Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Parents Magazine Best of 2010

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-10, 11:33 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Post Parents Magazine Best of 2010

For the third straight year, Parents magazine and Edmunds.com have come up with a list of what they've judged as the best family cars on the market.

After judging hundreds of vehicles for performance, reliability, safety, and family-friendly features, they narrowed it down to 15 vehicles in five categories.

Parents Editor in Chief Dana Points showcased three of them on "The Early Show on Saturday Morning."

And we have the complete list for you, as well.

All the cars on the list are budget-friendly: Five start at less than $20,000 and one starts at just $13,300. The Best Family Cars of 2010 feature will appear in the June 2010 issue of Parents magazine, which hits newsstands on May 15.

From the Crossover category:
Honda CR-V
Starts at $21,545
MPG: 21 city/28 highway
Call it a compromise free crossover. The CR-V has a breezy, carlike feel and excellent handling. Its cozy cabin has two glove boxes and handy under-seat compartments to keep all your kids' stuff organized. The rear seats fold down in various configurations, with minimal effort, to fit double strollers and science projects, and loading bulky gear is less laborious thanks to the superlight lift gate and low rear deck. We also like that even the base model comes with a folding center storage tray, front and rear power outlets, and a conversation mirror (which lets you see what's going on in the backseat without having to turn around).
Features:
•Compromise-free crossover
•One of the best choices available in the all important areas of on-road drivability and practicality
•Breezy, carlike feel and excellent handling
•Our readers love the way it drives in all weather conditions
•Cozy cabin with two glove boxes and handy under-seat compartments to keep all the kids' stuff organized
•Rear seats fold down in various configurations with minimal effort. Perfect to fit double strollers and other bulky gear.
•Even the base model has: folding rear storage tray, front and rear power outlets and a conversation mirror which lets you see what's going on in the backseat without turning around
From the Big Car Category:
Chevrolet Traverse
Starts at $29,224
MPG: 16 city/24 highway
It's just as versatile as a minivan, but this sporty SUV has way more street cred. The Traverse is remarkably spacious, with seating for up to eight passengers and a third row that's comfy even for grownups. The second row seats slide forward (perfect positioning for handing your kid his sippy) and back (for tweens who need more legroom). You can get a week's vacation worth of luggage into the rear cargo well, and with the seats folded down this vehicle could almost double as a delivery van. Still, the sure handling will make you forget all about its size.
Features:
•Its nimble handling almost makes you forget how big it is, until you realize that it's….
•Remarkably spacious with seating for up to 8 and a third row that's comfortable enough for grown ups
•The second row slides forward to put kids in perfect position for moms to easily hand back sippy cups or toys
•If you're heading out on a road trip, you could easily fit a week's vacation worth of luggage into the rear cargo area
•Base LS models come with OnStar, satellite radio, a six-speaker CD/MP3 player with an auxiliary audio jack and folding second and third row seats

From the Hybrid category:

Ford Fusion Hybrid
Starts at $27,625
MPG: 41 city/36 highway
Looking for a larger, plusher hybrid? Try the new Fusion, which was named 2010 North American Car of the Year at the Detroit auto show. The ride is luxurious, and the snazzy cabin has power seats and soft ambient lighting. Your kids will love the voice activated Sync audio system, which plays music on command. You'll appreciate the capless gas tank, which keeps your hands clean when you refuel. If you want to spend less, the non-hybrid Fusion starts at an affordable $20,000.
Features:
•Great for green minded families who don't want to sacrifice style, comfort or safety
•Sportier than you expect a hybrid sedan to be
•Can run on battery power alone up to 47 mph
•Luxurious ride
•Comfortable power seats
•Soft ambient interior lighting
•Keyless entry pad
•Kids and parents will love the voice activated Sync system which plays music on command (this is a standard feature)
•Smart Perk: Capless gap tank that lets you keep your hands clean while you refuel

SEDANS
Honda Accord, Price Starts at $21,055, MPG 19 city/31 highway
Subaru Legacy, Price Starts at $19,995, MPG 18 city/31 highway
Volkswagen Jetta TDI, Price Starts at $22,830, MPG 30 city/41 highway

BUDGET
Honda Fit, Price Starts at $14,900, MPG 27 city/35 highway
Mazda 5, Price Starts at $18,510, MPG 21 city/28 highway
Kia Soul, Price Starts at $13,300, MPG 24 city/31 highway

CROSSOVERS
Chevrolet Equinox, Price Starts at $22,615, MPG 17 city/32 highway
Honda CR-V, Price Starts at $21,545, MPG 21 city/28 highway
Toyota RAV4, Price Starts at $21,675, MPG 19 city/28 highway
*Toyota has addressed the accelerator problem (which resulted in a recall for this model last January) in all new RAV4s being sold; we feel comfortable recommending it.

HYBRIDS
Toyota Prius, Price Starts at $22,800, MPG 51 city/48 highway
Honda Insight, Price Starts at $19,800, MPG 40 city/43 highway
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Price Starts at $27,950, MPG 41 city/36 highway
* Toyota has addressed the braking problem (which resulted in a recall in February) in all new Prius models being sold; we feel comfortable recommending it.

BIG CARS
Ford Flex, Price Starts at $28,950, MPG 16 city/24 highway
Honda Odyssey, Price Starts at $26,805, MPG 16 city/24 highway
Chevrolet Traverse, Price Starts at $29,224, MPG 16 city
Old 05-06-10, 12:19 PM
LexFather

I'm glad my family is different than these people

Old 05-06-10, 02:22 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I'm glad my family is different than these people
seriously!! I dont know if I would want to drive any of those cars. They are the standard cars that litter the streets
Old 05-06-10, 02:46 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I figured that the legacy would be on that list. Except they got it wrong. It is rated for 23/31, laudable for a 170 HP AWD midsize.
Old 05-06-10, 03:06 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

I still don't know why this list was posted here. I honestly don't think anyone on this forum cares about any of these cars.
Old 05-06-10, 05:04 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by (Cj)
I still don't know why this list was posted here. I honestly don't think anyone on this forum cares about any of these cars.
Have you noticed that CL attracts a variety of car owners and we discuss everything from Tata to Maybach. If you don't like it then you don't have to be here.
Old 05-06-10, 05:07 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay vehicles, but my family life doesn't box me into these thankfully.

Parents Editor in Chief Dana Points showcased three of them on "The Early Show on Saturday Morning.", now that's some kind of expert.........
Old 05-07-10, 09:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by (Cj)
Incorrect........yes, they do. I myself have reviewed and written up a number of these vehicles, from general CL interest and specific requests I've gotten publically and through PMs. Same with Mike (1SICKLEX).
Old 05-07-10, 09:16 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I figured that the legacy would be on that list. Except they got it wrong. It is rated for 23/31, laudable for a 170 HP AWD midsize.
In theory, the new Legacy/Outback would be an excellent choice, but I'd wait at least another model year....there are issues, on the 2010 models, with the front suspension/steering systems, resulting in wandering, tracking, and steering-wheel shimmy problems that normal alignment/balancing cannot deal with. I have dealt with this specific issue in another thread.
Old 05-07-10, 09:20 AM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Guys lets keep it on topic.

CJ it is your choice to read a thread or not, if you do not like the topic then do not read it.
Old 05-07-10, 09:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Overall, this is an excellent list, though, and I agree with most of it. One factor, though, that needs to be pointed out is that some of the smaller, 4-cylinder powered models may not be suitable for larger families. Their engines sometimes just don't have enough power reserve for handling heavy loads or hilly terrain. It is important for a family to test-drive one under the conditions that they will likely be using it.....not just with a light load of a driver and one or two pasengers.

Part of this, as I see it, is the fault of the manufacturers themselves, for not offering larger engines in the vehicles as an option. The Honda CR-V is a perfect example. Though an excellent vehicle from a build-quality point of view (IMO, one of the best), it lacks a V6 option that the rival RAV-4 does, and forces you into the larger, more expensive Pilot if you want or need the V6.
Old 05-07-10, 09:27 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Overall I agree with these vehicles as being good for families, but only half have any appeal to me.
Old 05-07-10, 12:21 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

The CR-V has always been a terrible accelerator. I'm not so sure that the problem is lacking a V6 so much as it is that Honda's 4 cylinders are getting older.
Old 05-07-10, 12:28 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have no intention of ever purchasing a single one of those cars listed.
Old 05-07-10, 01:58 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
The CR-V has always been a terrible accelerator. I'm not so sure that the problem is lacking a V6 so much as it is that Honda's 4 cylinders are getting older.
Yes a bit slow for my taste too, just like Subaru Outbacks and Foresters with 2.5L normally aspirated 4 bangers. It's more about power to weight ratio with all 3 of the vehicles mentioned (all under 185hp with curb weight north of 3200 pounds).

Quick Reply: Parents Magazine Best of 2010