Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Aston Martin Cygnet (Toyota IQ) updated from Geneva (update) starts at $49,500

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-09, 10:52 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

It just looks like a 12k car with a 9k interior and a slapped on grille
Old 12-16-09, 11:32 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
It just looks like a 12k car with a 9k interior and a slapped on grille
But it is!
Old 12-16-09, 12:32 PM
ndk83
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

freakin awesome, haha id rock the pants of tht bad boy
Old 12-16-09, 02:11 PM
LexFather

Part of me wants to hug it and the other part says kill it with fire.....

Old 12-16-09, 02:20 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by knihc2008
While I do agree, I believe the Cygnet will only be for sale to those who already have an Aston Martin. The Cygnet will effectively be their "beater" car when they don't want to drive their Aston Martin around. That way not EVERYONE can just up and get a Cygnet, so the dilution of the Aston Martin brand won't be so bad. Plus, it's an effective way of lowering the company's average CO2 emissions.
thats because they do not know if there will be demand for iQ outside Aston Martin customers... if there is, rest assured they will sell it. Nothing wrong with Aston Martin IQ.
Old 12-16-09, 02:21 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Nope.

CAFE Standards will require automakers to have a fleet average of 35 mpg. Since Aston only has gas-guzzling sports cars, it needs something to offset the difference.

Aston's collaboration with Toyota is just the thing...
Cafe standards do not apply to small manufacturers like Aston... same goes for EU laws.
Old 12-16-09, 02:24 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Cafe standards do not apply to small manufacturers like Aston... same goes for EU laws.
It will in the U.S. by 2016.
Old 12-16-09, 06:29 PM
knihc2008
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spwolf
thats because they do not know if there will be demand for iQ outside Aston Martin customers... if there is, rest assured they will sell it. Nothing wrong with Aston Martin IQ.
Doubtful. They don't want every bloke driving around in an Aston Martin. They need to be able to sell this car to lower CAFE standards and still not dilute the brand name and image too much. Only selling this car to Aston Martin owners, no matter external demand, is just the way to do it.
Old 12-21-09, 12:34 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Aston Martin was car-**** 4 me until they went and did this,,

How can James Bond recover the control disk for the dual GoldenEye satellite weapons driving something like this?

Brace yourself. Aston Martin just released more detailed photos of its Cygnet luxury minicar, and it isn’t pretty. In fact, it looks a lot like Toyota’s Euro-based iQ on which it’s based.

Jalopnik, which published official photos this morning, writes: “[T]he looks are...umm...well...as these first official images show, the Cygnet is still closely based on the Toyota iQ city car, retaining the same basic body shape and even the same front lights. The front has been given a heavy Aston-style rework, however, complete with trademark grille and even miniature bonnet vents.”

Inside, the Cygnet will feature new colors and higher-quality materials, but retain the iQ’s “instrument pack and architecture,” adds Autocar. And though it has yet to be confirmed, industry analysts believe that it’s also likely to feature the iQ’s 1.3-liter four-cylinder engine.

So what’s the general consensus? Most critics would agree with USA Today’s assessment: “[I]t could be the perfect car for a paunchy, middle-aged Bond, who long ago lost his license to kill and now works as a British bureaucrat.”

Nevertheless, Aston Martin is touting the new Cygnet as a big win for the environment. “Aston says the Cygnet concept ‘represents a creative, environmentally conscious solution, being small, yet with presence – and highly fuel efficient, now combined with the prestige of Aston Martin's luxury brand ownership,’” write USA Today.

However, Motor Authority asserts that Aston is just trying to nab itself a piece of the mini-car pie: “The luxury automaker has identified that around 30% of existing customers have small cars such as a Mini or Smart ForTwo in their garages for city traffic.”

Regardless, the Cygnet is expected to hit the European auto market in 2010 before making its way further west. Initially it will only be offered to current Aston Martin owners, but will eventually be made available to the general public. Expect a sticker price of $32,000.
http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/auto...uxury-minicar/

Last edited by trukn1; 12-21-09 at 12:48 AM.
Old 12-21-09, 01:22 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

wow, i think this hurts the brand. now every joe blow will buy it because it's an aston martin. won't make people drool over the brand anymore.

hope this is a joke. i want an aston martin in dark grey.
Old 12-21-09, 01:29 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

actually... this will only be available to aston owners... not anybody who walks in asking for one. (at least thats whats been said so far... )

Personally... i think its a great idea
Old 12-21-09, 03:28 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

did you see the suv/cuv monstrosity too? i assume aston HAS to do the smart type car to bring up their average fuel economy.
Old 12-21-09, 04:19 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Can you imagine the look on some chick's face when she sees her boyfriends' Aston Martin ?? It's going to be a smackdown !!
Old 12-21-09, 04:39 AM
Rash
hmm

I like this car.
Old 12-21-09, 04:51 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

What's the point?!

Quick Reply: Aston Martin Cygnet (Toyota IQ) updated from Geneva (update) starts at $49,500