Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus SC 430 to End Production, Japanese Special Edition Revealed

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-10, 11:52 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

too little too late.

while having a VERY nice interior, the model should NEVER have had back 'seats' (yeah i know it might lower insurance, but on a car like this it's irrelevant), or the most hideous rims ever put on a vehicle for the first few years.

the car had LOADS of potential but they didn't update it, the 4.3/tranny combo were lazy and slow, and the suspension was weak.

and for lexus to not have a successor right now is kinda sad.
Old 01-21-10, 11:56 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
lol don't worry, e93 m3 is at freaking 4100lb. it can still run
Sorry, I'm from the Colin Chapman school of thought . "Add lightness, simplify". If it's good @4100lbs, It will be better at 3600lbs. Any cars dynamic abilities would be better in a lighter package. Less roll, less yaw, less tyre wear, less fuel and brake consumption. Not saying that heavy can't be good, but lighter is almost always better.

p.s. The E93 really eights 4100lbs?
Old 01-21-10, 12:09 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Sorry, I'm from the Colin Chapman school of thought . "Add lightness, simplify". If it's good @4100lbs, It will be better at 3600lbs. Any cars dynamic abilities would be better in a lighter package. Less roll, less yaw, less tyre wear, less fuel and brake consumption. Not saying that heavy can't be good, but lighter is almost always better.

Hell the M6 convertible weighs 4400lbs with a SOFT top.

Old 01-21-10, 12:17 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

yup, that's true. 400lb heavier than the e92 m3. definitely not light, but for the weight i think they did a good job

back to sc. i agree, if they can take out any weight that'd be cool, but for the gs/sc platform, i just have a feeling it's going to be around 4000lb
Old 01-21-10, 12:28 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by (Cj)
I haven't driven the IS-C, but do you think it's structural stable enough for all that power?

I'd like to see a lightweight performance roadster from Lexus, and I'd LOVE to see an IS-F Coupe.
I think so. Cowl shake in the ISC is little compared to the domestic offerings.

ISC already weighs as much as an IS-F. An IS-Fc would be quite the porker.

C'mon Lexus, give us an SC460 Coupe & Convertible and a cracking SC F for those of us that can't get the opportunity to buy an LFA. The ball is in your court, please don't let us down.
IS350C performance numbers are not that far off from the sedan. I would expect the same if there was the 5.0L in it.
Old 01-21-10, 12:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by flipside909
I think so. Cowl shake in the ISC is little compared to the domestic offerings.

IS350C performance numbers are not that far off from the sedan. I would expect the same if there was the 5.0L in it.
is350 and is350c about 350lb apart. with the 5l, i say about .3 to .4 slower to 60. that's the case for m3. but it's more than just the engine though. coz' of the extra weight in the back (quite some weight), suspension has to be re-tuned and analyzed in order to try maintain the balance.
Old 01-21-10, 12:50 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
too little too late.

while having a VERY nice interior, the model should NEVER have had back 'seats' (yeah i know it might lower insurance, but on a car like this it's irrelevant), or the most hideous rims ever put on a vehicle for the first few years.

the car had LOADS of potential but they didn't update it, the 4.3/tranny combo were lazy and slow, and the suspension was weak.

and for lexus to not have a successor right now is kinda sad.
too little too late was a few years back. Although a nice car it is no where near the rest of its competition in terms of power, handling, acceleration, braking, the list goes on and on. The SC is ancient. I cant remember another car that ran for 10 years with no body change ( just minor refreshes to hopefully boost stagnant sales). The design team for the SC is lazier than the guys at Porsche
Old 01-21-10, 01:35 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

R.I.P

It was a beautiful car when it first came out.
Old 01-21-10, 01:40 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
too little too late was a few years back. Although a nice car it is no where near the rest of its competition in terms of power, handling, acceleration, braking, the list goes on and on. The SC is ancient. I cant remember another car that ran for 10 years with no body change ( just minor refreshes to hopefully boost stagnant sales). The design team for the SC is lazier than the guys at Porsche
1st gen SC?
NSX?
Lambo Diablo?
Lambo Gallardo?
Lambo Murcielago?

I could go on.....

Old 01-21-10, 11:35 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Like the last model seems there will be a 1 year hiatus and then the SC comes back.
I am not so sure we will see another SC for a while. The SC430 was the perfect car for 2002-2008....people were making lots of money...everything has changed, Lexus has become considerably less prestigous than before. Lexus has carefully moved most of its lineup to a starting price of less than $50k. A new SC if built the traditional way (V8 engines, overdone interior, etc) will start at $75k...there just is no market for a car like the SC.
Old 01-21-10, 11:48 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
I am not so sure we will see another SC for a while. The SC430 was the perfect car for 2002-2008....people were making lots of money...everything has changed, Lexus has become considerably less prestigous than before. Lexus has carefully moved most of its lineup to a starting price of less than $50k. A new SC if built the traditional way (V8 engines, overdone interior, etc) will start at $75k...there just is no market for a car like the SC.
Not sure if I can agree with all of that. There is still a market for expensive cars and Lexus still sells expensive LS's and GS's. I have also not heard of the brand being thought of as less prestigous than before. The basic fact remains, the current SC is outdated, unwanted, and long in the tooth. I don't think we should skip around that reality and blame it on other things.

A new SC that is equipped and priced like a G37c would go over very well and I hope that's the direction Lexus goes with the next one.
Old 01-21-10, 11:56 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
A new SC that is equipped and priced like a G37c would go over very well
And that is my point exactly about Lexus being less prestigous than in the past.

The G37 starts at $43k..the 10 year old SC starts at $68k...

What you are saying is move the SC down to a less prestigous price point
Old 01-21-10, 11:58 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
A new SC that is equipped and priced like a G37c would go over very well and I hope that's the direction Lexus goes with the next one.
Ummm... That's the IS-C.

The SC will live on in the (near) future. If Jaguar and Maserati (not to mention other brands) can survive with V8 coupes that topple $100k, so can Lexus.
Old 01-22-10, 12:32 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Ummm... That's the IS-C.

The SC will live on in the (near) future. If Jaguar and Maserati (not to mention other brands) can survive with V8 coupes that topple $100k, so can Lexus.
agree, and let's not forget about the 6 series? the clk, e coupe, cl, and sl?

anyway, sc430 comes pretty much loaded with everything, unless other lexus (or brands) with a much lower "starting price" with options to follow. it's moot point to compare the starting point. i am not going to spend my time in going into the discussion about brand, i will talk when things set in
Old 01-22-10, 01:47 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
And that is my point exactly about Lexus being less prestigous than in the past.

The G37 starts at $43k..the 10 year old SC starts at $68k...

What you are saying is move the SC down to a less prestigous price point
I'm not sure, but it's one idea. And as another mentioned, if Jag and others can make a $75k+ coupe work, so could Lexus. There are many posibilities. I look back on the first SC and it's raging success, wishng Lexus kept the second gen more affordable and with a V6 option.

Quick Reply: Lexus SC 430 to End Production, Japanese Special Edition Revealed