Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

is lexus affected by the toyota recall?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-10, 05:03 AM
is250gurl
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default is lexus affected by the toyota recall?

just wondering if the is or any other lexus models are affected by the recent gas pedal recall by toyota. i haven't seen anything about it.
Old 02-04-10, 05:27 AM
dappy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So far, only the 2006-2010 Lexus ISx50 and ES350 are affected by the gas accelerator recall. Read the article below as posted on NHTSA website.

Toyota Announces Fix for Accelerator Pedal Entrapment Problem

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration today announced that Toyota has identified a vehicle-based remedy to fix a sudden acceleration safety issue involving floor mats trapping accelerator pedals in various Toyota and Lexus models. Toyota announced the recall of these vehicles in early October and said it would soon develop a vehicle-based remedy to reduce the risk of a crash due to accelerator pedal entrapment.

The models involved in the recall are: 2007 to 2010 MY Camry, 2005 to 2010 MY Avalon, 2004 to 2009 MY Prius, 2005-2010 MY Tacoma, 2007-2010 MY Tundra, 2007-2010 MY ES 350, 2006-2010 MY IS 250, and 2006 to 2010 MY IS 350.

NHTSA said Toyota plans to reconfigure the accelerator pedal, and in some cases the shape of the floor surface under the pedal, to address the risk of pedal entrapment due to floor mat interference, particularly with regard to inappropriate or improperly attached floor mats. At the same time, Toyota will develop replacement pedals for these vehicles, which will become available for some models in April 2010. Toyota will provide owners with the new pedal, when it becomes available, even if the vehicle has already received the modified pedal under the recall.

In addition, vehicles with any genuine Toyota or Lexus accessory all-weather floor mats will be provided with newly-designed replacement driver- and front-passenger side all-weather mats.

NHTSA also said that Toyota will, in addition to these announced vehicle-based remedies, install a brake override system on the involved Camry, Avalon and Lexus ES 350, IS 350 and IS 250 models as an “extra measure of confidence.” The brake override system would ensure the vehicle would stop if both the brake and the accelerator pedals are simultaneously applied. NHTSA is particularly pleased that Toyota is taking this additional step.

NHTSA said that Toyota intends to notify vehicle owners on a rolling basis, starting with owners of the ES 350, Camry, and Avalon vehicles. While awaiting Toyota's notification, NHTSA urges owners to remove all removable driver's side floor mats and not replace them until their vehicles have received the remedies being provided by Toyota. Toyota will begin making the necessary fixes to the recalled vehicles beginning early in 2010, perhaps in January. Initially, Toyota dealers will be instructed on how to reshape existing accelerator pedals. Later, replacement accelerator pedals will be available for installation on vehicles not yet remedied or, if the owner so chooses, even to replace the modified pedals.

For more information, consumers are urged to contact Toyota at 1-800-331-4331 or the NHTSA hotline at 1-888-327-4236.
Old 02-04-10, 05:27 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by is250gurl
just wondering if the is or any other lexus models are affected by the recent gas pedal recall by toyota. i haven't seen anything about it.
No, they aren't. The recall only impacts some toyota models built in the US with a specific gas pedal.

All lexus models (apart from I think the RX built in Canada) are built in Japan.
Old 02-04-10, 06:02 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I got a call from Lexus that more info with follow shortly, I think so. I also got a call about my 4Runner, which also was not listed as being affected.

Koz
Old 02-04-10, 06:10 AM
IntegresS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lexus (and Scion) vehicles are not affected by the Toyota recalls because the recall affected pedal is confined to one of Toyota's suppliers. That supplier's pedals are not used on Lexus or Scion vehicles.

Also, the pedal (CTS) is used on vehicles made in North America, therefore vehicles manufactured in Japan will not be affected, as they use a pedal provided by a different supplier.
Old 02-04-10, 06:14 AM
is250gurl
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

if not the pedal i wonder if they will install the computer fix.
Old 02-04-10, 06:41 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

The death (Policeman & family) that cause all the problems for Toyota was in a Lexus ES350!

Koz
Old 02-04-10, 06:41 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I would love a free replacement all weather floormat as my driver side one is starting to wear out.
Old 02-04-10, 06:52 AM
venZon
Lexus Test Driver

I got a letter notifying that changes might happen. But not for sure.

Reshape pedal
Secure floor mat
Reprogram computer to shut off if gas and brake are pressed at the same time.

I don't think I'm going to do it tho if they offer it since mine is 6MT. When I drive spiritedly I sometimes heel toe corners.
Old 02-04-10, 07:00 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

^^^ I do the same, if you don't have the sport pedals you should get them. They make heel toe downshifts a lot easier.
Old 02-04-10, 07:16 AM
venZon
Lexus Test Driver

OEM sport pedals?

I want to get the short throw this spring too.
Old 02-04-10, 08:17 AM
quang
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

There are 2 gas pedal recalls, one is due to all-weather floor mat, one is due to sticky gas pedal. Lexus is not affected by the later.
Old 02-04-10, 08:19 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz
The death (Policeman & family) that cause all the problems for Toyota was in a Lexus ES350!

Koz
Not exactly, no.

THERE ARE TWO COMPLETELY DIFFERENT RECALLS GOING ON

One is a couple months old now, and it is because some idiot dealership put the wrong floormats in a loaner ES350, the mat slipped and got the gas pedal stuck, and killed the family driving the car.

As a result Lexus/Toyota grossly over-reacted and issued a totally pointless recall to "fix" the problem of people being too stupid to use the correct floormats, properly secured, in their vehicles.

The second issue, that was recalled just last week, is for a physical defect in the gas pedal on some US-built Toyota (NOT Lexus) vehicles.

All Lexus cars are built in Japan and aren't impacted, at all, by this action.

Hope this clarifies things a bit.
Old 02-04-10, 10:46 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Not exactly, no.

THERE ARE TWO COMPLETELY DIFFERENT RECALLS GOING ON

One is a couple months old now, and it is because some idiot dealership put the wrong floormats in a loaner ES350, the mat slipped and got the gas pedal stuck, and killed the family driving the car.

As a result Lexus/Toyota grossly over-reacted and issued a totally pointless recall to "fix" the problem of people being too stupid to use the correct floormats, properly secured, in their vehicles.

The second issue, that was recalled just last week, is for a physical defect in the gas pedal on some US-built Toyota (NOT Lexus) vehicles.

All Lexus cars are built in Japan and aren't impacted, at all, by this action.

Hope this clarifies things a bit.
The above is a great reply. I spoke to the dealership last week and was told that the fix for the IS is relocating the gas pedal up ~.5". Intsall a new mounting bracket.

The ES recal campaign goes first. When the wave dies down from the ES service, the IS owners will get new letters. I got an initial letter saying my VIN fell wihin the recall. So I know its coming!
Old 02-04-10, 09:39 PM
L3XUS06
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, i will CONFIRM that all 06-present IS models, as well as 07-present ES models will be included in the campaign, which will shave off some of the gas pedal, and even dig into the floor below the pedal a bit to make a larger gap. They will also reprogram the system so that is the gas pedal was to get stuck, when you hit the brakes, the engine would shut off. All weather floor mats will also be changed for the driver and passenger side. I know this because i WORK at a Lexus Dealership here in Cincinnati, and all of the ES's are coming in now. Ohh, PS everyone....when you take your IS in for the campaign in a month or so, make sure you bring it in on Empty because we (the dealership) fill all gas tanks up complimentary!!

Quick Reply: is lexus affected by the toyota recall?