Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lincoln MKZ Hybrid (updated and priced at 35k, same as V-6)

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-10, 06:12 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a very competitive car and I hope it does well for Lincoln
Old 07-22-10, 06:22 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Escape and Fusion hybrids command quite the premium. Though, they do have some nice features.
Old 07-22-10, 06:29 AM
acheparev
Driver

My brother has an MKZ, and while it outer styling is not bad, the interior feels cheep and doesn't seem as well built as the HS. I can't imagine they would improve the interior in the hybrid.
Old 07-22-10, 07:16 AM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For those keeping track, that puts the price at about $350 under the base Lexus HS 250h, which would seem to be its main competitor
Other than the fact that these are premium name plates and are both hybrids, I don't see people cross shopping these two vehicles.

The HS seems to be more of a vehicle where someone wants a up-level Prius or something.

At the same time this Lincoln seems to be more of a vehicle that people with a little more money would purchase instead of the Fusion hybrid. People that are hung up on having to own a hybrid that is....

Maybe I'm way off base... but then again I've never considered owning any hybrid vehicles.
Old 07-22-10, 07:19 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Awesome!

Ford is playing the game well. Lexus needs to prove they can do better.

The next gen ES is coming in two-years; let's hope for a better hybrid option for that model...
Old 07-22-10, 10:05 AM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Very nice! Hope it sells well for Ford...
Old 07-22-10, 10:09 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

If I was to go Hybrid,I'd buy the MKZ over an HS in a heartbeat.
Old 07-22-10, 10:16 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Thats one hell of a deal. I really like the look of the this vehicle ( and I usually hate American cars). Ford has done a really nice job with this car. I think consumers would have to be pretty dense not to go with the hybrid for the same price.
Old 07-22-10, 11:25 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unlike most other hybrid vehicles, there will be no price premium compared to the cheapest conventional model. The MKZ hybrid, with its 2.5-liter four cylinder hybrid powertrain, will start at $35,180 including destination and delivery. That's the same price as the front-wheel drive 3.5-liter V6-powered model.
The media always amuses me...

I guess that means they'll have no issues with a 2.0T priced the same as a 3.0 V6 if they both produce 200hp, right?
Old 07-22-10, 02:20 PM
jason60050
Driver

The only problem I have with this product line (MKZ, Fusion, Milan) is that they are all assembled in Mexico. I don't have anything against Mexico I just have some bad experience with other makes that were assembled in Mexico.
Old 07-22-10, 07:50 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
If I was to go Hybrid,I'd buy the MKZ over an HS in a heartbeat.
My thoughts exactly
Old 10-26-10, 09:49 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Actually just noticed this car (online ad).

Although I would also go with the Fusion Hybrid for better looks and savings,
this is another remarkable offering from Ford even though it's basically a luxury Fusion.

What surprised me most, was actually that they priced this the same as the straight gas version. So either Ford is making a killing on the regular version, or they're losing money (or breaking even) on the hybrid. Question is, why would someone buy the regular version? Unless they have preconceived negative notions about hybrids.

And sorry to say, but this blows away the HS250. 40 mpg compared to 35. Normal looking and conventional (interior too). Although I do like the futuristic HS interior, but many may not.

So basically, outside of the Prius, we have Toyota in the position of playing catchup to Ford (in not all areas, but many). Although Toyota offers a lot more hybrids, Ford is winning the fuel efficiency war model to model. Unbelievable considering Ford was known as the most gas guzzling full line automaker just 5 years ago.

According to EPA...

Fusion Hybrid trumps Camry Hybrid (& MKZh beats HS250)
Fiesta eclipses Yaris and all other sub-compacts
2012 Focus will beat all compacts (except Cruze)
Escape & Hybrid beat everything in their class
Old 10-26-10, 09:58 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nextourer
The media always amuses me...

I guess that means they'll have no issues with a 2.0T priced the same as a 3.0 V6 if they both produce 200hp, right?
This is a reasonable point. Still, this hybrid powertrain's gotta cost Ford a lot more than a conventional V-6.

But yeah, those that want the power of a V-6 have a clear choice.

Originally Posted by jason60050
The only problem I have with this product line (MKZ, Fusion, Milan) is that they are all assembled in Mexico. I don't have anything against Mexico I just have some bad experience with other makes that were assembled in Mexico.
And the only problem with this argument is that the Fusion/Milan created a whole new standard for quality/reliability for American branded cars. No American car before it in history has been more trouble free. And it's the first American car to be equaled to the Camry and Accord in initial quality.
Old 10-26-10, 10:09 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb Engine Prices

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
What surprised me most, was actually that they priced this the same as the straight gas version. So either Ford is making a killing on the regular version, or they're losing money (or breaking even) on the hybrid. Question is, why would someone buy the regular version? Unless they have preconceived negative notions about hybrids.
This is just clever marketing as the premium for the hybrid is hidden in the engine price difference. The hybrid has an i4 engine which is cheaper than the v6 engine in the regular model ... if the hybrid had a v6 & cost the same, now that would be something.
Old 10-26-10, 10:53 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS69
This is just clever marketing as the premium for the hybrid is hidden in the engine price difference. The hybrid has an i4 engine which is cheaper than the v6 engine in the regular model ... if the hybrid had a v6 & cost the same, now that would be something.
Yes but the difference in reality has to put the total cost of producing this i4 hybrid powertrain (more advanced that anything Honda has) more than a conventional V6. Everyone makes tons of V6's. Ford's hybrid system is extremely complicated, much like Toyota's.

Price premiums for adding 2 cylinders (4 to 6, 6 to 8, ect.) have always been inflated, IMO. It doesn't cost the automaker a typical $3K or so more to put in a V-6 over a 4 if most other aspects of the car is unchanged. Sure, sometimes you have suspension changes and almost always wheel differences, but still.

Really, you're paying for the horsepower/torque increase, which of course is simply the result of a larger engine. Who wouldn't pay $3K for 100 more HP?
If you were simply paying for the added materials/tech, the premium would be a lot smaller.

Quick Reply: Lincoln MKZ Hybrid (updated and priced at 35k, same as V-6)