Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

new Scions coming: tC and iQ

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-10, 09:42 AM
JHStrange
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
well 1.33l makes 100hp... thats probably what you are getting... it will be faster car than CR-Z ;-)

It will be interesting to see what they will do to make the price more appropriate for Scion... because iQ could have easier been an Lexus than Scion. It was not an chance that AM selected iQ.
Good points spwolf. I was thinking 1.5l because that's the smallest in the Scion now and a larger engine could give it lower revs at cruising speed but 100hp is nothing to sneeze at. I do like the AM styling over the chunky concept they showed and you're right about the Lexus reference, unfortunately that would hurt the volume goals I'm sure they have.
Old 01-17-10, 09:48 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by JHStrange
Good points spwolf. I was thinking 1.5l because that's the smallest in the Scion now and a larger engine could give it lower revs at cruising speed but 100hp is nothing to sneeze at. I do like the AM styling over the chunky concept they showed and you're right about the Lexus reference, unfortunately that would hurt the volume goals I'm sure they have.
it will be interesting to see what prices iQ starts... i reckon it cant be less than 15k... maybe 16k... slightly more than xD but more equipment.

I would not mind owning iQ at all... i had chance to drive it and drives like premium small car.

Last edited by spwolf; 01-17-10 at 10:05 AM.
Old 01-17-10, 09:54 AM
LexFather

It is my opinion a lot of people still sleep on the tC. This car offers A LOT for the money and it actually looks good and not weird/ugly/bland like most others in the segment.

I look forward to what the new tC will be.

As for the IQ, I am very intrigued by this vehicle. What worries me is the price is pretty premium for it in Europe and I am not sure a "Smart" priced I.Q is what the public wants.

Old 01-17-10, 10:59 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

it will be interesting to see what prices iQ starts... i reckon it cant be less than 15k... maybe 16k... slightly more than xD but more equipment.

I would not mind owning iQ at all... i had chance to drive it and drives like premium small car.
The Smart car cost $11.9K in the US and most people aren't going to want to pay more for the Scion equivalent. Smart's are chic and cool and they have the Mercedes-Benz halo in the US. Scion is a cheap youth brand. So Toyota will likely strip the iQ bare and sell it at $9K or $10K.
Old 01-17-10, 12:23 PM
P Weezy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rippaflow
Just don't give the tC more power. Most people I see driving them are very erratic and generally kids. The last thing they need is a more powerful engine.
Ahmen!

I too would like to see spy shots of the TC. I've been a big fan for a while and i agree that they are great little cars
Old 01-17-10, 05:24 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

well I managed to find a pic -- probably not accurate, but....

http://thecollegedriver.com/posts/152-2011-Scion-tC

Images of the next Scion tC co-developed with Subaru have emerged all over the net. We're not exactly sure why Subaru is developing a RWD vehicle since they are known for developing only AWD vehicles, but it's a great team nonetheless. The sketches verify that the tC's styling will be unique and futuristic, with visible cues from Audi and headlights similar to the Chevrolet Volt concept. Since it is a Scion, affordability is key and hopefully the RWD architecture will be sportier than the current Corolla based coupe.
A 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine making around 200 HP (149 kW) will be offered with manual and automatic transmissions, and complement a long list of electronic controls for foul weather conditions. The tC will also be competitively priced with not too many frills standard, but rather a lot of optional equipment and accessories to customize your Scion, and make it your own.

Expect the new tC at Scion dealerships by the end of 2010 or beginning of 2011.

TheCD's Take: An exciting and unique looking Scion with a RWD platform sounds like a success.
Old 01-17-10, 07:07 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bagwell
well I managed to find a pic -- probably not accurate, but....

http://thecollegedriver.com/posts/152-2011-Scion-tC

Images of the next Scion tC co-developed with Subaru have emerged all over the net. We're not exactly sure why Subaru is developing a RWD vehicle since they are known for developing only AWD vehicles, but it's a great team nonetheless. The sketches verify that the tC's styling will be unique and futuristic, with visible cues from Audi and headlights similar to the Chevrolet Volt concept. Since it is a Scion, affordability is key and hopefully the RWD architecture will be sportier than the current Corolla based coupe.
A 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine making around 200 HP (149 kW) will be offered with manual and automatic transmissions, and complement a long list of electronic controls for foul weather conditions. The tC will also be competitively priced with not too many frills standard, but rather a lot of optional equipment and accessories to customize your Scion, and make it your own.

Expect the new tC at Scion dealerships by the end of 2010 or beginning of 2011.

TheCD's Take: An exciting and unique looking Scion with a RWD platform sounds like a success.
Yea that's incredibly inaccurate. The Subaru/Toyota is the FT-86. The current tC is loaded standard (power everything, alloys, panoramic roof, 6 speaker + subwoofer ipod connectivity sound system) and is built on the Avensis platform not Corolla.

From what I understand the tC replacement will be based on the Fuse and Haku concepts. Think box coupe.
Old 01-17-10, 08:16 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Koma
Yea that's incredibly inaccurate. The Subaru/Toyota is the FT-86. The current tC is loaded standard (power everything, alloys, panoramic roof, 6 speaker + subwoofer ipod connectivity sound system) and is built on the Avensis platform not Corolla.

From what I understand the tC replacement will be based on the Fuse and Haku concepts. Think box coupe.
^^What he said.
Old 01-18-10, 02:15 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by (Cj)
The Smart car cost $11.9K in the US and most people aren't going to want to pay more for the Scion equivalent. Smart's are chic and cool and they have the Mercedes-Benz halo in the US. Scion is a cheap youth brand. So Toyota will likely strip the iQ bare and sell it at $9K or $10K.
Smart is not iQ and iQ is not smart... they are similar in the sense that they are cool, but thats about it... iQ is small premium car... just like Mini, just class smaller.

Not sure what exactly they can strip, but they can not make it cheaper than Yaris, because it is not ;-).

Example of 10k Toyota would be Aygo, not iQ... But there is no reason to own Aygo except for its cheapness, and there is no hiding of it either.

Because in USA size = price, they will probably not set some high goals for iQ. Does not make it any less of great car.
Old 01-18-10, 06:51 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Smart is not iQ and iQ is not smart... they are similar in the sense that they are cool, but thats about it... iQ is small premium car... just like Mini, just class smaller.

Not sure what exactly they can strip, but they can not make it cheaper than Yaris, because it is not ;-).

Example of 10k Toyota would be Aygo, not iQ... But there is no reason to own Aygo except for its cheapness, and there is no hiding of it either.

Because in USA size = price, they will probably not set some high goals for iQ. Does not make it any less of great car.
Seeing that the next Yaris will supposedly be based on the iQ, I'm willing to bet they can
Old 01-19-10, 07:16 AM
LexFather

I think at 15k people here will ignore the IQ. Smart sales have fallen off the map.

Old 01-19-10, 10:33 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
It is my opinion a lot of people still sleep on the tC. This car offers A LOT for the money and it actually looks good and not weird/ugly/bland like most others in the segment.

I look forward to what the new tC will be.

As for the IQ, I am very intrigued by this vehicle. What worries me is the price is pretty premium for it in Europe and I am not sure a "Smart" priced I.Q is what the public wants.
The MINI sells well and it's a lot more money than a smart. I think the iQ will sell because it looks like a normal hatchback.

Yeah but at $12k, it doesn't have a radio and only a 2 year warranty. In Canada, we get a CD player as standard equipment (as well as power windows) and a 4 yr/80,000km basic warranty. Ours starts at Cdn$14,900.

Given that it's a Scion, I don't think there will be a stripped version. It will come with power win/lock/mirrors and A/C as well as a CD/MP3 player as standard equipment (wasn't that the point of a Scion?).

In Canada, a Yaris starts at $13-$14k. The Corolla CE starts at $15k, the Matrix at $17k and the smart at $15k.
Old 01-19-10, 10:44 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Nextourer
The MINI sells well and it's a lot more money than a smart. I think the iQ will sell because it looks like a normal hatchback.

Yeah but at $12k, it doesn't have a radio and only a 2 year warranty. In Canada, we get a CD player as standard equipment (as well as power windows) and a 4 yr/80,000km basic warranty. Ours starts at Cdn$14,900.

Given that it's a Scion, I don't think there will be a stripped version. It will come with power win/lock/mirrors and A/C as well as a CD/MP3 player as standard equipment (wasn't that the point of a Scion?).

In Canada, a Yaris starts at $13-$14k. The Corolla CE starts at $15k, the Matrix at $17k and the smart at $15k.
Scion isn't even sold in Canada yet, so its yet to be seen what Toyota Canada will do with the brand packaging-wise, but here in the US the iQ can't be priced over or even near $15K.

As spywolf said above, here in the US size=price, and the iQ is MUCH smaller than any current Scion. It's much smaller than the Mini as well.

Realistically the Smart is going to be the iQ's prime competitor here and Smart has the benefit of the Mercedes Benz halo. Go to Smart's US website and you see references to Mercedes all over the place.

With that prestige element, Toyota can't really price the iQ too high. $9K might not be realistic, but it can't have a base price as high as the Corolla or else it won't sell at all.

I'm hopeful that the price will be lower than the Yaris, though, because in the UK the iQ is cheaper than the Yaris...
Old 01-19-10, 10:53 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Will the xD be discontinued? It seems like the black sheep of the family: too conservative, too weak, and too bland. It's a Corolla that does not appeal to the masses.

The tC and xB has enough power and pizazz to keep the young'uns entertained. They also have vast modding capabilities.

The iQ has enough quirkiness and oddity to make a statement like the first-gen xB.

What should happen is that Scion should discontinue the xD and replace it with the iQ, and give it the xD pricing bracket of about $14k manual transmission, $15k automatic.
Old 01-20-10, 12:03 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Scion isn't even sold in Canada yet, so its yet to be seen what Toyota Canada will do with the brand packaging-wise, but here in the US the iQ can't be priced over or even near $15K.

As spywolf said above, here in the US size=price, and the iQ is MUCH smaller than any current Scion. It's much smaller than the Mini as well.

Realistically the Smart is going to be the iQ's prime competitor here and Smart has the benefit of the Mercedes Benz halo. Go to Smart's US website and you see references to Mercedes all over the place.

With that prestige element, Toyota can't really price the iQ too high. $9K might not be realistic, but it can't have a base price as high as the Corolla or else it won't sell at all.

I'm hopeful that the price will be lower than the Yaris, though, because in the UK the iQ is cheaper than the Yaris...
True but what does your base Yaris have? For us, we have a stripped version that starts at $14-15k (I apologise. I didn't realise it had a price hike.. Hatch starts at $13,905, sedan at $14,990). If you want A/C, power win/lock/mirrors & automatic, you're shelling out $18k (incls. side airbags though) on the hatchback $17-$18k on the sedan. If an iQ comes in at $15k with the standard Scion stuff, it's a pretty damn good deal. But yeah, it'll depend on how TCI prices Scion.

Quick Reply: new Scions coming: tC and iQ