Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2010 Toyota Highlander

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-10, 06:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by OCDetailer
I have to ask...

2010 Highlander Limited: $41,236
2010 Highlander Limited

or this:

2010 Lexus RX350 Premium (no Navi)-$41,156
2010 RX350 Premium
For a single guy like me, that would be a no-brainer...the RX, hands-down. Its refinement is simply unmatched in the world of car-based SUVs.

But, if you need the extra space, seating, and cargo capacity of the Highlander, then that's a different matter.

Good review though, as usual Mike.
Thanks, Josh.

Any reviews you can crank out, especially with my wife and I in the car-buying market right now, are well appreciated.
A couple of them are on hold, right now, like the Ford Fiesta and Hyundai Equus, waiting for their release in the American market.
Old 04-23-10, 06:42 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
2 questions, as a potential purchaser:

1. Are the 3rd row seats split or not. You mentioned a 50/50 split, but then said they weren't. I know they weren't in the past, and that has prevented the Highlander from being my top choice.
No, they aren't split. I caught that typo as I was writing it up, and I thought I had corrected it in both areas.....I'll check again.

2. How would you rank the Highlander vs. the Pilot, CX9 and Veracruz?

Thanks!
The Veracruz, as I see it, is marketed one step above the Highlander/Pilot/CX-9 group.....the Santa Fe would, IMO, actually be more compatible.

Without writing another whole review in just a few sentences, basically I like the Highlander and Pilot about equally well for build quality. The Highlander has a more refined drivetrain; the Pilot better road manners. The CX-9 doesn't quite have the build quality (its reliability has been about average), but it also has good road manners. The Pilot's interior, IMO, though well-crafted, is a little plain and disappointing for my tastes.
Old 04-23-10, 06:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I believe that the Highlander hybrid still utilizes the 3.3L V6, which is why its mileage ratings are less than stellar by today's standards.
Thanks......that was another typo. I'll edit it.

It's sometimes hard to do a long review of this length and do a perfect job with typos at all. I appreciate you guys pointing them out.

Agreed...a hybrid four might (?) have given better mileage, but not guaranteed.....this is a big, heavy vehicle, and, even with the electric boost, the four would probably work pretty hard.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-23-10 at 08:48 AM.
Old 04-23-10, 06:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Nice review,Mike.
Thanks.

My daughter has a '10 loaded limited Highlander.
I agree with much of your review.I'm impressed with the ride quality and no rattles.
My daughter commute 110 miles a day and at 7K,not one issue.Not even the recall as her unit was made in Japan.
I find the wood accent cheap looking.The hybrid version wood looks much better.
The Limited's wood trim is a little orangish, but I still like its looks....I guess tastes like that will differ from person to person. The Sport model doesn't have any wood-tone at all.

OC,my daughter had an '09 RX before the Highlander and found it to be much smaller.
The Highlander is much bigger inside and has a third seat.She paid $38K and has every option.About $5K cheaper than the RX comparably equipped.
Yes, if interior space is an issue, then go with the Highlander. But, for me, it would be hard to pass up the RX's unmatched refinement.
Old 04-23-10, 07:04 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks.

The Limited's wood trim is a little orangish, but I still like its looks....I guess tastes like that will differ from person to person. The Sport model doesn't have any wood-tone at all.

Yes, if interior space is an issue, then go with the Highlander. But, for me, would be hard to pass up the RX's unmatched refinement.
The Hybrid has a clear overlay that makes the wood pop.The Highlander has a dull finish that really make the wood look like plastic.
No comparison when it comes to interior space.
I agree the RX is more refined.I just bought a '10 and it's so much better in just about every respect over the last generation RX.
My son in law isn't happy about the MPG in the Highlander.My daughter does about 80%-90% highway with her commute and she's getting 18 miles per gal.
Should be about 22+ according to the 17/23 rating.
Old 04-23-10, 07:33 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Out of curiosity Mike, what do you prefer to the zig-zag shifter? My old 4Runners and Camrys had a straight-back shift pattern which IMO was rather mundane and cheap looking. The zig-zag pattern that they use now is decidedly more upscale looking and even feels better during operation, IMO.
Old 04-23-10, 07:46 AM
danxp
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any idea what the '11 highlander's gonna look like or what they'll add/change? and when do you think it'll make an appearance?
Old 04-23-10, 08:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Out of curiosity Mike, what do you prefer to the zig-zag shifter? My old 4Runners and Camrys had a straight-back shift pattern which IMO was rather mundane and cheap looking. The zig-zag pattern that they use now is decidedly more upscale looking and even feels better during operation, IMO.
Looks are one thing, but I find it a PITA to row a shifter in and out of an obstacle-course each time I want to change direction or put it in and out of PARK. Yes, there are lots worse PITAs, but my personal opinion is that the zig-zag patterns, in most cases, are unnecessary. The whole concept got started because some people simply couldn't look at the shift quadrant and figure out which gear they were in, so the idea was to do it by feel, going left and right.

Yes, I'll agree may "feel better" if you want to play around with the lever, but try shifting quickly and rocking a stuck car, back and forth, out of the snow with the zig-zags. You'll see what I mean. (Of course, most AWD SUVs don't usually get stuck in snowbanks to start with, unless you do something really dumb).
Old 04-23-10, 08:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joeb427
The Hybrid has a clear overlay that makes the wood pop.The Highlander has a dull finish that really make the wood look like plastic.
I generally like flat, matte-wood trim, whether it is plastic or real. Highly-polished wood, while it may be glitzy, doesn't look natural, IMO.

Opinions, of course, differ, on this. some of the smartest-looking wood is actually the matte, light-Birch found on some Volvos.

No comparison when it comes to interior space.
Same way with the Pilot-vs.-MDX. The Pilot trades some luxury and interior trim for more usable space.

I agree the RX is more refined.I just bought a '10 and it's so much better in just about every respect over the last generation RX.
Yes, the 2010 RX is tomb-quiet, and the powertrain is silky-smooth, but the new suspension is slightly stiffer despite taller 60-series tires, and the computer-mouse with the NAV is not one of my favorite designs.

My son in law isn't happy about the MPG in the Highlander.My daughter does about 80%-90% highway with her commute and she's getting 18 miles per gal.
Should be about 22+ according to the 17/23 rating.
Does she drive around regularly with a load in the vehicle....or keep a bunch of unnecessary junk in the cargo area? Weight, of course, often subtracts from mileage. And even highway mileage is going to suffer if there are a lot of steep grades or traffic-jams on it. And does she pay attention to the tire-pressure indicators? Low tire pressure can also affect mileage.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-23-10 at 08:36 AM.
Old 04-23-10, 08:33 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I believe that the Highlander hybrid still utilizes the 3.3L V6, which is why its mileage ratings are less than stellar by today's standards. I wonder what Toyota will do. Will they put the identical powertrain from the RXh into the Highlander? Personally, I don't think it is worth the cost. A smaller engine, with less power would make more sense for this application. Whatever the case the 3.3L is certainly long in the tooth. However, I do see High Hy's all over the place so they must sell even at a $34k base price.
I'd like to see a hybrid version with the new 2.7L I4 already available in the base Highlander.
Old 04-23-10, 08:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by danxp
any idea what the '11 highlander's gonna look like or what they'll add/change? and when do you think it'll make an appearance?
Here's a site that addresses some of that:

http://iguida.com/2011-toyota-highlander
Old 04-23-10, 08:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by (Cj)
I'd like to see a hybrid version with the new 2.7L I4 already available in the base Highlander.
I was wondering the same thing when I looked at the specs, but the hybrid components themselves add weight, and, while I didn't actually sample it, there's reason to suspect, based on the performance of the all-gas V6, that the 2.7L just isn't enough engine for the Highlander, even in the lighter 2WD form.
Old 04-23-10, 08:45 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I generally like flat, matte-wood trim, whether it is plastic or real. Highly-polished wood, while it may be glitzy, doesn't look natural, IMO.

Opinions, of course, differ, on this. some of the smartest-looking wood is actually the matte, light-Birch found on some Volvos.

Same way with the Pilot-vs.-MDX. The Pilot trades some luxury and interior trim for more usable space.

Yes, the 2010 RX is tomb-quiet, and the powertrain is silky-smooth, but the new suspension is slightly stiffer despite taller 60-series tires, and the computer-mouse with the NAV is not one of my favorite designs.

Does she drive around regularly with a load in the vehicle....or keep a bunch of unnecessary junk in the cargo area? Weight, of course, often subtracts from mileage. And even highway mileage is going to suffer if there are a lot of steep grades or traffic-jams on it. And does she pay attention to the tire-pressure indicators? Low tire pressure can also affect mileage.
The wood in the Highlander Limited is dull and very plastic looking.

Mike,I love the mouse vs the touch screen.Screen is higher,no lean over to touch screen and fingerprints.
The '10 is said to have 2 ply side windows upfront to bring down sound.

No real weight in vehicle and tires are at recommended pressure level.
I feel it's the 75 MPH on Rt 80 along with some traffic that kills her mileage.

Last edited by Joeb427; 04-23-10 at 08:49 AM.
Old 04-23-10, 08:47 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by danxp
The Highlander was redesigned in 2008. The refresh should occur for 2011, which will most likely be new grill, head/taillights, options, and wheels.

The next redesign will most likely show up for MY2014.
Old 04-23-10, 08:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
The Highlander was redesigned in 2008. The refresh should occur for 2011, which will most likely be new grill, head/taillights, options, and wheels.

The next redesign will most likely show up for MY2014.
This website addresses some of that, Phil.

http://iguida.com/2011-toyota-highlander

Quick Reply: Review: 2010 Toyota Highlander