Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

So I Injured My Dad's IS.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-10, 07:16 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Thanks fellas. Just seems wrong to borrow someones car, damage it, and then not take responsibility for fixing it.
You're a great son, your father should be proud of you
Old 01-03-10, 08:51 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tromly
You're a great son, your father should be proud of you
Thanks.

I'll be interested to see how much this is going to cost. Someone recently ran into my Legacy and it ran about $240 to repaint the bumper. I did it at a shop that specializes in repainting without removing the bumper. The estimate I got for a full blown sanding and repainting was $450, which didn't seem worth it to me on an 11 year old car even though I wasn't paying for it. $240 got me a bumper that looks brand new, despite the owner of the shop telling me it wouldnt look perfect. It really does. Therefore, I don't mind taking the IS there and even meant to get an estimate on my mom's RX for some door dings that need fixing. The shop owner actually had a couple Jags, a Boxster, and an M3 in his garage that he was workin on so I do trust that his work will last.
Old 01-03-10, 01:41 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 162 Likes on 95 Posts

Thanks fellas. Just seems wrong to borrow someones car, damage it, and then not take responsibility for fixing it.
Still. It's very rare to hear about right and wrong and doing the right thing even though it's inconvenient. Your display of behavior is above and beyond today's "me first" idea and it's refreshing to read.
Old 01-03-10, 02:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

And this generally shows the high caliber of people we have here on CAR CHAT.
Old 01-03-10, 03:59 PM
LexFather

Glad you are okay and way to "man up"

Old 01-03-10, 09:12 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm hoping for the best possible outcome.
Old 01-04-10, 05:55 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

SLegacy99, it sounds like it wouldn’t have matter which car you have in that situation, you would not have been able to stop because you really have no control. AWD will help you accelerate, but it will not help you in stopping. It sounds like both you and your dad need new tires, I would stay away from the GY eagle RS if I were you.
In a snow storm situation, cars and the pedestrian usually share the road. When I approach a pedestrian walking the street in a storm, I slow down as I get close, just in case if anything happening like in your case. Especially going downhill, you should test brake and see if you really have control and test the surface of the road to see how slippery it is. And even though you think you were already going slow, it was obvious that you were still going too fast.
Old 01-04-10, 06:23 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Slick85
Glad you're ok and that the car is not badly damaged...

That being said, I wanted to defend the poor pedestrian that everybody is bad mouthing. As someone that lives in the city and is more a pedestrian than a driver, I understand that the guy was probably walking on the street because he was not able to walk on the sidewalk. Cities, Towns whatever seem to totally neglect the sidewalks and wonder why people have to resort to walking on the street; causing accidents. Again, being a lot of times the pedestrian, I'm sick of drivers acting like they're superior, we do not walk on the streets because we want to, it's just so we don't end up on our faces with broken teeth... perhaps take that up with your town instead of bad talking the poor guy. That is all...
may be true, BUT I still see people walk IN THE MIDDLE OF THE STREET for no reason at all (I live in Houston where snow is not an issue).

sure the pedestrian has the right of way --- but I feel like he loses that right when he's in the middle of the street not even trying to be avoided.

BOT -- SLegacy99 -- glad the damage was relatively minor and there were no injuries, let us know what the repaint costs - be sure to get at least 2 estimates.
Old 01-04-10, 08:02 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Slick85
That being said, I wanted to defend the poor pedestrian that everybody is bad mouthing. As someone that lives in the city and is more a pedestrian than a driver, I understand that the guy was probably walking on the street because he was not able to walk on the sidewalk. Cities, Towns whatever seem to totally neglect the sidewalks and wonder why people have to resort to walking on the street; causing accidents. Again, being a lot of times the pedestrian, I'm sick of drivers acting like they're superior, we do not walk on the streets because we want to, it's just so we don't end up on our faces with broken teeth... perhaps take that up with your town instead of bad talking the poor guy. That is all...
I certainly understand that, under those conditions, people needed to walk in the middle of the street. However, just because, legally, the pedestrian has right-of-way, that doesn't mean that they can simply walk around oblivious to their surroundings.

While "pedestrians have the right-of-way" may be the law, in "Car Versus Person"...the person loses, every time.

I see it all the time here in Washington DC...people who step out into the street...without looking...against the walk signal. Why? Because they have the right-of-way!

That's fine...so, when you step in front of my car that's doing 40 MPH, and are nothing but a red splotch on my undercarriage...we can all sit around going "Ew...I'm probably never going to get that stain off the car...but, you know, he did have right-of-way."
Old 01-04-10, 09:09 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I understand that it is hard for pedestrians to walk on a sidewalk that has snow/ice on it, but it is also very difficult for drivers to drive on slick roads, and pedestrians walking on the roads are only making it much more difficult and dangerous. We don't drive on the sidewalks, so please dont walk in the middle of the road, and if you absolutely must, try to at least be aware of the surrounding and yield to cars.
Old 01-04-10, 01:04 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got an estimate of $233. The estimate would have been lower if the paint color were a typical one. Not too shabby.