Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What variants of the CT do you think Lexus should make?
CT Coupe, please.
14.29%
It's about F'in time. We need a CT F, pronto.
7.14%
Why can't we have a CT Coupe AND a CT F?
38.10%
CT F Coupe for me!
7.14%
WTH? The IS doesn't even have a Coupe?!
11.90%
RSX much? Who in the world wants a FWD Coupe/F?
11.90%
I hate polls
4.76%
none of the above?
4.76%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

CT Coupe, CT F, Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-10, 10:04 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
A coupe should definitely be available, although I'm not so sure about an F version. Offering an F version of a hybrid doesn't seem right.
Originally Posted by mmarshall
Agreed on both, but not an F-Hybrid. As TRD says, that would be apples and oranges.
Well one thing I find interesting is that Lexus hasn't really advertised the CT as a "dedicated hybrid" like they did the HS. That means a non-hybrid F model wouldn't be out of the picture. My view of a CT F would simply be a 3.5L V6 with DI, and a torque vectoring AWD system. It doesn't have to be a hybrid.
Old 03-06-10, 11:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by (Cj)
Well one thing I find interesting is that Lexus hasn't really advertised the CT as a "dedicated hybrid" like they did the HS. That means a non-hybrid F model wouldn't be out of the picture. My view of a CT F would simply be a 3.5L V6 with DI, and a torque vectoring AWD system. It doesn't have to be a hybrid.
OK....I see what you mean. Yes, I'll agree with that possibility. I thought you (and TRD) were referring to a F-series hybrid, not two separate versions.

But, yes, if they decide to do both, it might work. A big consideration, though, is if there will be enough left in the budget to do that. Toyota and Lexus are (probably) going to end up paying out lots of $$$$$ in litigation settlements, whether deserved or not, and that will likely impact on future budgets.
Old 03-06-10, 11:52 AM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
It sure does, if you simply photoshop the regular 5-door CT into a 3-door .

A 3-door CT I would think would have different proportions and dimensions.
Why? This isn't a sedan-to-coupe conversion, this a four-to-two door hatchback conversion. Every 2 and 4 door hatchback I can think of has no proportion/dimension difference between them, just the addition or removal of doors. Look at the VW Golf for instance.

WOULD SOMEONE CHOP A REAL CT COUPE PLEASE
I'm sorry, what exactly is a "real" CT coupe, then?

And if both you guys are talking about a three-box coupe like the 1er coupe or I guess the G37 coupe, Lexus won't even make an IS coupe, what makes you guys think them making a CT coupe out of a HATCHBACK is even a remote possibility?
Old 03-06-10, 12:01 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Ok I'm going to post this to get everyones creative juices flowing. I myself do not have photoshop and this picture is crude and ugly but hopefully it will inspire someone to do something better
Attached Thumbnails CT Coupe, CT F, Anyone?-ct-coupe.jpg  
Old 03-06-10, 12:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by knihc2008
I'm sorry, what exactly is a "real" CT coupe, then?
Good point. I agree. In fact, some "coupes" even have more than 2 doors.....like the small half-rear-doors found on the Mazda RX-8 and the former Saturn Ion "coupe".

But I think that the point that the former poster was getting to was that he fells that a proper "coupe" should not simply be a 4-door hatchback/wagon scaled down to two doors. If you consider a coupe, like some people do, to be a two-door with a separate trunk and not a hatchback, then, in that sense, he has a point.
Old 03-06-10, 12:09 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Lexus won't even make an IS coupe, what makes you guys think them making a CT coupe out of a HATCHBACK is even a remote possibility?
There's an option on the poll for people with your viewpoint

But as I said BMW has a hatch and coupe version for the 1 series, so why not Lexus
Old 03-06-10, 12:12 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

There's an option on the poll for people with your viewpoint

But as I said BMW has a hatch and coupe version for the 1 series, so why not Lexus
Because like I said, Lexus doesn't even have a coupe version for their IS. Personally I would like to see a proper IS coupe before seeing Lexus attempt to turn an already misproportioned hatchback into a coupe. Not to mention, a coupe variant would have next to zero rear seat space and headroom. I was just trying to conjure up something realistic, something that we MIGHT see in the future, like a 3 door version of the CT hatchback.

Last edited by knihc2008; 03-06-10 at 12:16 PM.
Old 03-06-10, 12:25 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Because like I said, Lexus doesn't even have a coupe version for their IS. Personally I would like to see a proper IS coupe before seeing Lexus attempt to turn an already misproportioned hatchback into a coupe.
Well yes I agree Lexus needs a real IS Coupe before they need a CT Coupe, but having both in the lineup would be great. An IS Coupe will probably come next year when the IS get's remodeled, and a CT Coupe could come at the CT's refresh a few years down the road.

Anyway, an IS350 Coupe would be pretty pricey, so a more entry level CT Coupe in the low $30s would be cool...
Old 03-06-10, 12:36 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Well yes I agree Lexus needs a real IS Coupe before they need a CT Coupe, but having both in the lineup would be great. An IS Coupe will probably come next year when the IS get's remodeled, and a CT Coupe could come at the CT's refresh a few years down the road.

Anyway, an IS350 Coupe would be pretty pricey, so a more entry level CT Coupe in the low $30s would be cool...
Agreed

Would love to see a fuel efficient, nimble and practical four-door hatchback CT-F though
Old 03-06-10, 01:09 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Looks like a 35k civic. Pass

CT F....you guys are joking right??
Old 03-06-10, 01:12 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Looks like a 35k civic. Pass

CT F....you guys are joking right??
muahahahhaa

Last edited by knihc2008; 03-06-10 at 03:18 PM.
Old 03-06-10, 01:17 PM
LexFather

How on earth does it look like a civic?

I would support an AWD or so CT F.

Old 03-06-10, 01:26 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Its a small hatch back. It actually looks more like a Mazda speed 3. At best it looks like a feminized IS hatch back. Not my cup of tea. Maybe I will get a chance to drive oner as a loaner one day but for a man of my build and personal taste I am not feeling it at all. Sometimes when you see the model in person it changes your mind.

I will admit the LFA wheels made a huge imporvement
Old 03-06-10, 06:18 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

I would much rather see an actual coupe, not a 3 door hatchback. I'm not much of a Photoshop artist but, What do yo think?

Old 03-06-10, 10:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
How on earth does it look like a civic?
You're right, Mike; it doesn't look like a recent Civic, but it DOES like very much like the early-mid 1990's Civic hatchback, especially towards the rear. I knew it well.....my brother owned one for 5 years.

Quick Reply: CT Coupe, CT F, Anyone?