Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

300-HP 2011 Volvo S60 w/Torque Vectoring AWD Debuts (now priced)

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-10, 11:24 AM
R1R
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love it, thank goodness for Volvo. Something fresh and original, while still being classy.

I really like how Volvo incorporates Scandinavian design into their products. Kudo's!
Old 02-09-10, 11:32 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like this (but not as much as the refreshed C30 and new S80), but no manual? Come on, Volvo.
Old 02-09-10, 11:50 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Looks like Volvo has a hit on their hands, hopefully the public will see this. Also wow, with 300hp and 325lb-ft, they've essentially remade the old S60 R which had AWD and 300 hp and 295 lb·ft!!
Old 02-09-10, 12:03 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Great specs and a pretty decent-looking interior, but I am definitely not a fan of the exterior. Where is the clean, sophisticated European look of previous Volvos? The front end looks like a Nissan, and rear looks like a Honda.

On that note, it seems like a lot of the competition is getting torque-vectoring AWD. I have to agree that there is even less reason now to buy an Acura. Although the exterior is not to my liking, I would choose this car over a TSX or TL.
I'm not "in love" with the exterior either, but it's pretty new, clean, and fresh. A lot of people would have complained if it looked the same as the last generation (ahem... Audi).

Anyway this car is likely going to look much better in person, especially in a different color...

And yes I agree I have no idea who would even buy an Acura RL over this.
Old 02-09-10, 12:12 PM
wmb0000
Pole Position

Originally Posted by (Cj)
I'm not "in love" with the exterior either, but it's pretty new, clean, and fresh. A lot of people would have complained if it looked the same as the last generation (ahem... Audi).

Anyway this car is likely going to look much better in person, especially in a different color...

Definitely a sleek looking Volvo.

But why wouldn't other buy an Acura over this? Acura still have the rank up there for reliability. It's like saying when seeing the Genesis who would buy an ES350?
Old 02-09-10, 12:18 PM
balutsc300
Lead Lap

the rear looks like a honda civic imo but it really does look sleek
Old 02-09-10, 12:26 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Audi, Porsche, BMW, Volvo have it (anyone else)? Lexus will have a RWD system in the GS supposedly. And they don't have the ricer name Super handling awd.
GS is supposedly getting a RWD-biased torque-vectoring system? Spy scoop !

Ford may or may not have it, and correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the GT-R have torque vectoring as well?

Hopefully in-person and in a different color it should look better.

I've been a fan of Volvos for a long time, and I really like the ride/handling dynamics of most Volvos .
Old 02-09-10, 12:57 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

iono, its very E class in the headlights area. Looks like an improvement overall though. I dont know what lexus has in store for the GS, but if they go for the square headlights, it will look very similar to this and the E
Old 02-09-10, 01:02 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by wmb0000
But why wouldn't other buy an Acura over this? Acura still have the rank up there for reliability.
yep, and you could steal a RL (used) right now... http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false
Old 02-09-10, 01:22 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Now the real question is "Who the hell would buy an Acura over this?"

I also question who would buy a Saab over this as well. I hope the price is reasonable.
I'd take the 9-5 over this, but Acura does have a chance in comparisson to this Volvo.
Old 02-09-10, 01:37 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I'd take the 9-5 over this, but Acura does have a chance in comparisson to this Volvo.
The new 9-5 looks a little dated already in my opinion, but it does have a somewhat classier look. Anyway it's specs don't even come close to matching the S60, and I'm sure the S60's interior will have better materials than the 9-5.

Definitely a sleek looking Volvo.

But why wouldn't other buy an Acura over this? Acura still have the rank up there for reliability. It's like saying when seeing the Genesis who would buy an ES350?
Acura and Volvo are in the same class. Hyundai and Lexus are not.

Volvo usually finishes higher than most other Euro manufacturers in reliability. Consumer Reports rates the current S60 "much better than average" for reliability.
Old 02-09-10, 01:41 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

I never know quite what to think about Volvo.

I think this looks ok ... but I'm not sure, though I do feel confused about it.
Old 02-09-10, 01:49 PM
wmb0000
Pole Position

The new 9-5 looks a little dated already in my opinion, but it does have a somewhat classier look. Anyway it's specs don't even come close to matching the S60, and I'm sure the S60's interior will have better materials than the 9-5.

Acura and Volvo are in the same class. Hyundai and Lexus are not.

Volvo usually finishes higher than most other Euro manufacturers in reliability. Consumer Reports rates the current S60 "much better than average" for reliability.
Not talking about the whole Hyundai line up just the Genesis. On spec the Genesis should kill ES350. But you know what I will still take the ES350 over the Genesis anyday because I like it's look and it's interior and quietness. Acura vs this new volvo, people will still buy acura, but all this is just our opinion. Thier sale goal is 90000 right .. will see how they do when it goes on sale. Only sale will speak the truth.
Old 02-09-10, 01:56 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Not talking about the whole Hyundai line up just the Genesis. On spec the Genesis should kill ES350. But you know what I will still take the ES350 over the Genesis anyday because I like it's look and it's interior and quietness. Acura vs this new volvo, people will still buy acura, but all this is just our opinion. Thier sale goal is 90000 right .. will see how they do when it goes on sale. Only sale will speak the truth.
I think that sales goal is global? Anyway, Acura has bled a lot of customers because of their new styling so I wouldn't be surprised if a few Acura TL SH-AWD customers cross-shopped the S60. I also wouldn't be surprised if a few of those customers actually bought the S60 over the TSX or TL.

I don't see how a Genesis versus ES comparison is even relevant to this discussion of Volvo versus Acura. Volvo and Acura are both near luxury brands so its more likely that consumers will cross-shop between the two brands. Hyundai is no where near the level Lexus is so it's less likely people will cross-shopped between the two brands. Most probably cross-shop the Genesis with the Nissan Maxima or Chrysler 300C.
Old 02-09-10, 01:58 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The asymmetric A/C vents are weird.

Otherwise, I like it!

Quick Reply: 300-HP 2011 Volvo S60 w/Torque Vectoring AWD Debuts (now priced)