Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

500 dollar junker beets 400k cars in a rally race

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-10, 08:57 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 500 dollar junker beets 400k cars in a rally race

Long live the BMW E30

http://jalopnik.com/5497042/how-a-50...k-rally-racers
Old 03-24-10, 09:10 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

The headline is not completely accurate.

While he bought the car for $500, he spent time and money on fixing various problems he had on it, renting a van, welding, and buying new tires.

Not everyone has the skill to weld an FIA-legal roll cage into a car.

The story also mentions he used a bunch of credit cards, but it doesn't go into detail explaining that.

There is also the cost of things like his racing suit, which I'm not sure if he paid for or if he got it somehow for free.

An amazing story showing what determination and will can achieve, but nonetheless a misleading headline.
Old 03-24-10, 09:26 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
The headline is not completely accurate.

While he bought the car for $500, he spent time and money on fixing various problems he had on it, renting a van, welding, and buying new tires.

Not everyone has the skill to weld an FIA-legal roll cage into a car.

The story also mentions he used a bunch of credit cards, but it doesn't go into detail explaining that.

There is also the cost of things like his racing suit, which I'm not sure if he paid for or if he got it somehow for free.

An amazing story showing what determination and will can achieve, but nonetheless a misleading headline.
is it not a 500 dollar junker? did it not beat 400k cars? How much text can you put in a title
Old 03-24-10, 09:29 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bad co
is it not a 500 dollar junker? did it not beat 400k cars? How much text can you put in a title
The car he bought for $500 is not exactly the same car that raced in the rally. That is why it's misleading.

He didn't simply take that $500 car as-is and go enter a rally race right away.
Old 03-24-10, 09:49 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
The car he bought for $500 is not exactly the same car that raced in the rally. That is why it's misleading.

He didn't simply take that $500 car as-is and go enter a rally race right away.
Mike 1sicklex had thread called "topless drag racing" isnt that misleading too and guess what it wasnt even his idea it was Motor Treands. See the simmilarity or do I have to go into depth?
Old 03-24-10, 10:08 PM
Oleg400
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

What seems misleading? Nothing seemed misleading to me.
Car bought for 500 bucks he put allot of time and some more $$$ into it and beat cars worth 100x the price he spent, the end.
Awesome story, RWD pwning awd rally cars.
Old 03-24-10, 10:14 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

alot work went into that beamer...
Old 03-24-10, 10:17 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by bad co
Mike 1sicklex had thread called "topless drag racing" isnt that misleading too and guess what it wasnt even his idea it was Motor Treands. See the simmilarity or do I have to go into depth?
To clarify,he basically wants the whole story to be in the headline and the story itself would start and end with a period. Headlines aren't suppose grab attention remember?

I wouldn't have the ***** to race a $500 junker. I'd be too weary about rust and such.
Old 03-24-10, 10:21 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

cool story brah
Old 03-24-10, 10:37 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Right, so headlines are supposed grab attention at any cost, even if they're misleading?

That's why North American media is in such a sad state.

Here's a headline that would have easily worked:

"junker originally picked up for $500 later goes on to beat 400K cars in rally".

Simple headline, still grabs your attention, AND it's not misleading.
Old 03-24-10, 11:37 PM
GSteg
Rookie

$500 junker...check
$400k car...check
beats it in a rally...check

Where is the false advertisement?

Your new title is quite long and it's basically saying the same thing, but the original one will grab more attention. Of course there is more to it than that, hence the story that follows the headlines. They want you to read it
Old 03-25-10, 12:08 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

My headline is barely longer than the original. Online blogs do not have a space limit like newspapers do, this is no excuse.

The false advertisement is the junker was picked up for $500, but it was NOT raced as-is, with no work.

A LOT of work went into the car before it could enter a rally, thus making it no longer "a junker" when it actually did participate in the rally.

How is that NOT misleading?

Plus the author of this disclosed the guy who bought the car, did work on it, and raced it is a good friend of his. Yes, nothing misleading here, making his friend's story seem more spectacular than it really is .

So if I go pick up some junker for $500, invest say $10,000 dollars worth of work into it, and enter a race, is it still "just a $500 junker"? Of course not.
Old 03-25-10, 01:38 PM
bluerex
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

who is going to win this argument...
Old 03-25-10, 03:20 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by bluerex
who is going to win this argument...

Definitely not me. He's looking way too much into it to actually enjoy reading the article. Nitpicking at its best I tell you.

Funny thing is that whenever there is a Toyota article with an 'exaggerated' title, the reply usually ends up with something like "well done, congratulations, that is amazing!" But this story gets criticized for its headlines? For God sakes it's just a blog, not the Declaration of Independence.

Regardless of the title, the story goes to show that more money isn't going to win you more trophies. You need dedication and these guys did good job for a $500 craigslist beater. Doesn't matter if they were building up an old E30 or a POS Geo Metro, it's quite an accomplishment.
Old 03-25-10, 03:50 PM
bluerex
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NICE find none the less

Originally Posted by GSteg
Definitely not me. He's looking way too much into it to actually enjoy reading the article. Nitpicking at its best I tell you.

Funny thing is that whenever there is a Toyota article with an 'exaggerated' title, the reply usually ends up with something like "well done, congratulations, that is amazing!" But this story gets criticized for its headlines? For God sakes it's just a blog, not the Declaration of Independence.

Regardless of the title, the story goes to show that more money isn't going to win you more trophies. You need dedication and these guys did good job for a $500 craigslist beater. Doesn't matter if they were building up an old E30 or a POS Geo Metro, it's quite an accomplishment.

Quick Reply: 500 dollar junker beets 400k cars in a rally race