up to the "game changer" that so many envisioned.
Old 06-23-10, 06:49 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
With the $60-something-K asking price, I am sure it won't be a problem.

As for the car, I am not going to rehash old comments but I don't think it would matter if they dropped an S65 AMG-beating TT V12 under the hood, I predict that this car will fail just like the Phaeton.

Americans care about name, prestige, recognition, as well as the sales and service experience. Dishing out $55+K for a car that is sold and services along side Tucsons and Accents will be a turn off for most people.

I'm not saying they won't sell a few of them, but I highly predict Genesis-like sales figures that hardly add up to the "game changer" that so many envisioned.
Agreed.

And we've seen with Infiniti's various attempts that top of class horsepower alone isn't enough to win buyers over from established brands.

I honestly think this is a waste of time, money, and effort for Hyundai, unless they decide to make a luxury marque. But even with that, it would take decades for a new luxury marque to gain acceptance even here in the US where it's relatively easy.

But I will say that this does up the ante for Lexus with their next generation GS and LS even though the Hyundais may never be taken seriously.
Old 06-23-10, 07:09 AM
LexFather

lol at Acura.
I think the sales goal is a measly 1,000 units a year right? Sometimes the LS/7/S do that in a month.

Lets not forget the Genesis didn't meet sales goals either so there is some internet fanboi hype but consumers have not responded.

As MP said its about other things, not just value.

Also of note, the Infiniti/Nissan 5.6 V-8 makes 420hp. The Hyundai 5.0 makes 429hp.

Last edited by LexFather; 06-23-10 at 07:12 AM.

Old 06-23-10, 07:19 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well done.

I hope the next generation GS can pull of similar numbers, if not better.
Old 06-23-10, 07:45 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Well done.

I won't care what a next generation GS500 can do if there is no 500hp+ GS-F ......
Old 06-23-10, 07:47 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by meowCat
Fly over to Korea and visit their dealership. Hyundai dealerships have marvel floors and walls. Customer service is also top notch.

Plus Equus isn't targeted for many people in the U.S.. it has very small target demographic, such as die hard Korean car fans, old rich Korean folks (Grandpa's). Hyundai is not expecting large sales out of these vehicles. It's for shows to improve Hyundai image meaning they no longer make crap cars. I agree, Hyundai really needs to establish a luxury division for the Genesis and Equus. It will very likely happen pretty soon anyway... Just wait and quit whining...

Originally Posted by meowCat
Not sure what happened.. I meant to quote MPLexus301, not Cj.
LOL, well I'll respond anyway...

The Genesis and Equus are no different from the Toyota Crown/Crown Majesta and the Nissan Skyline/Fuga that are sold in Japan, but there's a reason why Toyota and Nissan don't sell those vehicles over here in the US as "Toyotas" and "Nissans"...
Old 06-23-10, 07:48 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I really don't think this car is really about sells. I think this car is really about Hyundai moving forward. I think sometimes people in America get caught up with themselves. FYI: America is not the only country that buys cars.
Old 06-23-10, 07:48 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Well done.

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
I won't care what a next generation GS500 can do if there is no 500hp+ GS-F ......
Yeah it won't really matter if the GS has a 430hp V8 as long as it has a 500+hp F model. A GS-F would outclass both the M56 and this Hyundai...
Old 06-23-10, 08:28 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I don't want to give the wrong impression - I am not discrediting Hyundai's efforts or the Equus itself. After all, you do have to start somewhere.

That said, I think Hyundai is approaching the luxury market the wrong way. Like CJ said, there is a reason that we have Lexus and Infiniti instead of the Toyota Crown or Nissan Fuga...billions of dollars of R&D and development went into making the decision to launch luxury-dedicated brands in the US. For Hyundai to think they can successfully launch the Genesis and Equus under their own name is obviously bold and I think the sales figures for the Genesis speak for themselves. The numbers for the Equus have yet to be seen.

Also, someone is bound to bring up the, "But Chevy can sell a $125,000 car" or "Toyota sells the $70,000 Land Cruiser so Hyundai can do it too" but those are irrelevant comments, IMO. Remember that until about five years ago, Hyundai was universally known for making crappy econoboxes that were a solid cut below Toyota or Honda- not much better than Kia. Their recent revival is impressive but I think there are plenty of people who are skeptical of a brand that just started turning around, and now wants to sell top-shelf luxury cars. Corvettes and Land Cruisers have a longer history and more prestige/recognition than the Hyundai brand itself.

There has also been plenty of chatter about Hyundai coming out with a luxury brand and then pulling the Equus and Genesis under that umbrella, but IMO, this is only going to cause more problems. People are just now getting used to the idea that Hyundai is trying to build, sell, and market cars against the top premium brands. If they turn around and create a new brand, they will have to start completely over again and then have ZERO credibility and brand recognition to build from.

Another thing they may want to consider is hiring a creative design team and tearing down all the pictures of S Classes and LSs that currently wallpaper their studios. People are increasingly wanting unique styling and character in the cars they they buy - something the Equus and Genesis completely lack.
Old 06-23-10, 09:13 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Their recent revival is impressive but I think there are plenty of people who are skeptical of a brand that just started turning around, and now wants to sell top-shelf luxury cars.

I think Hyundai needs the Genesis and Equus in their line-up to remove the tarnished reputation.

And although it doesn't get the respect it should, it does make a statement.

In due time, and I'm thinking a few years down the road, Hyundai should initiate a luxury brand.

But for now, it needs to clean up the closet. They can now provide the engineering and quality. They need to further define the brand and become unique in the future, rather than continue being compared to benchmark competitors.

"A cheap alternative" should not be a description that Hyundai flaunts around.
Old 06-23-10, 09:22 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

i think the times have changed, and certainly the economy, and i don't blame hyundai for not starting a new brand which is insanely expensive.

with bmw selling cars like the 1 series, it shows even established 'premium' brands come down market, so i don't see what's wrong with a lower end brand going up market, and besides, this isn't a new thing for hyundai. with the azera, sonata and their suvs they've been inching up in style/features/price, able to do so by leaving lower end offerings in their Kia brand. toyota had one brand for DECADES, while hyundai has two for a while.

i would have no problem owning a hyundai genesis sedan. every time i see one on the road i do a double take and think 'that looks really sharp'. certainly makes a lexus ES for example look like crap, and i believe it's better looking than the current GS too.

the equus is definitely a stretch, but if their expectations are low, it can be a good halo, just like the LFA is for Lexus which certainly is not about making money for that model!
Old 06-23-10, 10:37 AM
jason60050
Driver

Unbelievable....is all I have to say about a Genesis with a 5.0 and an 8 speed tranny which I have heard they are planning on releasing...the Genesis has caught my attention!!!!!

Quick Reply: Hyundai Equus, Genesis Sedan to get new 429-hp 5.0L V8 (2011 updates)