Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The 50 Worst Cars of All Time

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-10, 01:26 PM
Red Bully
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think the ssr will be worth some thing one day i think it was ahead of its time
Old 01-08-10, 07:57 AM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

They forgot about the Chevy Vega, what a POS. Not to mention the early Subaru's with the wet sleeves.
Old 01-08-10, 10:53 PM
f=ma
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've own only one car on that list: Ford Excursion. It's been good to me, can't complain.
Old 01-09-10, 08:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by f=ma
I've own only one car on that list: Ford Excursion. It's been good to me, can't complain.
What do you think of the Excursion's road manners?

No offense, as I know you own one, but the one I test-drove several years ago was like a dinosaur. It bobbed up and down over the slightest road imperfections, wandered all over the place, thumped and crashed over bumps, and, coming to a stop, you could actually watch and feel the nose bob down. It was difficult for me to drive. From what I could tell, the enormous weight (some 7000 lbs., even unloaded) was just too much for the chassis/underpinnings, making it perhaps the sloppiest-handling mass-production vehicle I've ever driven.
Old 01-09-10, 11:54 AM
f=ma
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall

No offense, as I know you own one, but the one I test-drove several years ago was like a dinosaur. It bobbed up and down over the slightest road imperfections, wandered all over the place, thumped and crashed over bumps, and, coming to a stop, you could actually watch and feel the nose bob down. It was difficult for me to drive. From what I could tell, the enormous weight (some 7000 lbs., even unloaded) was just too much for the chassis/underpinnings, making it perhaps the sloppiest-handling mass-production vehicle I've ever driven.
you hit it right on the nose. i've ridden elephants in thailand that handle better than it.
Old 01-09-10, 03:49 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

not to mention sucking down a ton of petroleum products
Old 01-10-10, 12:34 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by f=ma
you hit it right on the nose. I've ridden elephants in thailand that handle better than it.
:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d

Old 01-10-10, 02:37 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lil4X
The cars seem to fall into categories:
  • Early models being judged against modern standards - Yes, the Model "T" was a crude attempt at mass-produced private transport, but it has to be judged in the context of its time, when automobiles were hand made, often by unskilled workers. Note that radios and airplanes of that era were similarly crude by our standards.

• Bold attempts to push the envelope produced many cars that were introduced well before their time. Building a production automobile as a showcase for your engineering innovations is not the key to wide popularity. The Chrysler Airflow and the Corvair were "clean sheet of paper" designs that were probably doomed from the outset, thanks to being a large collection of innovative parts that overlooked a few basic requirements. Corvair's gasoline-fired heater, Horsey's idea for the fuel tank out front (and Morgan's propane tank out back) simply ignored good sense, and Lincoln (and Edsel's) HVAC controls as well as BMW's i-Drive, made rather simple controls into maddeningly complex exercises in engineering excess.

• Minimalist cars, from the Pinto/Vega era and the post-war European designs that were all developed to be "affordable" cars. They serve as illustrations that whacking away the fat often cuts through to the bone. Cheap cars are usually cheap cars, others are conceptually flawed. Colin Chapman was a master of automotive efficiency, once opining that a proper race car should fall apart as it crossed the finish line - otherwise it was overweight and fell short of its performance potential. The Lotus Elite subscribed to this theory and obediently fell apart every few hundred miles.

• Finally the marketing mistakes and the models sold long after their expiration date like the Edsel, Hummer, and the like. Most of the time going to the parts bin to create a new automobile out of what's already available is a bad idea. Edsel, Gremlin, Cimarron, and a couple of Triumphs make the point.
I disagree with over half of the selections here, but everyone's entitled to their own list.
Complete agree.
Old 01-10-10, 06:07 PM
f=ma
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bagwell
not to mention sucking down a ton of petroleum products
hahahaha reminds me of a story. When I first got that truck the gas prices was about 1.75/gallon give or take. And the truck had like a 40 gallon gas tank. It also averaged around 10 mpg, mind you I bought the v10 not the diesel. So what I distinctly remember was that back then before gas prices sky rocketed, the gas pump would stop at $50 and I would have to swipe my CC again and pump twice. And my wife would look at my CC statement be all confused....
Old 01-10-10, 09:46 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

This car should easily make this list