Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Contacting previous owner - Appropriate?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-10, 07:49 PM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Contacting previous owner - Appropriate?

I was hoping to get some opinions on this matter. I bought a fantastic used 01 ES300 from a Lexus dealership back in December for a great deal. So far it's been a great car leaving me with only a few questions about minor issue's most of which I have resolved. Shortly after buying the car and leafing through the manual I came across a repair slip tucked in the back of the booklet from 2004. Besides the routine repairs that were done it also lists the previous owner's name, number and address. The person even happens to live in the same town as me.

I have here a somewhat unique opportunity to get some questions answered about my car. But I don't want to be intrusive. Had I bought the vehicle from the person directly I wouldn't have any hesitation in contacting the previous owner, but instead I bought it from a dealership and found out their info only by chance. I'd like to be optimistic and think that the person would be friendly and wouldn't mind offering up some info (I know I would if I ever sold my Cadillac for instance), but I'm also willing to admit that perhaps that isn't the case.

Opinions?
Old 02-23-10, 08:13 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Inappropriate...I would not recommend calling the previous owner.

The dealer made a mistake by not make sure that the slip was not in the car.
Old 02-23-10, 08:14 PM
LexFather

I think once you brief the person that you bought the car and found their info and had some questions they should be fine. Otherwise they will surely tell you otherwise lol.

We have had many cases on this forum where someone bought a Lexus and eventually they find out it was someone elses on this forum and the two chat.

I wouldn't have any issue with it.

Old 02-23-10, 11:31 PM
BLK98GS3
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont see it being an issue
Old 02-23-10, 11:38 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I wouldnt mind at all seeing as how you arent calling to accuse him of anything.
Old 02-24-10, 04:29 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
I wouldnt mind at all seeing as how you arent calling to accuse him of anything.
I agree. I donated an old car to Goodwill a few years ago, which was sold at auction, and some guy called me out of the blue asking Q's about the car. It was a little awkward at first--but once I was sure he wasn't accusatory, or anything like that, it was fine. Just be polite, and tell him right away you just want to ask him a couple simple Q's.
Old 02-24-10, 04:39 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by GoodRevs
I was hoping to get some opinions on this matter. I bought a fantastic used 01 ES300 from a Lexus dealership back in December for a great deal. So far it's been a great car leaving me with only a few questions about minor issue's most of which I have resolved. Shortly after buying the car and leafing through the manual I came across a repair slip tucked in the back of the booklet from 2004. Besides the routine repairs that were done it also lists the previous owner's name, number and address. The person even happens to live in the same town as me.

I have here a somewhat unique opportunity to get some questions answered about my car. But I don't want to be intrusive. Had I bought the vehicle from the person directly I wouldn't have any hesitation in contacting the previous owner, but instead I bought it from a dealership and found out their info only by chance. I'd like to be optimistic and think that the person would be friendly and wouldn't mind offering up some info (I know I would if I ever sold my Cadillac for instance), but I'm also willing to admit that perhaps that isn't the case.

Opinions?
I don't think it's a problem.
BTW,did you ever buy the '10 RX 350?
Old 02-24-10, 06:04 AM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks for the opinions guys. I was leaning towards giving the person a call, and the worst that can happen is that they'll hang up. I figure if I'm polite, explain myself and my intentions it shouldn't be an issue. I'll call this weekend and report back.

Originally Posted by Joeb427
BTW,did you ever buy the '10 RX 350?
Yep, it arrived a few weeks ago. I've been meaning to get all our cars together for a nice photo shoot in a great spot I have picked out but it's proven difficult to get them all together at the same time since we keep the Cadillac garaged up at our lake house. I did however snap a picture of it on my phone the other day, you can also see my ES in the corner,

Old 02-24-10, 06:06 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by GoodRevs
Thanks for the opinions guys. I was leaning towards giving the person a call, and the worst that can happen is that they'll hang up. I figure if I'm polite, explain myself and my intentions it shouldn't be an issue. I'll call this weekend and report back.

Yep, it arrived a few weeks ago. I've been meaning to get all our cars together for a nice photo shoot in a great spot I have picked out but it's proven difficult to get them all together at the same time since we keep the Cadillac garaged up at our lake house. I did however snap a picture of it on my phone the other day, you can also see my ES in the corner,

Nice!
Old 02-24-10, 06:34 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

There was a discount tire receipt in the glove box so I contacted the previous owner of my Prius just to ask them if they had the 2nd Smartkey. They had given both of them to the dealer (which eventually found it). This person had no issues speaking to me about everything they had done to the car -- problems, alignments, etc.
Old 02-24-10, 08:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I don't see any issue with it, either. In fact, when you talk with this person, you might want to offer to mail the piece of paper back to him/her, so no one else will get it, with the promise that you won't divulge any information. That's what I would at least offer to do.
Old 02-24-10, 09:21 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see it as appropriate if done with common courtesy. I would not hesitate.
Old 02-24-10, 10:32 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I used to be a Corvette owner and I had no qualms tracking down past owners of my '81. They were glad to hear that the car was doing fine. I'd like if the current owner of my '81 tracked me down. My mechanic said he had new new heads and a cam installed and the car runs like a scalded cat.
Old 02-24-10, 11:07 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I dont think I would have an issue if the owner of my G35 called me to ask about the million mods I did to the car. I think it would be a blast to the past
Old 02-24-10, 12:26 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Personally i would love to hear from owners of my previous cars just to know how there doin. I once thought about trying to contact the previous owner of my LS but dont have his/her info and i will not go trying to research it neither. Now that, i think, would be kinda creepy.

Quick Reply: Contacting previous owner - Appropriate?