Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2010 Kia Forte

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-10, 12:38 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Great write up!
What I dislike about this car and many small ones like it is how they design the dash and console. They all look like "pods" or layers sectioned together. There is no intergrating or smooth flow. I dont' know why it's so easy to blend these sections together in larger cars but so rare with smaller cars. It makes such a difference.

The other issue I have is with the top end model's half-painted black wheels. They look like flowers or something a kid partially colored in on a coloring book! It would be ten times cleaner if they just kept the rims all one color.
Old 01-18-10, 06:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by P Weezy
Yeah i agree. I'll definately go and check it out...if this rain ever stops
SoCal can be like that. It's like a desert from March to November, and then you get Pacific storms the rest of the year.
Old 01-18-10, 06:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by joe80
great review!!
Thanks.

I would love to have a Koupe for my DD. I would probably like this more than civic SI because it's cheaper and looks better to me. it's the best looking coupe under 20k IMO.
Go ahead and indulgle yourself, then, if you have some extra cash lying around, and if you can afford it. A new car is almost always one of the nicer experiences in life. You can probably pick up a new Koup EX for less than what an Si would run (not sure about the Koup SX...depends on options), although keep in mind that the Civic has a solid reliability record, while the Koup is a new and unproven product. However, that long warranty will definitely help there.

Personally, for daily driving, I'd prefer the Koup's more conventional dash/gauges to the Civic's quirky two-tier system.
Old 01-18-10, 06:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Great write up!
Thanks.

What I dislike about this car and many small ones like it is how they design the dash and console. They all look like "pods" or layers sectioned together. There is no intergrating or smooth flow. I dont' know why it's so easy to blend these sections together in larger cars but so rare with smaller cars. It makes such a difference.
The other issue I have is with the top end model's half-painted black wheels. They look like flowers or something a kid partially colored in on a coloring book! It would be ten times cleaner if they just kept the rims all one color.
My guess here (although, admittedly, it's just a guess, not necessarily fact) is that this is a vehicle oriented towards younger buyers, even with the sedan, and that the reasoning is that younger people might find the "integrated" look you describe as rather boring. Most older people, unless they are very low-income seniors, spend more than this for a new car.

I described, in the review, how I thought that the center dash/console looked somewhat like the "boom-box" look that Mitsubishi uses on some of its vehicles in the same center-dash area, particularly on the Endeavor.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-18-10 at 06:58 AM.
Old 01-18-10, 08:28 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks.

Go ahead and indulgle yourself, then, if you have some extra cash lying around, and if you can afford it. A new car is almost always one of the nicer experiences in life. You can probably pick up a new Koup EX for less than what an Si would run (not sure about the Koup SX...depends on options), although keep in mind that the Civic has a solid reliability record, while the Koup is a new and unproven product. However, that long warranty will definitely help there.

Personally, for daily driving, I'd prefer the Koup's more conventional dash/gauges to the Civic's quirky two-tier system.

i actually owned 07 civic SI for about 5 months. then all of sudden, I had a bulging disc, and i couldn't drive a stick shift in Chicago's traffic. i traded in for santa fe. the ricer in me died the day i traded in SI for 08 santa fe. but man, old habits never die. i want a cheap reliable fun car under 20k. that's why i tried so hard to get gen coupe 4 banger, but man gen coupe ain't 20k. lol it's more like 28k OTD at least. damn. i know Rspec is under 25k OTD, but haven't seen Rspec in any of hyundai dealers.

anyway I had mixed feelings about civic SI. my verdict was that i liked previous gen more. i actually think previous gen SI is one of the most underrated driver's car. it's just much more fun than the current gen IMO.
Old 01-18-10, 12:45 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

wow that's a great deal! last time i went mazda dealer it was like 24-25k.
Old 01-18-10, 04:48 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

GREAT as always Mike... as I've said, I continue to be impressed with my Sonata... amazing car for the money!!! Kia just as well
Old 01-18-10, 05:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

i actually owned 07 civic SI for about 5 months. then all of sudden, I had a bulging disc, and i couldn't drive a stick shift in Chicago's traffic. i traded in for santa fe. the ricer in me died the day i traded in SI for 08 santa fe. but man, old habits never die. i want a cheap reliable fun car under 20k. that's why i tried so hard to get gen coupe 4 banger, but man gen coupe ain't 20k. lol it's more like 28k OTD at least. damn. i know Rspec is under 25k OTD, but haven't seen Rspec in any of hyundai dealers.
Sorry to hear about your back problem. They can range from very minor to a real PITA. I hope things have healed up for you....or at least improved

I can understand you swapping for a Santa Fe.....you probably wanted something easier to get in and out of, at seat-butt-height level, without having to stoop or arch your back (that is one thing, BTW, the Subaru Outback really excels at...one of the many reasons why I bought one). And the Santa Fe, of course, is far more flexible, especially in bad weather.

As for the Genesis Coupe, you have to expect it to run more than the Kia Koup. Comparing apples to oranges, it is a lot more car, though, to be honest, the Genesis Coupe's interior cannot compare with the sedan. Base Genesis Coupes, with a turbo 4, start around 22K, but, as you note, can run several thousand more than that with options. The top-level 3.8 Track model I reviewed listed for 33K with options, but, of course, had the 3.8L V6, and what was (arguably) the best chassis/powertrain/steering combination I've ever seen on a Korean-designed car. On the road, it felt and drove like a number of BMWs....I was hard-pressed to tell the difference.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-18-10 at 05:55 PM.
Old 01-18-10, 06:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by meowCat
For a few thousand more bucks you could get an '10 Mazdaspeed 3 if you don't mind the stick shift.
I don't know why Mazda is dragging their feet on a Mazdaspeed3 automatic...that is something I have been suggesting to them for years.

I mean, come on, for Pete's sake. If they can stick a 6-speed auto in the Miata, a classic roadster, for people with bad legs, arms, and backs, I see no no reason why the Mazdaspeed 3 can't get one either. In fact, it would probably also help with the Mazdaspeed3's classic torque steer...they wouldn't have to retard the torque in the lower gears like they do with the manual.
Old 01-18-10, 06:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
GREAT as always Mike...
Thanks, Russ.

as I've said, I continue to be impressed with my Sonata... amazing car for the money!!! Kia just as well
No arguments there. I fully agree the Sonata is an excellent car for the money.

The Forte, admittedly, has good steering response (better than the Sonata's, which tends to be a little on the slow side), but for crusing and ride comfort, there is no comparison. The Sonata roundly trumps the the Forte for cruising/riding comfort and quietness, especially with engine/road noise. If you are taking a longer trip, you will much prefer the Sonata. And the Sonata offers the 5-speed automatic on all of its trim levels....you don't have to buy the top-line version to get it like you do with the Forte.

Kia does, however, offer the mid-sized Optima, a relatively nice sedan that is built on the Sonata platform and offers a number of the Sonata's benefits.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-18-10 at 06:22 PM.
Old 01-18-10, 09:30 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

http://blogs.edmunds.com/strategies/...i-touring.html

very surprising to see forte beating mazda 3.
Old 01-18-10, 09:34 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Mike

My new request

New 2011 sonata. whenever it arrives(wasn't it supposed to be here already?) i think hyundai will make a big splash on Superbowl Ad spot.
Old 01-19-10, 05:47 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I think the Kia Forte Koupe is a great looking car, too bad the review is so disappointing. Kia has a good basic design on their hands with the Forte, they should really try to refine it and make it a higher quality vehicle.
Old 01-19-10, 06:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Mike

My new request

New 2011 sonata. whenever it arrives(wasn't it supposed to be here already?) i think hyundai will make a big splash on Superbowl Ad spot.
Originally Posted by Meow Cat
I am also very excited to hear the review about the new 2011 Sonata. That is one hell of sexy looking vehicle which looks much better than the Genesis Sedan IMO.
OK, guys....I'll put it on the review list. I may get a chance to see it next week at the Washington, D.C. Ahto Show, if Hyundai displays it.....and Hyundai is usually pretty good about displaying new models. A test-drive, of course, will have to wait for availability at dealerships.
Old 01-19-10, 06:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by The G Man
I think the Kia Forte Koupe is a great looking car, too bad the review is so disappointing. Kia has a good basic design on their hands with the Forte, they should really try to refine it and make it a higher quality vehicle.
I must be remembered, of course, that this is an inexpensive car, and that even the base versions around 15-16K include ABS, traction/stability control, mirror-mounted turn signals, remote-located rear seat releases, plenty of interior room for a car of this class, decent handling, a conditional super-long warranty and some other equipment that, to an extent, make up for the car's shortcomings in ride, transmission, and noise control.

Quick Reply: Review: 2010 Kia Forte