Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Are intelligent tires in your future?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-10, 11:15 AM
LexFather

Post Are intelligent tires in your future?

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/04/29/a...n-your-future/

Tyres capable of monitoring themselves, road conditions and 'talking' with a vehicle's electronic systems will be available within three years, heralding a revolution in traction technology, according to one of the world's leading automotive sensor developing companies Schrader Electronics.

The development is a quantum leap forward coming just a few years after tyres relied entirely on their mechanical and physical properties for their contribution to a vehicle's driving dynamics. Tyre Pressure Monitoring Systems (TPMS) introduced the concept of combining electronic sensors within a vehicle's tyre and have proven to make a significant contribution to safety and fuel efficiency, all cars will be fitted with this technology by law from 2012 But the arrival of this new technology will change the scope of what can be offered by the only direct interface between the post-Space Age technology of a modern car and what ultimately determines how that vehicle behaves, the road surface.

Already global leader in direct TPMS technology and supplier of half the systems on the roads today, Schrader Electronics is once again leading the way with this exciting new development. It centres on a sensor mounted within the inside of the tyre rather than on the valve or wheel rim as with current direct TPMS. It then transmits information wirelessly to receivers mounted in the vehicle's wheel housing and via the car's ECU to the driver.

This enables a raft of previously unobtainable data to be relayed to the vehicle's ABS, ESP and other electronic systems. Information about the tyre's tread depth, pressure and temperature, along with the shape of its footprint and the amount of load it is under, will be combined with precise readings of road conditions, such as the amount of grip available, to optimise control of the vehicle's dynamics.

Schrader's partnership with tyre company Pirelli on this technology will see the first phase of these tyres arriving in the European market during 2010. Called the 'Cyber Tyre Lean', pressure, temperature, average load and the number of revolutions are measured and fed to the vehicle's electronic systems. The fully intelligent tyre, to be called the 'Cyber Tyre' is expected in the marketplace during 2013.

Vice president of business development, Schrader Electronics, Alfonso Di Pasquale, said: "Schrader is the market leader in tyre sensors and this new development continues our commitment to pushing back the boundaries of technology which can enhance a vehicle's safety and the driving experience."

For further press information please contact either Chris Wakley or Jason Simms at Automotive PR on 020 7494 8050

Old 04-29-10, 11:33 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

they're making this waaay too complicated;
just give me a zero pressure tire that doesn't ride rock hard and I'll be happy.
(my mini cooper s's pirelli runflats are freakin horrible...my C6's were ok)
Old 04-29-10, 11:40 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

most drivers dont need all that information, tire tread can be checked visually
Old 04-29-10, 12:53 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

seems pretty cool and no surprise considering the tire is the most advanced single part of the entire car. The evolution will continue beyond the rubber