Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai Has Prius-Killer in the Works

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-10, 12:21 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Do they mean Blue whale because thats what it looks like. LOL.
Old 06-03-10, 06:21 PM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's still a piece of %#@^#^ hyundai
Old 06-03-10, 06:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermactor
The days of POS Hyundais are long gone...a good 10-15 years in the past.
Old 06-03-10, 08:16 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude, have you been in Cryostasis for the last 10 years?
Old 06-03-10, 11:17 PM
YEH
Pole Position

Toyota has so firmly established the Prius brand that I doubt any competitor would be a "Prius-killer."

If Hyundai does it right, it may very well be the 1st serious competitor for the Prius, tho.

Originally Posted by bruce van
Bring it Hyundai! There is still plenty of market share for hybrids. The "fluidic sculpture" looks a lot like Mazda's styling cues..... I'm still not 100% convinced.
Make that Peugeot's.
Old 06-04-10, 04:52 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by YEH
Toyota has so firmly established the Prius brand that I doubt any competitor would be a "Prius-killer."
I tend to agree. The Prius has reigned king for so long it will be very difficult to knock it off its pedestal. It may take years.
Old 06-04-10, 06:54 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by YEH
If Hyundai does it right, it may very well be the 1st serious competitor for the Prius, tho.
I think that's just what they want at this point....and competition is a good thing...it will push Toyota to make an even better product as well
Old 06-04-10, 07:00 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Its like a small whale or something lol
Old 06-04-10, 10:18 AM
GS3Tek

Received 164 Likes on 125 Posts

No, not anymore. I reserve that for honda now

Originally Posted by YEH

kind of like the i-phone killers out there

would like to see hyundai give the prius a good competition.
Old 06-07-10, 12:36 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by YARIS!
When it comes to state of the art hybrid tech such as that found in the Prius, Hyundai (and everyone else) has a lot of catching up to do.

But, I have to say I'm starting to have more faith in Hyundai than Honda even when it comes to hybrid tech. At the moment, Honda is clearly ahead in this dept., but Hyundai is advancing so quickly that I have no doubt they will become a leader.

That said, I don't see them leapfrogging Toyota in the hybrid/alternative fuel area. Hyundai may bring on a Prius competitor, but not a "killer".
Their latest products are amazing. Just to think that a few years ago, they were still a few steps behind Toyota & Honda and now they've come up with stylish cars at bargain prices.

Originally Posted by Sens4Miles
I wouldn't bet on it. Toyota is probably the least ambitious car company when it comes to producing an electric car. They have suggested this time and time again in the press. They are avoiding producing an all electric car for as long as possible. You think they couldn't have something out there by now if they wanted to? The point is, they DON'T want to, which is why they haven't. They like having their mildly profitable Prius be the image of fuel efficiency for the brand and they don't want that to change anytime soon. Until perhaps another brand (*cough cough Nissan* *cough cough Chevrolet*) puts out an electric and/or plug-in hybrid that beats up the Prius in terms of fuel efficiency, image, and sales, don't expect Toyota to do a damn thing as far as producing a full electric car.
I suppose but car production doesn't happen overnight. If Toyota launches an EV 1-2 years after the Leaf, you can be sure as heck development didn't start today.

Originally Posted by JackL23
I can't speak for Honda, but I have the distinct impression that they don't feel like hybrid technology is the answer (I wholeheartedly agree). And that the Insight only exists because "you have to sell a hybrid that competes with the Prius". I believe that Honda is more interested in focusing its real efforts on alternative fuels like hydrogen. And if that pays off in the form of hydrogen fueling stations in place all over the country, then they will be way ahead of the competition. Time will tell.
It appears to be that way, yeah. But of course if Honda gets a breakthrough, they'll be well ahead of the competition just like how Toyota was with the Prius. It's been 13 years since the Prius was launch and there still isn't a serious competitor (although I will say the Fusion Hybrid is a pretty good alternative to the Camry Hybrid)