ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Car Chat (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-chat-139/)
-   -   Infiniti Performance Line (IPL) is coming this year (priced) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-chat/503643-infiniti-performance-line-ipl-is-coming-this-year-priced.html)

Hoovey689 05-24-10 07:34 PM

Infiniti Performance Line (IPL) is coming this year (priced)

Infiniti Performance Line (IPL) is coming this year

Hot on the heels of the recent revelation that Infiniti is working on a duo of new G-based vehicles slated to debut at this year's Pebble Beach extravaganza, we've come across a trademark filing by Nissan North America for "IPL." What's IPL you ask? Infiniti Performance Line, a new catalog of in-house developed upgrades which – according to the filing – will include everything from air filters to cat-back exhaust systems, and – more intriguingly – "automotive engine parts, namely turbochargers and superchargers."

The approach is likely to be similar to how NISMO develops and markets parts for Nissan or, more accurately, Lexus' launch of its F-Sport performance line.

This new line of performance parts will likely be unveiled this August in Pebble Beach and be fitted to the G37 coupe. How extensive the modifications are remains to be seen, but as previously reported, one of the models set to debut will be "performance oriented," and if forced induction is part of the package, we're anxiously awaiting our rendezvous with the modded coupe this summer.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/05/24/i...ing-this-year/

Initial B 05-24-10 09:17 PM

nice, can't wait to see what they're bringing to the table

TXSTYLE 05-24-10 09:48 PM

That's Hott... Bout time! And hey, might as well. Look at the success of AMG and //M

There is always gonna be a market for Performance + Luxury

MR_F1 05-24-10 09:59 PM

Dare I say, Lexus better get their **** together.

Blackraven 05-24-10 10:52 PM

There is always gonna be a market for Performance+Luxury.
Agreed

I guess it's common knowledge nowadays that the premium/high-end auto segment is not only reserved for the likes of 60 year olds & billionaire retirees

With that said, combining Sport/Performance and Luxury/Prestige together is what makes the premium/high-end auto segment even better IMHO :D

So I agree, more of these is a win for me :)

Hoovey689 05-24-10 11:56 PM

Hey Acura, your turn.

Oh wait you need to have a V8, RWD, and be this tall to roll with these boys LOL (yeah I did :D:p)

rsantiago 05-25-10 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by Blackraven (Post 5515214)
Agreed

I guess it's common knowledge nowadays that the premium/high-end auto segment is not only reserved for the likes of 60 year olds & billionaire retirees

With that said, combining Sport/Performance and Luxury/Prestige together is what makes the premium/high-end auto segment even better IMHO :D

So I agree, more of these is a win for me :)

That's true for stateside folks but in (PI) Pinas the luxury/performance is reserved for the big boys (old timers with serious money or government connected *wink*

plex 05-25-10 04:56 AM

Great news.........

DASHOCKER 05-25-10 05:37 AM

Infiniti is on the move! Their line up of vehicles have the proven chassis for higher performance endeavors.. I am looking foward to what they are bringing to market..

LexFather 05-25-10 06:36 AM

Good move to follow after Lexus F-Sport. I hope they have a driving event for enthusiasts soon.

MPLexus301 05-25-10 06:44 AM

FWIW the rumored new M model will NOT be a coupe :(. Infiniti shot that rumor down yesterday but I am too lazy to find the topic and bump it.

As far as IPL...I hope they don't plan to call it that. "M56 IPL" doesn't really have that ring to it.

IMO this is probably the baby step that will lead to true M/F/AMG fighters in the next generation of G and M. Introducing the parts to gauge interest and reception, then introducing full-on production cars next time around.

Just my .02.

GS69 05-25-10 06:51 AM

Article if it Helps

Originally Posted by MPLexus301 (Post 5515645)
FWIW the rumored new M model will NOT be a coupe :(. Infiniti shot that rumor down yesterday but I am too lazy to find the topic and bump it.

Last week, there had been talk that a new sketch from Infiniti, which featured brush-stroked vehicle outlines, indicated that the carmaker will be launching a two-door version of its new 2011 M sedan.

However, Infiniti denied this, saying that the sketch is a preview of some models that will be introduced at the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance this year. In fact, an Infiniti spokesperson gave a statement that the idea of an M coupe is “so far off the charts.” The tease that came out during the official drive program for the 2011 QX sport utility, shows 2 “product extensions.” 1 has the design of a “volume-oriented” luxury vehicle while the other is a “performance-oriented” offering. A source said that the sketch previews the G sedan and coupe. Already, fans are excited about seeing a four-cylinder G model and a G37 version that could rival the Lexus’ IS F-Sport range.

(Cj) 05-25-10 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411 (Post 5515320)
Hey Acura, your turn.

Oh wait you need to have a V8, RWD, and be this tall to roll with these boys LOL (yeah I did :D:p)

Well Acura was technically first to "high performance" with their Type S range of FWD cars.

It's debatable if Type S was ever taken seriously though. :p

LexFather 05-25-10 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by (Cj) (Post 5515737)
Well Acura was technically first to "high performance" with their Type S range of FWD cars.

It's debatable if Type S was ever taken seriously though. :p

lol, not sure if serious? :D Acura never sold stand alone parts like F-sport or what might be this IPL. The Type-S and A-spec were packages I believe like the old L-tuned packages. I figure the current INfiniti red badge "S" models are similar to a Type-S or A-spec package.

Allen K 05-25-10 07:53 AM

Great news, but like some others, I hope they give it a catcher acronym.

LexFather 05-25-10 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Allen K (Post 5515778)
Great news, but like some others, I hope they give it a catcher acronym.

Well the name "infiniti" is confused to this day and their vehicles use either the worst letters or letters already used so don't expect much. Hell IPL could be "Initial Program Load" or "Indian Premier League" but you have to be a CPU geek :D or follow Cricket:cool: What is important is they are indeed going to offer these parts which any enthusiast should applaud. :thumbup:

What is of particular interest is the possible "boost" from forced induction. If they pull that off with the assumed factory warranty that is a damn great move by them. :thumbup:

Nismo parts are mostly rebadged parts from other companies, not much is built in house. Infiniti has wanted to use Nismo parts for sometime but did not want Nismo associated with Infiniti as that is Nissan's performance arm. So likely these might be rebadged Nismo parts in most cases sold as IPL for Infiniti which makes marketing sense.

Nismo has a nice site.

http://www.nissanusa.com/nismo/

Here is a Nismo Nissan Skyline, our G37. Makes sense just to rebadge the parts and not make new ones.

http://www.autoguide.com/gallery/d/1...4/IMG_3706.jpg
http://www.autoguide.com/gallery/d/1...4/IMG_3705.jpg
http://www.autoguide.com/gallery/d/1...4/IMG_3704.jpg

DASHOCKER 05-25-10 09:31 AM

Since Yamaha has been busy making engines for other manufacturers, I wonder if they will get a deal done with Infiniti ?

LexFather 05-25-10 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER (Post 5516090)
Since Yamaha has been busy making engines for other manufacturers, I wonder if they will get a deal done with Infiniti ?

Huh? They make engines for some "city" cars and assisted developing the engine and acoustic sound of the LFA (they don't build it). Not sure why Nissan would turn to them especially since Nissan has experience in Forced Induction.

If you read, it says F/I not new engines. This is not a performance arm but performance parts ala AMG sport, F-sport, M-sport......

GS3Tek 05-25-10 10:03 AM

that's good to hear:thumbup:

hope they don't call it IPL, sounds like a bad stock that I should stay faaaar away from:p

Blackraven 05-25-10 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by rsantiago (Post 5515507)
That's true for stateside folks but in (PI) Pinas the luxury/performance is reserved for the big boys (old timers with serious money or government connected *wink*

True.....but there is a possibility that it *might* change.......though that's up to the newer generation of auto buyers to implement this and make it work........

Anyways
Like what other premium automakers have atm (i.e. Lexus ISF, Audi RS5, MB S65 AMG, BMW M6, etc etc), will Infiniti have something like this in the future?

With that said, I do hope that Infiniti would follow that route hehe :D

MR_F1 05-25-10 10:42 AM

So Lexus, when is F-Sport going to get Turbo/Superchargers for the IS350 and more importantly, the IS250?

Whatever happened to the Carbon brakes for the IS-F?

knihc2008 05-25-10 11:06 AM

So this is an F-Sport-like add on group of parts rather than a dedicated line of cars like F, AMG, and M right?

jwong77 05-25-10 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX (Post 5516143)
Huh? They make engines for some "city" cars and assisted developing the engine and acoustic sound of the LFA (they don't build it). Not sure why Nissan would turn to them especially since Nissan has experience in Forced Induction.

If you read, it says F/I not new engines. This is not a performance arm but performance parts ala AMG sport, F-sport, M-sport......

I think he's referring to the engine in the Ford SHO from the early 90's.

(Cj) 05-25-10 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by MR_F1 (Post 5516364)
So Lexus, when is F-Sport going to get Turbo/Superchargers for the IS350 and more importantly, the IS250?

Whatever happened to the Carbon brakes for the IS-F?

I don't see why the IS350/250 need turbo kits. That would just dilute the purpose of the IS-F, and "could" hurt IS-F sales.

They need a from the factory F Sport package and not just dealer accessories. IPL will be a dealer accessory program more or less like Acura's A-spec and the current F Sport program.

FYI the current F Sport IS is 10% more powerful than the stock IS.

IS-SV 05-25-10 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by TXSTYLE (Post 5515018)
That's Hott... Bout time! And hey, might as well. Look at the success of AMG and //M

There is always gonna be a market for Performance + Luxury

Agreed, the best of both is what a lot of us want.:thumbup:

GSteg 05-25-10 11:15 AM

The way I see it, an F-sport turbo/supercharger wouldn't hurt the IS-F sale because 110hp boost over a stock IS350 is quite a lot. These cars will most likely see only 60hp or so. No way would Toyota want to warranty a 415hp IS350. Sure you could up the boost but then your factory warranty will be voided. Most people who want more power will probably go the custom route instead. The F/I add-ons are more for those who want a bump in the power department while retaining their factory warranty. Look at the previous TRD setups that were available. They gave a very modest boost in power.

DASHOCKER 05-25-10 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by GSteg (Post 5516457)
The way I see it, an F-sport turbo/supercharger wouldn't hurt the IS-F sale because 110hp boost over a stock IS350 is quite a lot. These cars will most likely see only 60hp or so. No way would Toyota want to warranty a 415hp IS350. Sure you could up the boost but then your factory warranty will be voided. Most people who want more power will probably go the custom route instead. The F/I add-ons are more for those who want a bump in the power department while retaining their factory warranty. Look at the previous TRD setups that were available. They gave a very modest boost in power.

Like the available 408hp manufacturer warranty backed Dinan 335i. Is it a threat to the 414hp M3? :D

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...specialty_file

I8ABMR 05-25-10 02:08 PM

They have Nismo parts for the G35 coupe and sedan. This is like going to the next level

MR_F1 05-25-10 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by (Cj) (Post 5516437)
I don't see why the IS350/250 need turbo kits. That would just dilute the purpose of the IS-F, and "could" hurt IS-F sales.

They need a from the factory F Sport package and not just dealer accessories. IPL will be a dealer accessory program more or less like Acura's A-spec and the current F Sport program.

FYI the current F Sport IS is 10% more powerful than the stock IS.

different folks, different strokes. Plus the IS250 is in dire need of more horses.

GS69 08-12-10 10:35 AM

G

A 348-hp Infiniti G coupe with chrome exhaust tips and red-stitched leather seats will serve as the first model of the brand's new Infiniti Performance Line.

The specialty-performance subbrand, intended to pit Infiniti more competitively against European luxury makes such as BMW and Audi, will be unveiled tonight during the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance classic car show in Pebble Beach, Calif.

In a statement released today, Infiniti revealed that the performance coupe will be in showrooms nationwide in December for sale as a 2011 model.

The company said it expects to have a range of vehicles under the Infiniti Performance Line brand logo in the future.

Infiniti has lagged other luxury brands in creating a performance subbrand. Audi offers S-branded performance models, BMW has the M performance brand and Toyota Motor Corp.'s Lexus brand now includes F performance models.

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcsi.d...tle=1&MaxW=600
The performance coupe's 348-hp, 3.7-liter V-6 claims 18 more horsepower than the standard Infiniti G37 coupe with the same size engine.

Ben Poore, vice president of the Infiniti business unit, said in the company statement that the new models will go “beyond equipment upgrades” to include changes in the vehicles' exhaust sounds, ride comfort and handling.

The performance models, branded with a red letter “I” on their trunk lids, will use new engine and suspension tunings and new components for brakes, exhaust systems, seats and bumpers.

The performance coupe's 348-hp, 3.7-liter V-6 claims 18 more horsepower than the standard Infiniti G37 coupe with the same size engine. The performance model has 276 pounds-feet of torque, 6 pounds-feet more than the standard G coupe.

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcsi.d...tle=1&MaxW=600
The interior of the performance coupe offers red-stitched leather seats.

Other differences include a rear spoiler; aluminum interior trim; aluminum pedals; 19-inch, 7-spoke graphite-finish wheels; a different engine cover; and stiffer tuning on front and rear springs. The model uses a different muffler to yield different exhaust sounds, according to the company's statement.

The model will come in just 2 colors: graphite shadow and malbec black.

LexFather 08-12-10 10:49 AM

Well have to applaud the fact they are offering performance parts for Infiniti faithful ala F-sport. I hope they continue to follow Lexus and finally have a drivers event so we can drive them and notice the changes.

Not a fan of the add on kit, reminds me of the add on kit on the LS and Corolla.

Seems it has 348hp with the upgrades so hopefully its as fast as an IS 350 now. Wish it had more torque.

Whomever said IPL mean "I Prefer Lexus" "is a genius. :D

jason60050 08-12-10 11:02 AM

Aweful name "IPL"..."G37 IPL" sounds retarded...by a stock one and drop in the aftermarket parts yourself and save some money

TXSTYLE 08-12-10 11:14 AM

Nice!

As a Luxury Brand in this day and age... You MUST have a complete performance line in order to compete... PERIOD!

TXSTYLE 08-12-10 11:20 AM

Of course... They could use MOAR power....! ;)

MPLexus301 08-12-10 11:24 AM

Not really feeling the aero upgrades or rims. The other stuff sounds nice.

TRDFantasy 08-12-10 11:29 AM

I really don't care for the exterior upgrades too much or the interior changes. The power increase is very impressive though. I hope Lexus offers some power increases in the future with F-Sport.

mikemareen 08-12-10 11:32 AM

the aero upgrades are WEAK.

the asians never seem to get it right with the proper aero upgrade.

look at mercedes and their AMG aero across the C, E, and S class.

BALLS OUT AERO, mean, tough, stance, all at the right places.

BMW M series aero....all across the board 3, 5, 7 series...all balls out tough, mean, aggressive yet well balanced, total tough stance at all the right places.

these german cars don't need to be massively slammed, a slight drop and rims get the juices flowing.

these infiniti aero upgrades look like a little ***** for lack of a better word!

bnizzle87 08-12-10 12:46 PM

if infiniti wants to compete against the M, AMG, and F, as stated in the article, im not so sure anything short of a V8 engine + 400hp would suffice. when i read this, i was thinking immediately of a median between the base G37 and the GTR, since both are from the nissan family.

LexFather 08-12-10 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by bnizzle87 (Post 5710761)
if infiniti wants to compete against the M, AMG, and F, as stated in the article, im not so sure anything short of a V8 engine + 400hp would suffice. when i read this, i was thinking immediately of a median between the base G37 and the GTR, since both are from the nissan family.

Infiniti continues to be in a tough position .The Nissan GTR is more expensive by far than any Infiniti and it by far outperforms anything they make.

Not sure why they wont' just rebadge a GTR and add some luxury bits. :uh:

mikemareen 08-12-10 01:26 PM

nissan should've been working on a camry killer rather than a GTR that makes the company zero profits.

i'd be pissed if i was a nissan shareholder.

but hey nissan has always been the "performance" oriented japanese car company so I guess that's what they wanted to do.